Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... LastLast

Default Superman in Doomsday Clock

With SDCC going and news starting to come in about this big story, I figured starting a new thread about what we hear about Superman instead of necro'ing an older thread. At least I think this was proper, if not my apologies.

And I guess I'll get started with this: When I say discussing future info about Superman and this story, it should be a buttload of stuff because--and this is the first time in a long time anything Johns has said has made me hyped--here's a direct quite about Superman's role in Doomsday Clock:

More panels were shown: an x-ray of a skull. “Somebody’s sick,” Johns said, matter-of-factly. Then a Metropolis skyline with the Daily Planet building visible, prompting DiDio to ask if Superman was integral to the story. “He is the story,” Johns said.
    Word to everyone's mother, that is a cool quote. I mean, there's talk and there's backing up said talk but I can't remember the last time Superman was even talked about in regards to having this kind of stature and presence in a major event story.

One other note, this take's place one year into the future. So when issue #1 comes out in November, we'll be reading about a Superman who's one year older, and everyone else for that matter. Being a 12 issue series, its designed so that by the time the 12th issue hits, the rest of the DCU has caught up with that final issue. I don't know how strict or liberal they'll be with this but its like the next year comic book time will be really close to real time.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-20-2017 at 06:02 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Sounds like Luthor will be meeting Ozymandias.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...ay-clock-sdcc/

I'm excited .

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Reading about this panel shows why I love Johns. He loves these characters and puts so much effort into them. I love his comment about how there are no bad characters just bad stories. I also love how he likes writing characters that are said to "not work".

Anyway, the emphasis on Superman is strong and I'm interested in this one year later thing.

I'm curious about the "one year later" thing and if it'll tease stuff that hasn't happened in the DCU yet but will by the time the event ends (since the timelines will sync).

Might be as close as it gets to tie-ins.

You know, that quote about someone being sick has got me thinking. Before, I thought it was something that was going to be related to another player in the story, and only added it because it was a part of the total sentence. But now I'm wondering. Could it be Jon or Lois who gets sick (btw, the x-ray of said skull appears to show a tumor)?
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Prediction: several changes taking place during the skipped year will be revealed in the first issue, including the return of the classic uniform, the return of at least Ma or Pa Kent, and possibly Clark's Superboy career and the LoSH. Time is at the core of this story and there's no way the LoSH won't be involved.
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    You know, that quote about someone being sick has got me thinking. Before, I thought it was something that was going to be related to another player in the story, and only added it because it was a part of the total sentence. But now I'm wondering. Could it be Jon or Lois who gets sick (btw, the x-ray of said skull appears to show a tumor)?
    Kinda like Jenny Slater in Watchmen? That might be an interesting parallel.

Anyone know who this person is?
    IMG_20170720_154909-600x450.jpg

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

It's a new character.

"Another panel was a close-up of a blonde woman. “That’s another panel from issue #1. I’ll just say that’s a new character. And she’s in a prison cell.”"
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Completely unsupported off-hand guess of the day: She's an alien from Titan and also an ancestor of Imra Ardeen.

She's blonde and imprisoned, like Saturn Girl currently is. That's all the thought that went into it, lol.

Lex Luthor has brain cancer.

Calling it now. Issue #986 of Action says "when Lex confronts Mr. Oz alone, one walks away changed forever."

Johns says “somebody’s sick,” when this picture comes up.

The last thing Johns says is “I love seeing the smartest man in one world talk to the smartest man in another,” and “the smartest man from the DC world is Lex Luthor. And that’s all I’ll say.” And it's worth noting that this comes shortly after Johns talking about the X-ray and it comes with no picture for it. So it makes me feel like Lex is the guy in the X-ray.

I think Oz aka spoilers:
    Silver age Jor-El (still prepossessing how I feel about this, but mostly optimistic)
    end of spoilers tell Lex about his cancer, thus Lex "walks away changed forever." The X-ray is Lex getting a second opinion. Didn't this Lex have cancer before?

Maybe this is where Lex starts his turn back to evil? Kind of like "f#%k dude, I'm trying to be a good person and I still get cancer?!" If this is true, then it's pretty evocative of the Comedian's breakdown, and Janey Slater's cancer.

Side note: looks like Veidt himself might be in the mix given that Johns specifies the DCU when he marks Lex as the smartest. I don't think he'll Mr Oz though. Veidt still isn't someone Clark would know.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-20-2017 at 10:30 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Very possible. Admittedly though I was thinking Lois. Wouldn't be the first time Superman trying to save her draws him into an epic tale. Oz is supposed to make a personal visit to her soon as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Very possible. Admittedly though I was thinking Lois. Wouldn't be the first time Superman trying to save her draws him into an epic tale. Oz is supposed to make a personal visit to her soon as well.
    Also possible. Has lot's of pathos to it. Also hit's the Jenny Slater mark in it's own way.

I mainly hope for Lex because, like you, I want his turn back to evil to be on the foundation of something with some substance. I figure brain cancer is a pretty strong way to go about it. Super punch to the nuts given that Lex's mind is what makes him so amazing and "the smartest man from the DC world." The idea of anything coming from his brain being poison to him is pretty interesting to me.

Plus the who parallels to Watchmen thing with Janey Slater's cancer case being caused by Jon (obviously we know the truth). They might spin it in a way that makes Lex feel it's Superman's fault. That would also work as a macabre twist on the Silver age hair loss origin.

Fantastic Member

I think Superlad is most likely right. It makes sense that Lex would be the one with brain cancer since him being the smartest man was emphasized so much.

It would be very devastating for Lex since his intellect is his super power, and he ends up with a cancer that not only debilitates you physically but mentally as well.

Quote Originally Posted by stephtanner View Post
    It would be very devastating for Lex since his intellect is his super power, and he ends up with a cancer that not only debilitates you physically but mentally as well.
    Look at me over here coming up with the theory but missing the real meat and potatoes of it lol Good freakin' catch stephtanner!!!

The idea that not only does he become physically (a source of insecurity for him) debilitated but also mentally (is only leg up over Clark) is too good. That would give a whole new meaning to his battle suit. It would then become the only time where he feels in control. Chilling.

Again, great catch!
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-20-2017 at 11:13 PM.