Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Unless it's a full reboot, or such a wild shift in direction that it's indistinguishable from the same? Kill it, cease publication, buy up all existing copies to burn them and bury the ashes in a desert, and cut out the tongues of those who would dare to speak of them. If humanity ever perishes and aliens archaeologists try and deduce our culture from what we leave behind, they must never know we were responsible for this.
    I'm getting the impression that you're not a fan.
    Assassinate Putin!

Well, with the end of the New52 Superman, there is indeed again space for a begginer Superman.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

My thinking with this is that this is a chance to sort of "redeem" the books in the eyes of fans who passed them over in the past or just don't like the direction they originally started in. I like them because they are a back-to-basics look at the heroes involved. But you also have to come at them with an understanding that they are meant to take the characters in a different direction. Someone like Greg Pak would be a perfect successor to JMS for this title and bring a little more "classic" Superman to the character. Show he's growing up and is taking his role a little more seriously. I don't trust Johns with Superman anymore. Sorry. It's not really a joke that all he wants to do is reboot the guy. Besides, he's already doing a decent job with Batman Earth One.

I agree there needs to be some stand alone graphic novels. Especially since I think that some 20 years or so down the line that's where we're going to be anyway. I would hate to just throw this experiment away and have yet another reboot for no reason. It makes more sense to try to salvage what they have now. The real problem with these books, and I don't think this was intentional, was that there is just too much time between volumes to hold people's interests. Three to four year waits is just ridiculous. One a year sounds more reasonable. And I think that might have been the original intention and it just got away from them.

I don't know how dedicated DC is to this experiment. It really does seem to be completely random in terms of when they put stuff out and that's going to kill it in the long run. Especially if the time between volumes gets further and further apart. They either need to take this more seriously and set up a whole new division for it or just kill it and move on.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Well, with the end of the New52 Superman, there is indeed again space for a begginer Superman.
    I think New 52 hurt the series overall. It only started a year before New 52 and then you had two 20 year old Supermen flying around? What was the point of that? Earth One was supposed to be for new readers what New 52 turned out to be. A whole new start for people who might not otherwise pick up a comic book out of fear of years of backstory.
    Assassinate Putin!

Having never read or followed Earth One, what was so bad about it?
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 07-20-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Having never read or followed Earth One, what was so bad about it?
    In the first volume, a group of aliens attack Earth looking for him and he waits until the last minute to stop them. As in, just before Jimmy is about to be killed. He also seems to be somewhat indifferent to humanity in general. The in-book explanation for this is that he's had to hide his powers all his life so he is a little detached from other people. He wants a "normal" life so he tries to refrain from using his powers. As a result, he comes off a little selfish. Now, in later volumes he starts to become a little more caring and even gets a girlfriend who helps break down some of his detachment to humanity. But he makes mistakes. Like overthrowing a dictator because he wouldn't let him help people in a tsunami. This freaks the world out who already didn't trust him. It's kind of like MOS in that sense. "Here is this incredibly powerful being who thinks he can just do whatever he wants". The general theme of all the Earth One books seems to be that these are the "beta" versions of these characters. They haven't quite got the hang of being heroes yet. So, for instance, Earth One Batman isn't a very good detective at first and makes a lot of mistakes (his grappling hook breaks the first time he tries to use it, for instance). In the second volume, Jim Gordon even makes the comment to him that he isn't a very good detective. All the tropes that we associate with Batman he screws up. He's no "Bat-god".
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

I side with those that want Superman: Earth One to start from scratch again.

There's just too much for a new writer to deal with if they have to follow the last three volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    If future American Alien stuff is moving forward, would that also make Earth One redundant?

I loathed everything that followed Morrison's Action run, but since he's doing All-Star Wonder Woman, why not give him the reigns of the whole line?

Relaunch Superman E1 with a Superman who is essentially the New 52 version, but not in the armored suit. Kents can be gone, story beats from the Action run can be referenced, but the story moves forward. If there's anyone needing to know why the changes occurred, blame it on what Superman Earth-Zero did in Reborn: he and Lois rest the Earth-Zero timeline which then altered all other Earths in the orrery. Morrison can even spend more time with the early Action, GA-power levels Superman who fights injustice, etc.
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I really did not care for JMS's take on Superman whatsoever, so I checked out very quickly and didn't even finish reading Volume One. How did the rest of the volumes play out? Is the character salvageable or is a soft reboot the only option moving forward?

As far as I know, all of the characters have operated independently from one another, so it's not like rebooting the Earth One Superman would be a problem. I think the books sold relatively well, but I have yet to meet more than one or two fans who have any fondness for them at all. That doesn't strike me as a particularly strong foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I really did not care for JMS's take on Superman whatsoever, so I checked out very quickly and didn't even finish reading Volume One. How did the rest of the volumes play out? Is the character salvageable or is a soft reboot the only option moving forward?

As far as I know, all of the characters have operated independently from one another, so it's not like rebooting the Earth One Superman would be a problem. I think the books sold relatively well, but I have yet to meet more than one or two fans who have any fondness for them at all. That doesn't strike me as a particularly strong foundation.
    It can be salvaged. Like I said up top, he kind of softened in later volumes and I would put someone like Pak on him. I would just hate to see them reboot Superman AGAIN when this isn't even the mainstream version. With the EO books all they have to do is never make another volume and he goes away. Given the sparseness of the entire EO line, I don't know how much longer this series is going to last anyway.
    Assassinate Putin!

Yes.. For now I enjoyed this.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty jealous. https://previewsworld.com/Article/19...oman-Earth-One

Wonder Woman Earth One Vol 1 had its faults (Morrison himself admitting to them) but he's back on it, and Vol 2 looks pretty good. Love, love, love me some pulpy Nazi fighting.

Between this, GL: Earth One, Aquaman: Earth One, Flash: Earth One, and Batman: Earth One Vol 3, I've kind of got Earth One envy lol. Yeah we've already had 3 vols to get it right (and we haven't), but we're getting a new film pretty soon (possibly as soon as 2019 if a script is possibly already done http://screenrant.com/man-steel-2-di...-jane-goldman/) so maybe that my be some incentive to put another one of these out?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Yea they should i liked the premise i would buy it again

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    I loathed everything that followed Morrison's Action run, but since he's doing All-Star Wonder Woman, why not give him the reigns of the whole line?

Relaunch Superman E1 with a Superman who is essentially the New 52 version, but not in the armored suit. Kents can be gone, story beats from the Action run can be referenced, but the story moves forward. If there's anyone needing to know why the changes occurred, blame it on what Superman Earth-Zero did in Reborn: he and Lois rest the Earth-Zero timeline which then altered all other Earths in the orrery. Morrison can even spend more time with the early Action, GA-power levels Superman who fights injustice, etc.
    you know this isn't a bad idea