Page 41 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    spoilers:
    I doubt it, if anything it will redouble her efforts to prove this is all a hoax or plot against him. I recall them saying that Lois would play a big roll in figuring out the mystery, so I expect she will.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, I remember that, Geoff said Lois AND Clark would be investigating things.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    So apparently Bruce tells Clark not to take sides and Clark basically isgnores him and comes out in defense of metas even though it makes people mad? Honestly that’s probably the best Johns has written Clark ever. It’s nice to see Supes actually champing the oppressed instead of being the feckless Boy Scout he usually is under Johns.
    end of spoilers

Can’t wait to read the issue next week.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    spoilers:
    So apparently Bruce tells Clark not to take sides and Clark basically isgnores him and comes out in defense of metas even though it makes people mad? Honestly that’s probably the best Johns has written Clark ever. It’s nice to see Supes actually champing the oppressed instead of being the feckless Boy Scout he usually is under Johns.
    end of spoilers

Can’t wait to read the issue next week.
    spoilers:
    Clark isn't necessarily wrong for championing the oppressed. After all, Superman's first title was Champion of the Oppressed. But at the same time, some people are gonna take his actions out of context and blow them way out of proportion. That's just how a politically-charged climate works. Is this gonna be a "the truth is somewhere in the middle" kind of story? I've always seen Superman as someone who believes justice comes from balance, not single-mindedness.
    end of spoilers

Also, where are people reading this stuff? The issue doesn't come out until next week.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Also, where are people reading this stuff? The issue doesn't come out until next week.
    It got leaked by 4chan

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

spoilers:
    Clark isn't necessarily wrong for championing the oppressed. After all, Superman's first title was Champion of the Oppressed. But at the same time, some people are gonna take his actions out of context and blow them way out of proportion. That's just how a politically-charged climate works. Is this gonna be a "the truth is somewhere in the middle" kind of story? I've always seen Superman as someone who believes justice comes from balance, not single-mindedness.
    end of spoilers

Some retailers in Russia posted it early because the government there have to "approve" anything Putin is in. And I guess he appears on this.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

spoilers:
    All of the Metropolis newspapers at the end of the issue, except for one, are villifying Superman. The Daily Planet headline is written by Perry, who comes to Clark's defence. Superman is listed as missing. Ron Trope also casts doubt on the media's depiction of events
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 11-30-2018 at 11:41 AM.

Incredible Member

Without spoilers-- How much (if any) Superman do we get in this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    Without spoilers-- How much (if any) Superman do we get in this issue?
    It’s basically a Lois and Clark issue. They dominate the page time.

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I’m reminded of a MLK quote: “I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizens Councilor or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to order than to justice.”

Sometimes moderation is the wrong call, as odd as that might seem. Clark’s fellow meta humans are being demonized and attacked. Letting them get dragged through the mud because “both sides have a point” would make Clark a coward. One of things I’ve always believed about Superman is that he is prepared to sacrifice his being well-liked if it means standing up for what he believes in.
    end of spoilers

Master Hero Vladimir

spoilers:
    I’m reminded of a MLK quote: “I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizens Councilor or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to order than to justice.”

Sometimes moderation is the wrong call, as odd as that might seem. Clark’s fellow meta humans are being demonized and attacked. Letting them get dragged through the mud because “both sides have a point” would make Clark a coward. One of things I’ve always believed about Superman is that he is prepared to sacrifice his being well-liked if it means standing up for what he believes in.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Well, that's an interesting observation. Superman would certainly put the needs of society above his own reputation; after all, he didn't become a superhero just for a good reputation. Even so, I don't want Doomsday Clock to become DC's version of Civil War, with Superman become a rebel leader of sorts. It makes sense for Clark to help his fellow metahumans stand up for their civil liberties, but not to the point where he alienates regular civilians in the process.
    end of spoilers
    By this point, it should be obvious that I'm only interested in Doomsday Clock because of the role Superman plays in it. For me, there can never be enough Superman.

I was really losing interest in this event by Mime & Marionette issue, but these last two issues have really turned it around for me. Most importantly, it seems like the back end will be pretty well paced. Events for like the last ten years seem to stretch the beginning out so much and then rush the closing. All of Marvel's recent events have been like this, Metal did it, and the last arc in Justice League was horrendous. So while this seemed to have a pretty slow start, it seems to be hitting its stride.

I was really losing interest in this event by Mime & Marionette issue, but these last two issues have really turned it around for me. Most importantly, it seems like the back end will be pretty well paced. Events for like the last ten years seem to stretch the beginning out so much and then rush the closing. All of Marvel's recent events have been like this, Metal did it, and the last arc in Justice League was horrendous. So while this seemed to have a pretty slow start, it seems to be hitting its stride.
    Johns tends to write pretty good endings imo. I thought his JL run did pretty well in that regard imo. And yeah now it feels like we’re finally getting to the heart of the comic.

spoilers:
    Well, that's an interesting observation. Superman would certainly put the needs of society above his own reputation; after all, he didn't become a superhero just for a good reputation. Even so, I don't want Doomsday Clock to become DC's version of Civil War, with Superman become a rebel leader of sorts. It makes sense for Clark to help his fellow metahumans stand up for their civil liberties, but not to the point where he alienates regular civilians in the process.
    end of spoilers
    By this point, it should be obvious that I'm only interested in Doomsday Clock because of the role Superman plays in it. For me, there can never be enough Superman.
    Keeping everyone happy isn’t always an option though. Ultimately I think Supes is prepared to take the public hit if it means standing up for what he believes to be right. There have been times in the past where Supes has lost the public’s respect or trust, but that hasn’t stopped him from continuing the neverending battle. But I digress. This seems less of a Civil War, since all the anger seems directed at the American government, and more of a Superhuman Cold War between nations that’s on the cusp of turning hot. Honestly it’s one of the most fascinating ideas I’ve seen in a while. Other nations getting paranoid about America having so many meta humans and starting to form their own superhuman armies.
    Last edited by Vordan; 11-30-2018 at 11:18 PM.

Incredible Member

About time! Looking forward to it.

I have to agree with the above post-- I was losing patience with this story, but the last two or three issues have been fantastic, so I'm hoping that keeps up or gets even better.

Johns tends to write pretty good endings imo. I thought his JL run did pretty well in that regard imo. And yeah now it feels like we’re finally getting to the heart of the comic.
    He does, Johns Justice League arcs were pretty good, though I didn't really care for Trinity War/Forever Evil. the Justice League arc I was referring to was Drowned Earth though, the last issue of Justice League leading into the finale was like a plot outline for where it had to get for the conclusion. It was probably one of the worst books I've read this year. Oddly, the actual conclusion, while still a little rushed was a lot better.

spoilers:
    The date on the Daily Planet in #8 is June 6, 2019. So looks like the events are now set at least 6 months in the future.
    end of spoilers

He does, Johns Justice League arcs were pretty good, though I didn't really care for Trinity War/Forever Evil. the Justice League arc I was referring to was Drowned Earth though, the last issue of Justice League leading into the finale was like a plot outline for where it had to get for the conclusion. It was probably one of the worst books I've read this year. Oddly, the actual conclusion, while still a little rushed was a lot better.
    I think part of Scott Snyder’s problem writing good endings is his background as a horror writer. Horror stories tend to end with a lot of ambiguity, more questions than answers, and often you’re left wondering if things aren’t worse off now then before. That’s not really something people like in their Big Two hero comics.