Page 46 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I've got loads of love for the JSA being a previous generation of heroes existing on the Prime Earth. I'm actually less of a fan of the whole Earth-2 shift anyway, though I did still love those JLA/JSA Annual Crisis team-ups and like the legacy they established in the context of bigger cosmic crises. (Even if ultimately those were just sci-fi tropes meant to give us a reason to have "all these characters in one book on one page".

My issue for a long time has been servicing the whole World War II storyline with them when characters like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman have easily moved on and been divorced from that timeframe. WWII was 80 years ago. Every few years, a crisis tries to find a different take on how to Captain America those guys into the present day. Time travel, stasis, cosmic rejuvenation forces, reincarnation. And then separately individual members of the JSA also kind of get that treatment. And it's even still happening, as Hawkman, Doctor Fate and Jay Garrick all get different reasons for escaping Manhattan's project even as the whole of the JSA itself gets a bigger treatment. And Johnny Thunder has to be in his Nineties, or maybe even 100 years old!

So much easier if they're just on the sliding timescale with everyone else, as the mystery men "lower key" heroes from ten or fifteen years prior to the Big Superhero Surge that began with Superman and culminated in the JLA.

And that doesn't mean you fully have to drop WWII from all of their backstories, as characters like Hawkman or Spectre or Doctor Fate have plenty of built-in story logic for how they could still have been involved with the fight against Super-Nazis.
    Yeah, that's the thing with superhero comics. I could be mistaken, but from my understanding, the model for the longest time was that at some point the readership was supposed to move on and comics were supposed to latch onto a whole new generation of readers. Unfortunately, however, it seems as if each generation that follows is growing smaller and smaller and the Big 2 are doing everything they can to hold onto the readers that they have, some who started reading as far back as the ''60s or earlier and these guys want things to make sense when they were supposed to've stopped reading a long time ago .
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Man, I guess I'm in the minority who loves the JSA being on the same Earth as the other heroes. I'm fine with them not being the premier team and predating Clark.

I always figured he was the first to come back after the HUAC fiasco and inspired a new age of heroes while bringing the old timers out of retirement.

As for this issue, solid and I'm glad things are shaping up. The Spectre being part of the JSA again is interesting because that means Manhattan can manhandle him too to some degree. Wild.

Extraordinary Member

Anyone else think Lois looked unhealthily skinny this past issue? It was really distracting every time she appeared in a panel.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 12-14-2018 at 08:43 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Anyone else think Lois looked unhealthily skinny this past issue? It was really distracting every time she appeared in a panel.
    feel like Gary Frank always draws her like this, don't mind personally.

BANNED

Doomsday Clock#9 will be delayed by a week

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12...msday-clock-9/

BANNED

Solicitation for Issue Ten

DOOMSDAY CLOCK #10
    written by GEOFF JOHNS
    art and cover by GARY FRANK
    variant cover by GARY FRANK
    This stunning issue of the critically acclaimed hit maxiseries reveals the secrets behind Dr. Manhattan and his connection to the DC Universe.
    ON SALE 03.27.19
    $4.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T+
    This issue will ship with two covers.
    Please see the order form for details.

https://www.newsarama.com/43222-dc-c...citations.html

BANNED

More delays.

Doomsday Clock#9 will skip January altogether, it will now be pushed back to February 6th

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01...into-february/

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    More delays.

Doomsday Clock#9 will skip January altogether, it will now be pushed back to February 6th

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01...into-february/
    I wonder if it's just Gary Frank's art or if the story's getting tweaked. Makes sense if dc "one year in the future" is a bit different that Johns planned between HIC, Bendis's Superman and Wonder Comics. For example, there are still two Rs on that Tim Drake suit on the cover.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 01-10-2019 at 08:58 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I wonder if it's just Gary Frank's art or if the story's getting tweaked. Makes sense if dc "one year in the future" is a bit different that Johns planned between HIC, Bendis's Superman and Wonder Comics. For example, there are still two Rs on that Tim Drake suit on the cover.
    Maybe they're reading Yoda's posts and placing Doomsday before everything you just mentioned?

Maybe they're reading Yoda's posts and placing Doomsday before everything you just mentioned?

See I thought that was an interesting theory, but then I remembered this
    https://goo.gl/images/AffVpD
    So yeah Doomsday Clock hasn’t quite happened yet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    See I thought that was an interesting theory, but then I remembered this
    https://goo.gl/images/AffVpD
    So yeah Doomsday Clock hasn’t quite happened yet.
    Yes, but didn't Bendis indicate those teasers were also partially misleading?

I mean, yeah, I think based off Batman's outfit alone none of it's happened yet, but I'm just throwing that out there.

Yes, but didn't Bendis indicate those teasers were also partially misleading?

I mean, yeah, I think based off Batman's outfit alone none of it's happened yet, but I'm just throwing that out there.
    Not only did he say some of the stuff on those pages is intentionally misleading, he said fans had latched onto one of the misleading bits. The only one that had generated any real discussion by that point was the Superman theory one. He independently confirmed that the Leviathan pitch was actually his pitch on that as well.

The Costumes aren’t enough because plenty of them could be fudged like Superman’s was between #1 and the later issues.

BANNED

A forthcoming cover

A forthcoming cover

Been forever since Giganta has played any role in a story like this. Same with Creeper.