Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

It'd also be interesting if they keep that he got cancer before from wearing the Kryptonite ring. Its hard to tell what post-Crisis stuff is in and out with Lex. For example I'm assuming all the clone stuff is out, and if so he obviously never lost his hand, but they could still keep the illness and he was just simply cured. The history would add an extra layer to Lex's anger over trying to do good and getting sick. The first time, its almost like karma intervened with his nefarious deeds of trying to kill Superman. He gets cancer from the ring he would use to keep Superman away and plot against him. Years later he turns a new leaf and spends a year trying to be a hero, fighting for the same things Superman fights for and even aiding him. And he gets cancer again. Talk about a thought that would piss off a trying-to-reform-sociopath.

The threat of the loss of intellect in the disease is also a great observation, steph. I'm leaning toward this now.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-20-2017 at 11:24 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member

Thanks, Superlad and Sacred Knight! All forms of cancer are horrible, but brain cancer...that is scary stuff. I could see how deeply it would affect Lex since he is a proud guy. The symptoms of this type of cancer just rob the person of dignity.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Great points from the both of you. Sacred Knight, I wouldn't at all be surprised if they kept the original Lex cancer from post-crisis. They went through a lot of trouble to give us a whole issue dedicated to post-crisis' greatest hits, so it's just gotta be in there. And yeah, it would really be this sort of messed up "damned if you do, and damned if you don't" feel to it. I think it would add in a layer of sympathy that the post-crisis take has always really been missing. You're not supposed to root for Lex, but you should, at the very least, feel a momentary pang of pity for him and the man he could be. That "imaginary story" is the man Superman mourns for every single day.

And stephtanner, you really nailed it. It would likely be more about the blow to his pride and dignity more so than the possibility of him dying.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

After SDCC Doomsday Clock became my most awaited thing in the universe. So freaking excited.

As for brain cancer, how about the fact that Lex Luthor is trying to be Superman right now by using a Mother Box? What if him overusing it is what causes his brain cancer? That would add the depth to his agenda against Superman and him becoming evil again, because that way he would get that kind of mentality that trying being a hero, a Superman, he got himself something that is going to destroy his very essence. You know, like he really tried being different, but everything he got in return is a brain cancer, which wouldn't happen if it wasn't for Superman from his POV.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Very possible. Admittedly though I was thinking Lois. Wouldn't be the first time Superman trying to save her draws him into an epic tale. Oz is supposed to make a personal visit to her soon as well.
    Wanting Lois to be an amputee, now desiring her to have cancer...

..We're a morbid bunch aren't we?

Oh for the sake of drama...

Would be eerie timing with the news about John Mccain too

Lol, yeah that's not a really good look out of context. But in both cases my thoughts operated on the idea that she'd be okay in the end. And I definitely don't think there's anything wrong with, even in this day and age, to play the damsel in distress angle with her sometimes. As a culture we've grown in the way and degree in which this is presented, but I still think that in a narrative there's still few greater motivations for a protagonist then a threat to his/her significant other.

But all that said, with this one, Superlad and stephtanner put me on the Lex train anyway.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-21-2017 at 12:34 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

It feels super, super strange to wish something like this on a fictional character. If we're right then I feel like it's gonna be less "f@#k yeah!" and more "oh...oh. Wow. Called it, I guess." Super strange feeling lol
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Can't Superman use his eyes to burn out the tumor? Y'know without blasting Lex's head off. He's done lobotomies of the sort before. Anyway having personally seen what brain cancer does to people, I honestly can't imagine a worse way to go.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 07-21-2017 at 01:07 AM.

BANNED

it could also be due to phantom zone radiation which he had absorbed in the black ring storyline which elevated him to god lie status but he burnt. the power away trying to kill Superman. having said. hat I don't fancy luthorhaving cancer again as it would semi a rehash of a old plot of him getting cancer due to trying to stone superman not to mention its similarity to tony stark always having heart trouble or getting his nerve system destroyed.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I think it would add in a layer of sympathy that the post-crisis take has always really been missing.
    It was a pretty sympathetic thing the first time around. Not the cancer itself, which served him right, but his suicide and the effects it had on metropolis. His rival Perry giving up smoking was also no coincidence, though he'd still have a bout with cancer as well.

You're likely right about a new cancer, though.

And I'm glad Johns blatantly put it out there that Superman is a huge priority, because a lot of people wanted to hear that. And of course see it.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

The proof will be on the page. I admit I'm sort of excited by all of this news and these teases, but at this point, I'll believe it when I read it.

I love the theory about Lex being sick and that Perhaps being the catalyst for his going bad again, although I doubt this is going to reference his previous bout with cancer and the pretending to be his own son clone stuff, outside of maybe a nod from Oz if the latest theory of his identity proves to be true. This will likely be just him getting sick for the " first" time in the current continiuity, if indeed it is Luthor that's sick and not someone else.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Incredible Member

Don't forget that Dr. Manhattan believing he caused cancer is what drove him away from earth...

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Geoff Johns Talks DOOMSDAY CLOCK, and WATCHMEN and SUPERMAN: http://nerdist.com/geoff-johns-dooms...iew-dc-comics/

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Wow, good guess on Lex having brain cancer, super lad. You make some good points on it. So I'm guessing doomsday clock will be the big endgame Johns has planned for Lex since forever evil started.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Wow, good guess on Lex having brain cancer, super lad. You make some good points on it. So I'm guessing doomsday clock will be the big endgame Johns has planned for Lex since forever evil started.
    Yeah, and according to Johns, it almost fell apart completely and that we have Trump's victory to thank for it coming through, rofl [guess this ties into Dan Jurgen's tweets about last minute creative changes making sense for a character]