Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Grant Morrison Announces Second Arkham Asylum Book

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...arth-one-book/

Will be 120 pages. Art by Chris Burnham. Set on Earth 666.

Curious how Burnham's art will compare to McKean's. I think that he played a large part in what makes the original so fantastic. Arkham Asylum is perhaps my favorite Batman story, so I'm pretty excited for this.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 07-20-2017 at 04:12 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Zstop9m.jpg

Where can I surrender my money in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-20-2017 at 03:18 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    Curious how Burnham's art will compare to McKean's.
    I don't expect Burnham to look radically different, unless it's via McKean-esque coloring. But his Nameless project with Morrison was pretty trippy, so maybe it'll look more like that. Or not and it will look similar to Incorporated again.

A page from Nameless:
    https://nothingbutcomics.files.wordp...924_180456.jpg
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-20-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Great news they work extremely well together hopefully Morrison keeps cranking out graphic novels for DC.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I don't expect Burnham to look radically different, unless it's via McKean-esque coloring. But his Nameless project with Morrison was pretty trippy, so maybe it'll look more like that. Or not and it will look similar to Incorporated again.

A page from Nameless:
    https://nothingbutcomics.files.wordp...924_180456.jpg
    I liked Burnham's work in Batman Incorporated, but it doesn't hold a candle to McKean, IMO. His art took Asylum to a whole new level.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    I liked Burnham's work in Batman Incorporated, but it doesn't hold a candle to McKean, IMO. His art took Asylum to a whole new level.
    I agree. And that's kinda my point: AA 2 clearly isn't gonna ride on earthshattering unique masterpiece art.

Which to me is fine. I love Morrison's writing. Liefeld could be drawing this and I'd be all in (but hate Liefeld).

BANNED

This doesn't suck at all. Always nice to see Morrison announce new stories.

I'm excited to see Morrison write adult Damian again.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Whoa, just saw that now:
    And also a sequel to Arkham Asylum, with Chris Burnham on art, at 120 pages. Morrison compares it to Luc Beson, and says it will be all-encompassing, and set in the world of Batman #666.
    I'm fine with that. Batman #666 was something that I loved more and more, read after read. Kubert I think was the perfectest for it, but I really like Burnham's style with it too.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-20-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Of all the things I was expecting, an Arkham Asylum sequel with Damian as Batman was not one of them .

Curious to see what this is like. A part of me can't help but feel like this might be more of a coda for Damian on Morrison's part, or at least that timeline he created in Batman #666.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A part of me can't help but feel like this might be more of a coda for Damian on Morrison's part, or at least that timeline he created in Batman #666.
    I feel like you're right on this. But it will also be an excuse for Morrison to kinda continue to hard tackle nihilism and the modern/future world, two things that have been on his mind with Nameless and Annihilator. He could do it with present Bruce too, but I think he might think the future setting of apocalypse is better to do a piece kinda critical of a world where the nihilstic feeling bleak Walking Dead and Game of Thrones are so popular. He's been keen to criticize apocalyptic fiction and that mindset (all his career really, but also especially so since when he noticed the bleak True Detective and read Thomas Ligotti and etc he said).

I guess I'm kinda saying maybe no one should be surprised that the #666 world is the setting given Morrison's repeatedly stated ruminations since writing Batman #666.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-20-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Deleted old info

On one hand, I think the dark future established in Batman #666 has already fulfilled its purpose, and if anyone else was writing this, I'd give it a pass. On the other hand, this is Grant Morrison we're talking about here. If he's writing this, he's got something interesting and meaningful to say about it, so I'm on board.

Astonishing Member

Rather than a coda I really see this as another oroboros. My mind was kind of "Kerpewwwww" by the announcement, just because Arkham Asylum, though 18 years earlier and not officially part of Morrison's Batman run is still sort of the beginning of his run on that character and so now, five (or six, if it's a 2018 book) years after the run ends, we go back to Arkham Asylum, for something that will assuredly be bombastic and ridiculous, like a hyper-dark satire of the original, thanks to the nature of the Damian 666 future, only filled with whatever ridiculous villains might occupy that 666 future setting.

It's such a weird and novel concept, too, literally trying to jump the shark with your own celebrated earliest work. Burnham is the perfect partner for it.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

So glad I logged at 2.20am. What a surprise Arkham Asylum set in the 666 world this is going to be a wild ride,