Page 35 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

So far it seems Superman has no effect whatsoever on the storyline.

In other words, Supes is basically what Tv Tropes calls a “Pinball Protagonist”.

Apart from an occasional check, I had given up on this series.
    Last edited by Rod G; 08-20-2018 at 07:52 AM.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Maybe it's my memory, but I don't remember anything particularly negative about Johns' Superman. Perhaps the "orange juice" scene.
    To be fair though to Johns most of the times he wrote Superman he was being the 'company man" who gave DC probably what they wanted. His ACTION run with Donner and then later Gary Frank was during a time (2006-2009) where DC /Warners were obsessed with synergy and at that time the philosophy at DC was that everything needed to reflect the Donner films in some fashion. So that is what Johns wrote. Bumbling over the top Clark Kent and corny platatude spouting Superman and all. Now there were great individual issues in there and nice world building, but I was gravitating towards Kurt Busiek's rendition of Kal himself more than Johns.

With the New 52 and his JL Superman the philosophy at DC was Superman was going to be portrayed as less human and more alien with an emphasis on him being all glowing eyed floating demigod " bad ass"...So that is what Johns did during much of his JL run with Superman. He was less a character than a plot device. Floating in the background more often than not. Looking intimidating.

Ironically enough my favorite run of Johns on Superman was his very short lived New 52 stint on the Superman book. He didn't write Supes as a Reeve impersonation nor was he the stoic alien of JL, but a nice balance.

However I think my opinion of Johns on Superman overall is colored by the fact that both times he had a high profile run on Superman, he bailed in the middle of a story or story set up that subsequently fell apart in his absense heralding the low points of those perspective eras. True its not his fault that the creators that came after him on the New Krypton story fumbled the ball, nor was he directly responsible for the conception of the Truth story that sprung up in his wake, but let's just say whenever Johns writes Superman in the future, I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    To be fair though to Johns most of the times he wrote Superman he was being the 'company man" who gave DC probably what they wanted. His ACTION run with Donner and then later Gary Frank was during a time (2006-2009) where DC /Warners were obsessed with synergy and at that time the philosophy at DC was that everything needed to reflect the Donner films in some fashion. So that is what Johns wrote. Bumbling over the top Clark Kent and corny platatude spouting Superman and all. Now there were great individual issues in there and nice world building, but I was gravitating towards Kurt Busiek's rendition of Kal himself more than Johns.

With the New 52 and his JL Superman the philosophy at DC was Superman was going to be portrayed as less human and more alien with an emphasis on him being all glowing eyed floating demigod " bad ass"...So that is what Johns did during much of his JL run with Superman. He was less a character than a plot device. Floating in the background more often than not. Looking intimidating.

Ironically enough my favorite run of Johns on Superman was his very short lived New 52 stint on the Superman book. He didn't write Supes as a Reeve impersonation nor was he the stoic alien of JL, but a nice balance.

However I think my opinion of Johns on Superman overall is colored by the fact that both times he had a high profile run on Superman, he bailed in the middle of a story or story set up that subsequently fell apart in his absense heralding the low points of those perspective eras. True its not his fault that the creators that came after him on the New Krypton story fumbled the ball, nor was he directly responsible for the conception of the Truth story that sprung up in his wake, but let's just say whenever Johns writes Superman in the future, I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop.
    Thanks for sharing your pov on Johns Superman.
    I mostly associate Johns to Superman as an outsider and the theme of loneliness. It's the common denominator of his works on the character.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-20-2018 at 02:03 PM.

BANNED

DOOMSDAY CLOCK #8
    written by GEOFF JOHNS
    art and cover by GARY FRANK
    variant cover by GARY FRANK
    The critical and commercial hit series by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank continues following the shocking revelations of last issue. As the truth behind Dr. Manhattan’s actions against the DC Universe are revealed, Ozymandias turns to the only being who can stop him: Superman.
    ON SALE 11.28.18
    $4.99 US | 32 PAGES | FC
    This issue will ship with two covers.
    Please see the order form for details.
    https://www.newsarama.com/41452-dc-c...citations.html

I like the sound of the solicit of this issue.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I like the sound of the solicit of this issue.
    I'm hoping they will FINALLY explain how and why Supes and Lois was split into both their Pre-Flashpoint and New 52 selves. That's the only dangling thread still left unresolved from the whole Rebirth/Reborn era.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I'm hoping they will FINALLY explain how and why Supes and Lois was split into both their Pre-Flashpoint and New 52 selves. That's the only dangling thread still left unresolved from the whole Rebirth/Reborn era.
    I bet that that "mystery" will be entirely glossed.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-21-2018 at 02:05 AM.

BANNED

I bet that that "mystery" will be entirely glossed.
    Yeah, the last six issues show that John isn't really concerned with the years that precede the timeline of Doomsday Clock, if anything that's the responsibility of everything that has to lead up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Yeah, the last six issues show that John isn't really concerned with the years that precede the timeline of Doomsday Clock, if anything that's the responsibility of everything that has to lead up to it.
    I can't see Bendis bother to deal with it during his run.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-21-2018 at 04:25 AM.

BANNED

I can't see Bendis bother to deal with it during his run.
    Bendis said he was going to.

He pretty much has to anyway, given where Lois and Clark are in Doomsday Clock. Even if he waits 'till the last minute in 2019, all the toys need to be put back in the box.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 08-21-2018 at 04:32 AM.

Bendis said he was going to.

He pretty much has to anyway, given where Lois and Clark are in Doomsday Clock. Even if he waits 'till the last minute in 2019, all the toys need to be put back in the box.
    I was referring to the mystery of Superman being split.

BANNED

I was referring to the mystery of Superman being split.
    Oh right.

Yeah, Bendis probably won't sweat that detail. That would be up to Johns.

Well, he did dedicate an entire issue to New Rorshach's origin, and most of the last issue to Mime & Marionette's origins, 2 things that preceded the Doomsday Clock timeline...hopefully he gives us a whole issue showing what Manhattan has been up to since arriving in the DCU, including his role in Flashpoint and the splitting of Lois & Clark. Maybe it'll happen during Superman & Manhattan's "confrontation" (i.e., conversation).

At least, that's what I'm hoping.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

BANNED

Doomsday Clock#7 is out tomorrow, and according to BC

spoilers:
    Manhattan appears at last...in all his full frontal glory
    end of spoilers

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/09...a-penis-in-it/

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Doomsday Clock#7 is out tomorrow, and according to BC

spoilers:
    Manhattan appears at last...in all his full frontal glory
    end of spoilers