Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    However, I expect other continuity changes after Doomsday Clock. It's since the 2000s that Superman's continuity is constantly tweaked, with stories that go out of canon a few years after being written. It has become a constant of the management of Superman, such as Wonder Woman changing status quo, city and supporting cast with every creative team.
    I don't, really. I expect some clarifications, and potential new, not-contradictory information where applicable (and there's plenty of room with what has been established for additions of these types), but not outright changes to things already established. Superman's continuity is changed a lot, more than most properties, but even then they manage to wait some years before changing it. By the time Doomsday Clock is over, Superman Reborn will only be slightly over a year old. That would be a new record for them changing things for the character. Its narrative nonsense to establish things and not even let it mature and gain any root at all before changing it all over again, and for all their faults I still trust they won't jump the gun that soon. Even the New 52 got five years.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-17-2017 at 11:58 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

When Johns says stuff like "Superman is the story" I get really excited. The idea that he's going to face something big and new, going deep into character etc. While I'm totally cool with him/Manhattan potentially acknowledging how changed (changed and changed) his life has been... I hope the main point of this story isn't just another continuity clean-up.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't, really. I expect some clarifications, and potential new, not-contradictory information where applicable (and there's plenty of room with what has been established for additions of these types), but not outright changes to things already established. Superman's continuity is changed a lot, more than most properties, but even then they manage to wait some years before changing it. By the time Doomsday Clock is over, Superman Reborn will only be slightly over a year old. That would be a new record for them changing things for the character. Its narrative nonsense to establish things and not even let it mature and gain any root at all before changing it all over again, and for all their faults I still trust they won't jump the gun that soon. Even the New 52 got five years.
    The only things I see them possibility changing are the Kents being woven back in to his history and Conner revealed alive and in Oz's grip, and both may actually happen prior to DOOMSDAY CLOCK. I think it's possible the rest of the DCU itself may see changes, but Superman himself is pretty much settled.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Spectacular Member Embryonic Superman's Avatar

Yeah, I get the inclination to be cynical given the idiocy of how DC has treated Superman since 2003 (and even before that, with Loeb's attempts at mucking with the continuity with Return to Krypton), but I really feel like all the conclusion of the Rebirth saga and Doomsday Clock will do is further add to the tapestry of Superman's continuity, not take things away again. The history we now have will remain, but we might get more Pre-Crisis continuity and the Post-Crisis lives of the Kents back.

I think they'll remain gone. Not weaving them back in right away to me tells me that they're content on the family aspect of Superman being his wife and son. In that sense his parents are actually rather superfluous now. I just don't see it happening. Conner is really the only potential thing in regards to a change somewhat contradictory to the aftermath issues (and even then Conner was just referenced, nothing as concrete as the Kents being dead) to change. And even that I think has become quite iffy a possibility as well as time has gone on.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-18-2017 at 08:06 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Embryonic Superman View Post
    Yeah, I get the inclination to be cynical given the idiocy of how DC has treated Superman since 2003 (and even before that, with Loeb's attempts at mucking with the continuity with Return to Krypton), but I really feel like all the conclusion of the Rebirth saga and Doomsday Clock will do is further add to the tapestry of Superman's continuity, not take things away again. The history we now have will remain, but we might get more Pre-Crisis continuity and the Post-Crisis lives of the Kents back.
    I'm with you, and the recent rumors of another status quo change after Action Comics 1K suggest to me that the Kents will either be back or will have at least lived through the Death and Return. I also believe the trunks will permanently return as well. I can't wait until both of these changes happen and the constant naysayers who think they work for DC Comics will be silenced for good.
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)

N/M, doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-19-2017 at 10:16 AM.

