Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Superman in Doomsday Clock

With SDCC going and news starting to come in about this big story, I figured starting a new thread about what we hear about Superman instead of necro'ing an older thread. At least I think this was proper, if not my apologies.

And I guess I'll get started with this: When I say discussing future info about Superman and this story, it should be a buttload of stuff because--and this is the first time in a long time anything Johns has said has made me hyped--here's a direct quite about Superman's role in Doomsday Clock:

More panels were shown: an x-ray of a skull. “Somebody’s sick,” Johns said, matter-of-factly. Then a Metropolis skyline with the Daily Planet building visible, prompting DiDio to ask if Superman was integral to the story. “He is the story,” Johns said.
    Word to everyone's mother, that is a cool quote. I mean, there's talk and there's backing up said talk but I can't remember the last time Superman was even talked about in regards to having this kind of stature and presence in a major event story.

One other note, this take's place one year into the future. So when issue #1 comes out in November, we'll be reading about a Superman who's one year older, and everyone else for that matter. Being a 12 issue series, its designed so that by the time the 12th issue hits, the rest of the DCU has caught up with that final issue. I don't know how strict or liberal they'll be with this but its like the next year comic book time will be really close to real time.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-20-2017 at 06:02 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Sounds like Luthor will be meeting Ozymandias.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...ay-clock-sdcc/

I'm excited .

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Reading about this panel shows why I love Johns. He loves these characters and puts so much effort into them. I love his comment about how there are no bad characters just bad stories. I also love how he likes writing characters that are said to "not work".

Anyway, the emphasis on Superman is strong and I'm interested in this one year later thing.

I'm curious about the "one year later" thing and if it'll tease stuff that hasn't happened in the DCU yet but will by the time the event ends (since the timelines will sync).

Might be as close as it gets to tie-ins.

You know, that quote about someone being sick has got me thinking. Before, I thought it was something that was going to be related to another player in the story, and only added it because it was a part of the total sentence. But now I'm wondering. Could it be Jon or Lois who gets sick (btw, the x-ray of said skull appears to show a tumor)?
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Prediction: several changes taking place during the skipped year will be revealed in the first issue, including the return of the classic uniform, the return of at least Ma or Pa Kent, and possibly Clark's Superboy career and the LoSH. Time is at the core of this story and there's no way the LoSH won't be involved.
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    You know, that quote about someone being sick has got me thinking. Before, I thought it was something that was going to be related to another player in the story, and only added it because it was a part of the total sentence. But now I'm wondering. Could it be Jon or Lois who gets sick (btw, the x-ray of said skull appears to show a tumor)?
    Kinda like Jenny Slater in Watchmen? That might be an interesting parallel.

Anyone know who this person is?
    IMG_20170720_154909-600x450.jpg