Page 17 of 58 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The writing quality of this already seems better than anything Johns has written in the last few years. It's still nowhere near Moore's level, but that's not surprising. But so far, it looks very good. Maybe taking a break from writing so many titles at once has rejuvenated Geoff a bit?

I think it's a little too early to declare this as not a Superman story, or one where he still comes out looking like the lead protagonist. This is only what, six pages? We've had several comics where the title character/lead doesn't appear until half way through the issue or even later. Wonder Woman #31 springs to mind as the most recent example.

Not that you're wrong to worry, because there is precedent for DC screwing over Superman. I'm a little worried too. But the tease at the end of the Button did prominently feature his logo, and he's the main focus on the lead cover. At the very least, he still seems poised to be the DCU hero who gets the most focus.
    These are also not the first six pages since we've seen the first few pages.

Generally speaking, the protagonist is the first or one of the first people you see. We saw Superman in panel one. I also think that's an area where Moore flubbed Watchmen. He's spent decades appalled by people treating Rorschach as the protagonist but Moore gave most of the first issue and a lot of the driving action of the investigation to Rorschach.

That said, there seems to be a bit of a paperback novel thing going on here where you'll have protagonists helming their own plots.

My prediction right now is that this is a legacy Rorshach. A minor or new character spurred by Rorschach's papers. That said, the voice feels both topical to our current events and fairly on model, with a lot of memorable gems already. My feeling is that this will be a competent or even especially worthy sequel. Maybe it shouldn't exist but we're in a world of things that shouldn't be so what's one more if it's good?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The most interesting thing about it is that it seems to be following a logical path. It would make sense that the world would eventually figure out what Ozy did. And 1992 sounds like a perfectly logical time frame for it to happen. It also follows up on Dr. Manhattan's last words to Ozy: "Nothing ever ends". It would be naive to think that you could kill thousands of people and have that be the end of it. A smart man like Ozy should have been able to figure that out. Which also suggests the brain tumor may have been growing inside him for a while. Even as far back as 1985. Thus it could cloud his judgement. Making him think an idea he got from an old TV show would fool the world forever. DC has two options here: Ignore that DC comics existed in the Watchmen universe, which they may very well do since it may not even cross their minds (it played a pretty minor role) or have DM play some sort of major role in the creation of the DCU based off the comics in his own world. It would also follow up on something else he said at the end of Watchmen: When Ozy points out that DM regained interest in humanity, he said he decided to create some.
    Assassinate Putin!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The most interesting thing about it is that it seems to be following a logical path. It would make sense that the world would eventually figure out what Ozy did. And 1992 sounds like a perfectly logical time frame for it to happen. It also follows up on Dr. Manhattan's last words to Ozy: "Nothing ever ends". It would be naive to think that you could kill thousands of people and have that be the end of it. A smart man like Ozy should have been able to figure that out. Which also suggests the brain tumor may have been growing inside him for a while. Even as far back as 1985. Thus it could cloud his judgement. Making him think an idea he got from an old TV show would fool the world forever. DC has two options here: Ignore that DC comics existed in the Watchmen universe, which they may very well do since it may not even cross their minds (it played a pretty minor role) or have DM play some sort of major role in the creation of the DCU based off the comics in his own world. It would also follow up on something else he said at the end of Watchmen: When Ozy points out that DM regained interest in humanity, he said he decided to create some.
    Why are those the two options?

Everything from Julius Schwartz comics through Multiversity shows that comic books depict events that are real on other earths.

While we're at it, The Black Freighter is probably its own universe as well.

Incredible Member

Expanding on this, I'd go back to the Ozymandias quote about "I'm the smartest man in the world; I just wish it wasn't this one" to show him looking for a solution to his problem and/or an escape route with Doctor Manhattan into a parallel earth. Manhattan already senses time in a non-linear fashion so stepping sideways in time seems like a logical evolution.

Veidt convinces Manhattan to try this and the first place he lands is on the deck of the Black Freighter. Which poses he idea that everything fictional is real. And Veidt goes back through his comic books in search of a bigger solution.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    Sure looks like it....interesting...
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

BANNED

It'd be cool if the pair of them are working on a story and Rorsarch is the lead

BANNED

Badge merch incoming

another teaser

I admit, I've missed evil Lex, I hope he's not still on the side of the angels in this.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I suppose that at least confirms Manhattan is constructing Superman on that cover rather than tearing him apart.
    Buh-bye

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Doomsday Clock #5 alternative cover

Incredible Member

Will this be touching upon there being three Jokers that was introduced by Johns in JUSTICE LEAGUE#50, and REBIRTH ? Seems a good as place as any. Also, I might've missed it. But was it ever determined who hired Neutron to kill Luthor in Justice League ? If it hasn't, I could see it being dealt with here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    I admit, I've missed evil Lex, I hope he's not still on the side of the angels in this.
    The same... The first time that I heard about HE WAS GOOD(I begin with the comics after FOREVER EVIL) I was shocked... IMPOSSIBLE.

Since the begin I imaginated that Lex Luthor as "good man" was something temporal..

I know that JOKER used Lois Lane against Superman in rebirth... They will be continuing that story?
    Last edited by adrikito; 10-14-2017 at 11:36 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    I know that JOKER used Lois Lane against Superman in rebirth... They will be continuing that story?
    When did that happen?