BANNED

I just hope it doesn't lead to a status quo where Lois and Clark separate (for a while)...because all this talk of "breaking rules" and "giving up if you give up" from Geoff has me worried. That said, he also said the story is about love too.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    I'm with you, and the recent rumors of another status quo change after Action Comics 1K suggest to me that the Kents will either be back or will have at least lived through the Death and Return. I also believe the trunks will permanently return as well. I can't wait until both of these changes happen and the constant naysayers who think they work for DC Comics will be silenced for good.
    What rumors are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I just hope it doesn't lead to a status quo where Lois and Clark separate (for a while)...because all this talk of "breaking rules" and "giving up if you give up" from Geoff has me worried. That said, he also said the story is about love too.
    You shouldn't worry about that. Gary Frank teased a scene of lois and clark in bed together in a scene from doomsday clock. And I doubt DC would have gone through everything the past few years to seperate the two again.

I strongly doubt that. I could definitely see some emotional friction, perhaps stemming from the presence of Oz if he sticks around and if he is indeed Jor-El, but especially with them having a son I don't see any separation angle.

What rumors are you talking about?
    Amazon has a supposed solicit already for the #1000-1006 collection, which mentions a status quo change. But its worth bearing in mind of course that "status quo change" doesn't and actually more often than not does not equal "timeline change". Reign was a status quo change, electric Superman was a status quo change, the marriage was a status quo change, B13 upgrading Metropolis was a status quo change, and so on and so forth. So it can really mean anything, if the information is even accurate. I'm not sure how much I trust an advanced blurb from Amazon regarding a collection of issues of which the standalone's yet aren't even close to publication, much less solicitation. Maybe it does get its info straight from DC, I don't know.

Edit: found it, here you go:
    Following the world-shattering events of THE OZ EFFECT, the Man of Steel must come to terms with a new status quo in SUPERMAN: ACTION COMICS VOL. 6!
    Superman has never faced a challenge like this–how will it change his relationship with Metropolis? And more importantly, with his wife, Lois Lane, and his super son, Jonathan?
    Classic Superman scribe Dan Jurgens (THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN) continues his epic return to the Man of Steel in SUPERMAN: ACTION COMICS VOL. 6, collecting issues #1001-1006.
    If accurate it sounds much more like it has a lot do with whatever his relationship with Oz will be once the identity is revealed, and how it affects his other relationships. If Oz is actually his father, that alone would constitute a status quo change. A living, present Jor-El would be a huge change if he's slated to be around for a while.

Of course there are certain hopes some have for a post-#1000 Superman that doesn't require timeline changes. Like if they decided to put him back in the trunks. You don't have to mess with history for that, he'd just decide to put back on an older costume. So that's far less of a long-shot than the Kents being resurrected. I'm not of the opinion they'll do even that, but if it were okayed, all it takes is one issue saying "hey I'm gonna wear this suit today".
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-19-2017 at 10:20 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

The post-Oz Effect's status quo shake-up could simply be Superman being put out of his comfort zone for around 10 issues like for Truth, Exile, etc..
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-19-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Question

PAGE NOT FOUND.

Seems that was erased... The first and final image are in other place too..

https://www.newsarama.com/36032-firs...ck-covers.html

... I hope see soon the solicitations..
    Last edited by adrikito; 08-21-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Manhattan!

And those are some very Watchmen-evocative covers...

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    Silenced for good? Come on man, you're not new around here. We still argue about COIE and its been over thirty years.

I wouldn't be surprised if the trunks come back though. It would just about fit DC; they finally stumbled upon a solid, worthy replacement in the new belt and a year later they dump it? Yeah, that sounds like what DC does with Superman. Now, if they do bring back the trunks, cool. Hard to argue with the classic look. But the current suit is easily the best new variation DC has ever published in main continuity and I'm really hoping they leave it as it is. Love the Reborn costume. Wont be disappointed if they bring back the trunks, but I really dont feel like they need to. Its not like Superman is unrecognizable because they're missing.

The Kents return, Im not sold on. I think if they were going to be brought back, it would have been done in Reborn. That seems like the natural place to do it where it would have had the most impact and weight. I could be wrong of course, but I think this is a pre-Crisis element that is likely to stick around. Of course, Johns seems to always do the exact opposite of what I'd want to see with Superman and I prefer my Kents dead as disco, so I cant rule the Kents' return out. It does seem like the kind of thing he'd do.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.