Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

The Trinity logo with a Rorschach spin is boss.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Silenced for good? Come on man, you're not new around here. We still argue about COIE and its been over thirty years.

I wouldn't be surprised if the trunks come back though. It would just about fit DC; they finally stumbled upon a solid, worthy replacement in the new belt and a year later they dump it? Yeah, that sounds like what DC does with Superman. Now, if they do bring back the trunks, cool. Hard to argue with the classic look. But the current suit is easily the best new variation DC has ever published in main continuity and I'm really hoping they leave it as it is. Love the Reborn costume. Wont be disappointed if they bring back the trunks, but I really dont feel like they need to. Its not like Superman is unrecognizable because they're missing.

The Kents return, Im not sold on. I think if they were going to be brought back, it would have been done in Reborn. That seems like the natural place to do it where it would have had the most impact and weight. I could be wrong of course, but I think this is a pre-Crisis element that is likely to stick around. Of course, Johns seems to always do the exact opposite of what I'd want to see with Superman and I prefer my Kents dead as disco, so I cant rule the Kents' return out. It does seem like the kind of thing he'd do.
    I also think the Reborn Costume is the best variation of the Superman suit and would not mind it sticking around for years to come. However, the trunks enthusiasts are a loud minority in the Superman fandom. Even though Pre Flashpoint Superman has basically taken over from New 52 Superman, they insist the trunks are needed for the character to be truly whole. I wouldn't be surprised if the return of the trunks is to appease that group.

Though personally I am a big fan of The Kents so I wouldn't mind them returning during Doomsday Clock.

The fan enthusiasts of the trunks won't matter much, I think. I think the question will be whether the enthusiasts within DC, the older talent of the likes of Jurgens, get their voices heard or not. If they do, there's a decent chance they could come back. They're under the same delusion that the outright trunks haters were: that their presence or lack thereof will have a magical healing power on the franchise. If that influences Johns, Didio, WB at all or they just don't care one way or another, maybe they get their way. Either way, if they came back, fine. Its nothing that a simple "I'm wearing my old costume again" proclamation won't take care.

The Kents on the other hand can't come back lest this timeline hold absolutely no credibility whatsoever. You don't overhaul a timeline twice in two years. And that's what their return would require. They had the chance to do it in Reborn, they passed. To me that's a final decision for at least 5 years or so. To change their mind so quickly would show a lack of competent decision making. If it were revealed the actual plan, it would show a lack of competent storytelling. It just can't happen. They're dead as Dillinger. They want a grandparent for Jon, use Sam.

Well, actually, they can use Jor-El too due to the high likelihood he's Mr. Oz.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-21-2017 at 11:46 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

One thing we can say for sure now, HE WILL NOT get the trunks back in Action 1000 besides flashbacks. Doomsday Clock takes place one year ahead of current stories and action 1000 will be before it.

That's a good point. I had forgotten about that.

Why are people so obsessed about trunks? Current costume is perfect.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    Why are people so obsessed about trunks? Current costume is perfect.
    Based on the discussions I have had with people in this form who want them back, besides nostalgia, the suit never works without the trunks. Even though 3 live action movies,several animated movies,tons of merchandise and 7 years of comics says other wise.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Based on the discussions I have had with people in this form who want them back, besides nostalgia, the suit never works without the trunks. Even though 3 live action movies,several animated movies,tons of merchandise and 7 years of comics says other wise.
    You conveniently ignore the extremely logical and detailed explanations I and others have given for the importance of the trunks as symbol and as part of the very first superhero uniform. Like other iconiclasts who arrived on the scene with Hobo of Steel and the New 52, you continue to rely on the tired and completely erroneous nostalgia argument.
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)

It's idiotic to assume that the image of Superman on the cover of the first issue of DC is necessarily from the time the series takes place. The art seems to suggest not Superman's construction but rather, a deconstruction. We know with as much certainty as we can at this point that Manhattan was behind the New 52, an "experiment" designed to weaken the DCU. Manhattan was also responsible for splitting Superman into two beings, thus weakening him as well. It's logical to infer that Superman and his continuity will further be tinkered with and/or deconstructed and reconstructed throughout the 12-issue run of Doomsday Clock.

I await the first interior art that reveals Superman and/or his status quo one year ahead of now is different from what we've seen since Reborn. No massive changes to the current status quo of a unified timeline, etc., but there will be further changes. Johns was behind Reborn and it was spelled out in Oz's dialogue that there is an uncertainty as to whether or not the unified timeline and its changes are permanent or if Superman and his world are indeed subject to further change.
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    You conveniently ignore the extremely logical and detailed explanations I and others have given for the importance of the trunks as symbol and as part of the very first superhero uniform. Like other iconiclasts who arrived on the scene with Hobo of Steel and the New 52, you continue to rely on the tired and completely erroneous nostalgia argument.
    The trunks don't symbolize anything. They're just trunks. The 'S' sure, the cape sure. The trunks? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    The trunks don't symbolize anything. They're just trunks. The 'S' sure, the cape sure. The trunks? Nope.
    To begin with, they break up the color of the uniform. Secondly, they are not inspired by strongmen suits, a common fallacy made by people who don't know the history of the suit. They are part of what was a unique creation in 1938, the very first superhero uniform. As such, they cannot be "dated."

As for symbolism, girding of the loins is a symbol of masculine strength in mythological heroic symbolism. Here's a far better exploration of the meaning and importance of the trunks than I am capable of offering.

All I know is I hope Doomsday Clock is about far more than just more hackneyed history changes to further pander to post-Crisis fans, and a change of clothes.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-21-2017 at 05:48 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Based on this guys line of thinking, Mark Millar makes a pretty good case for no overpants with Superior's wrestler belt.

But if one were to hypothetically adapt something similar to Superman or be inspired by it, they'd need to make the actual belt less busy so it doesn't battle for space with the shield. Something akin to a lifting belt might solve the issue https://www.roguefitness.com/media/c...t-web4_1_1.jpg It's something that's never gonna go "out of style" in anyone's mind because it has a very real functionality in the real world: the bracing and fortification of the transverse abdominis and lower back. It's also a more overt and easy to recognize symbol of strength and literal stability that virtually everyone can understand at just a glance.

The Reborn suit is great, and the classic is always A1, but I've been thinking about this a while (ever since the New 52 honestly), and I think the lifting belt aesthetic would be the best bet.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-21-2017 at 09:46 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I'm perfectly happy with belt and buckle as it is now, but a wrestling belt motif would be pretty badass too. I'd like to see a fan artist take a crack at that.

Extraordinary Member

The trunks are in continuity. They were part of his first and probably most iconic costume. That's all that matters to me. And even if they're not back now or in the near future, if there's anything we know about comic book characters, its that things always revert back to the classic, iconic status quo sooner or later. So, when there is eventually a change in the editorial guard at DC, I could see someone saying "let's bring the trunks back."