Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    and if they don't it'll be a sign that Johns still doesn't get it with Superman.
    I disagree pretty strongly with that. I don't think a fight is required, or vice versa, but I also don't think Johns were to leave one out then he'd inherently not get it. That's a super small box to live in. I'm sure Superman will hit something, but if it isn't Manhattan I won't be offend.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Well when I speak about Johns I'm not talking about any one particular project. That would be unfair. But he has a reputation, at least in my mind, as having made Superman as Un-Super as possible for years now. So I'm going to be particularly hard on him to deliver something on the action, super-feat end of things. Because he routinely whiffs on that big time.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Well when I speak about Johns I'm not talking about any one particular project. That would be unfair. But he has a reputation, at least in my mind, as having made Superman as Un-Super as possible for years now. So I'm going to be particularly hard on him to deliver something on the action, super-feat end of things. Because he routinely whiffs on that big time.
    Regardless of what he's done in the past, I still wouldn't say if he doesn't have Superman knock Manhattan upside the head then he doesn't get Superman. That seems like a strange double standard to impose because there's nothing inherently bad or wrong headed about then not fighting. If Johns were to turn their debate into a strange cosmic and comic book-y version a Christmas Story as the two architects of the DCU use all of creation to illustrate their points, then I'm not gonna be mad if there's no punching on Superman's part.

So long as the story remains engaging and overall well written, I think it's fine.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Fair enough, I worded it being based on just one thing and that's not where I'm at. There's a host of things, not just a punch-em fight, that have to happen to make me think Johns has done a decent job here with Superman. So that's really all it is. He's been mediocre-to-poor with Superman for a decade now so he has a lot to prove here, imo.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fair enough, I worded it being based on just one thing and that's not where I'm at. There's a host of things, not just a punch-em fight, that have to happen to make me think Johns has done a decent job here with Superman. So that's really all it is. He's been mediocre-to-poor with Superman for a decade now so he has a lot to prove here, imo.
    For sure. Let me just say that I agree with you on his track record, and I'm just as skeptical. I've only ever enjoyed 3 Johns Superman stories, and they are all pretty freakin old by now and he's done nothing but decrees my opinion of him with the character since then.

But so far nothing he's said about Doomsday Clock has me disliking the idea of it at all, so at the very least there's that.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I was curious about who put that fake picture together.

If Superman whoops Manhattan, I'll shut my mouth so as not to rub it in, but I admit now that it'll give me a hearty chuckle.

Spectacular Member

Was already posted by somewhat else
    Last edited by Stardust; 08-05-2017 at 02:14 AM.

BANNED

Major spoilers for Dark Days:Metal#1

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08...page-spoilers/

spoilers:
    Neil Gaiman's Dream of the Endless shows up
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Scott Snyder: I think the idea really of Rebirth is taking the best of the New 52 and marrying it to the great legacy of the DCU. And making sure those stories we did in the New 52 have connective tissue. So that if you love them, they don’t exist at the expense of everything you love before — and if you love the stuff that came before, they don’t wipe that stuff out.

Geoff is doing a great job with Doomsday Clock to explain those things and make connective material there. So for us here, it’s more about celebrating the characters in a way that doesn’t reintroduce them in a fashion that destroys anything that came before — instead to celebrate the stories of the past.

For me, the New 52 was really about trying brand new concepts and new takes on the characters. And sometimes that went too far admittedly, and sometimes I think it hit just right. And maybe sometimes it didn’t go far enough, but it was a great time for that kind of experimentation.

On Batman, we tried to be very reverent of what came before and tried to be a little daring with things like “Zero Year.” With Rebirth, the great project is to connect the New 52 to all of that great material that came before it, so they don’t feel like separate universes in some ways.

Now that’s it’s all connective I can do things like point back to “The Death of Superman,” or point back to “Infinite Crisis,” and point back to characters like Plastic Man and Shazam, because they don’t need to be reinvented the way they did with the New 52 necessarily. There’s a huge elasticity and flexibility now that Rebirth has made the landscape broader and put everything back into play in new ways. So it’s huge fun and Metal is about that.

Doomsday Clock is largely about showing you what happens and also creating this great story that connects different aspects of the DCU.
    As with Metal, it’s about accepting that all these things are now united and moving into a territory that’s brand new. They are really different projects, yet at the same time, I think they compliment each other really well.

Full interview: http://www.comicosity.com/interview-...e-dc-universe/

Is a surprise listen N52 with the exception of complains in these days..

So for me it’s just like what we’ve been waiting to do for years where Greg and I both are excited to be able to write characters like Mister Terrific, Plastic Man, Doctor Fate, Steel, and all these characters I’ve never thought I’d get to do.

So, Steel will be in this?
    Last edited by adrikito; 08-17-2017 at 09:10 AM.

That interview pretty much perpetuates what DC has been saying and doing all along since Superman Reborn set the precedent. I doubt this will kill the "DC will remove everything New 52 eventually" narrative that gets perpetuated, as everything DC has said and done to the contrary hasn't stopped the denial to this point. When Doomsday Clock doesn't do it, it'll still be insisted that Action #1000 will. When Action #1000 doesn't, it'll be the next major story that will do it for sure.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-17-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

That interview pretty much perpetuates what DC has been saying and doing all along since Superman Reborn set the precedent. I doubt this will kill the "DC will remove everything New 52 eventually" narrative that gets perpetuated, as everything DC has said and done to the contrary hasn't stopped the denial to this point. When Doomsday Clock doesn't do it, it'll still be insisted that Action #1000 will. When Action #1000 doesn't, it'll be the next major story that will do it for sure.
    However, I expect other continuity changes after Doomsday Clock. It's since the 2000s that Superman's continuity is constantly tweaked, with stories that go out of canon a few years after being written. It has become a constant of the management of Superman, such as Wonder Woman changing status quo, city and supporting cast with every creative team.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-17-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

The only rumors suggesting that was all fanmade nonsense that was already debunked, Johns is usually the guy who tries to make everything in continuity someway, so I am sure Doomsday Clock won't have any shade towards the new 52 era at least

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    The only rumors suggesting that was all fanmade nonsense that was already debunked, Johns is usually the guy who tries to make everything in continuity someway, so I am sure Doomsday Clock won't have any shade towards the new 52 era at least
    All the major events that occurred during the New 52 will still have taken place in whatever new continuity we get, just as all the major events prior to Flashpoint will have happened. Some stuff won't fit, of course, but if Johns's approach to the LSH, Brainiac, and Krypton are any indication, he'll bend over backwards to make sure all the important highlights that readers want in there will be incorporated in some manner.

I have no idea how Doomsday Clock is going to play out, but, when it comes to whatever continuity fix he's got planned, I think that is pretty easy to predict