Page 19 of 58 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Well hey that's just where I'm at. I certainly don't expect that anyone else has to be as annoyed as I am. In fact I more hope not, I don't wish any Superman fan to get as annoyed as I tend to get.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I am curious. Which one story did you find genuinely good? I may not have read that.
    My guess is Superman and the Legion of Superheroes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    http://www.cbr.com/doomsday-clock-ge...nel-nycc-2017/
    "Doctor Manhattan and Superman, you’ve got one that’s an alien, that’s probably the most human of superheroes. And you’ve got one that’s a human, and is probably the most alien of all superhumans. I thought, a conversation between those two would be amazing.”

I get what creators mean when they say this but they should learn to word it better. Take a page from Captain Kirk on Spock. Superman's an alien with the most human soul.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I am curious. Which one story did you find genuinely good? I may not have read that.
    Superman and the Legion of Superheroes.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    My guess is Superman and the Legion of Superheroes.
    Ha! Indeed it is!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    could you elaborate? Because besides his absence in the preview, Superman's gotten plenty of face in the covers, the trailer, the logo, sneak peaks, interviews. With all due respect, I just don't see where your concern is coming from.
    I am actually agreeing with Sacred Knight here. He may actually end up being the story. Or he may not. It is a genuine concern after seeing the advertisements.

You posted a small clip on Doomsday Clock a few posts ago. I clicked that. I wanted to see Superman. But when did he appear? Right at the end. With that cover confirming he is being rebuilt. Even Batman appeared at least twice with that smiley face.

I never thought that they would make a Watchmen sequel. I have zero interest in revisiting that world. The ending was deliciously ambiguous. They are tackling Watchmen's ending. Also the three Jokers. Continuity correction plays a part. There is an awful lot to do in twelve issues. Notice the way people are talking. I have heard that the crowds cheered for Rorschach. Nothing wrong with that. But this is either not a Superman story as was thought by me or a Superman story promoted through varieties of elements like Watchmen or the Joker. I hope the second is the truth. But concern among Superman fans is natural.

And a question to the fans. Can i read 'Superman And The Legion Of Superheroes' right away? I am very far from this story. (I am in the middle of Bryne). Do i need to read something before it?
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 10-15-2017 at 11:57 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I am actually agreeing with Sacred Knight here. He may actually end up being the story. Or he may not. It is a genuine concern after seeing the advertisements.

You posted a small clip on Doomsday Clock a few posts ago. I clicked that. I wanted to see Superman. But when did he appear? Right at the end. With that cover confirming he is being rebuilt. Even Batman appeared at least twice with that smiley face.

I never thought that they would make a Watchmen sequel. I have zero interest in revisiting that world. The ending was deliciously ambiguous. They are tackling Watchmen's ending. Also the three Jokers. Continuity correction plays a part. There is an awful lot to do in twelve issues. Notice the way people are talking. I have heard that the crowds cheered for Rorschach. Nothing wrong with that. But this is either not a Superman story as was thought by me or a Superman story promoted through varieties of elements like Watchmen or the Joker. I hope the second is the truth. But concern among Superman fans is natural.

And a question to the fans. Can i read 'Superman And The Legion Of Superheroes' right away? I am very far from this story. (I am in the middle of Bryne). Do i need to read something before it?
    Nope. Johns takes great pains to make his stories new reader friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Nope. Johns takes great pains to make his stories new reader friendly.
    Thank you. I will definitely get this. I have heard a lot.

Yeah, you don't really have to wait to read Legion, it's not at all built heavily upon the continuity of the time. Everything you need to know will be explained to you within the first issue.

~ Black Panther.

But concern among Superman fans is natural.
    Agreed.

Now, all the characters involved in the marketing are going to generate more hype and interest than Clark would. And the early advertising already told us he was there, so that's sort of an "established fact" the marketing can move beyond. I get that.

But DC has burned me so many times, I take everything they do with a heavy dose of cynicism. I dont like that I do this, but it's been shown time and again that the current regime see the character and his role and potential in a very different light than I do.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    that statement is perfect

Spectacular Member Embryonic Superman's Avatar

But what's wrong with it? Isn't Superman, despite being an alien, someone who embodies what we typically think of as the best of human-like qualities? Empathy, compassion, love, and the drive to do what's right? Johns' point wasn't "Superman thinks of himself as Clark Kent first and foremost and hates his Kryptoninan heritage!" It was that Superman is an empathetic dude in contrast to Manhattan, who was born human but became cold, detached, and clinically-minded.

I think people jump to conclusions when Johns says it because he actually has a history of doing just that, writing a Superman from just the "man" angle at the expense of the "super". I mean this was the same guy who gave Superman a new power not to actually explore a new power, but to completely depower him and write him as a normal guy. Furthermore, when depowered, he insisted on referring to him as "turning human". A powerless Superman isn't suddenly human. He's still just a powerless Kryptonian. So there's history there of Johns being oblivious to the distinction of actually being human and having a human soul symbolically. Even though in a vacuum, there's nothing wrong with the phrasing in this particular context.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-16-2017 at 09:47 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I've never got the feel that Johns is a Byrne 2.0. Geoff has put emphasis on Superman being an outsider and the theme of loneliness is recurring in his works on the character.

sm.jpg