Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Yes, this Carol Danvers is still trying to prove herself, despite admitting proving so, only makes things worse. And yes, it's counterintuitive for Alpha Flight not to just leave to protect its personnel. Just use its retro rockets and move it towards the moon, and get away from the Chitauri attacks. She's putting her crew in harms way doing what she's doing.

All the super heroes have to be retrained with a session with Doc Samson after this, just to remove the drive to be recognised and need for glory.
    Mmmm... yes... if they have already located the Chitauri royal eggs, the personnel of Alpha Flight don't have much use anymore, do they? They are basically targets for the Chitauri and nothing more...

Carol Denvers could put them out of harm's way and focus on either destroying the Chitauri (she could recruit a small army of cosmic superheroes from other realities with America's help) or finding a way to move through the shield (have they already tried to move to another reality where the shield doesn't exists, land on Earth, and once on the surface jump back to their own reality?) so they can take the eggs away and/or defeat Hydra...

I really like this moment for Carol. I think this thing about her wanting to prove herself to everyone is a big part of her character, and it goes back to her backstory where her father never believed in her and she had to do everything by herself. It really works both as a real moment for her and as a meta thing for Civil War II.

Its everything I've been waiting for Carol to say. #RoadToRedemption #HigherFurtherFaster

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Who's Avril? Also, why is Carol talking to this person in a white void?

Also, 7 issues in. Will we see Hydra finally start to crumble? Be nice to see successful push back against that puts them on the defenses since we've been in one mode this entire event it feels like.

Extraordinary Member

Avril is the new Quasar, able to blast nearly half of the Defense Shield's energy.

BANNED

carol and company are in a catch 22 situation where they cannot risk destroying the shield as the chitauri wave is constantly making suicidal runs at it nor can they reach earth while the shield is up leaving them stranded and helpless.this kind of diabolical thinking is what we expect from Hydra cap the greatest milatry strategist this world has seen. the three prong attack by which he rendered three tiers of superheroes imprisoned or stranded is a example of devastatingly effective crippling of opposition to hydra and now he has gathered all the peices of cosmic cube from tony he seems practically invincible so the only way hydra would get a setback is if he is killed. having said that it seems that the battle is going to turn and most likely due when strange and co. break from the dark dimension as the rest do not seem up to the task of taking Steve down Natasha and co. notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Avril is the new Quasar, able to blast nearly half of the Defense Shield's energy.
    Yeah. She's a SHIELD agent introduced in Avengers Standoff. Wendell Vaughn, the previous Quasar, gave her the Quasar mantle at the end. She's since appeared in a few issues of the Steve Rogers series.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Poor Carol.

Don't worry, we're beginning to forgive you!
    Yeah, like someone said in another thread, Steve has played her like a fiddle. She's a lot more sympathetic now as a result of that revelation, compared to when the current Mighty Captain Marvel series began.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    Is the answer supposed to be:"Because Carol Danvers is stubborn and prideful?".

To me what this preview proves is that Carol knows she's on a tactically (and NOt strategically) untenable position but she won't retreat (which doesn't mean surrender) because her pride won't allow it even if this puts lives at risk. And the rationale for staying ("What happens if the shield comes down? Do we trust Hydra to take care of the Chitauri?") is ridicolous given the premises of this story and how Carol herself helped building the shield as impossible to breach.
    Even worse she's putting up a brave face but she's really just desperate as proved by her monologue to Quasar, yet she's too stubborn to see how the Alpha Flight station needs to retreat, rest and prepare to strike back with a plan. Instead she's decided to stay hoping for a miracle.
    We all know that miracle will happen but it doesn't make her decisions less asinine, irresponsible and therefore unforgivable.
    *sigh* Why do you say that. If you hate Carol like @Ianbarreilles stated, then I am just going to steer clear of your comments on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    Try giving different answer explaining why Carol is doing the right thing instead of avoiding the issue and attacking another poster without actually countering any of his statements.

Just for the record I don't "hate" comic book characters. I like some and dislike some others obviously, but I always had a fond spot for the Carol Denvers from Claremont's X-Men. This version of Carol? I just find it ridicolous.
    I NEVER get when people start talking about how they hate this or that character because of something he/she/it "did". They didn't do anything, authors made them do stuff on panel, sometimes it's good character development, sometimes it's bad, done in a hasty way and not properly developed.
    In the last few years Carol Danvers has CONSISTENTLY being depicted as asinine, stubborn, unflexible, militaristic on the verge of fascism. And despite all this somehow Marvel is supposed to promote her as their top female hero, which she's not and cannot become if she's shown to do things the way she does here.
    Blame that on the writers and not how the character is portrayed!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Okay, so this is like Infinity where the characters are waiting for Captain Plotdevice to wake up and that'll save the day then.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Okay, so this is like Infinity where the characters are waiting for Captain Plotdevice to wake up and that'll save the day then.
    To be fair, isn't what this whole series really is? Waiting for Steve Rogers to wake up as himself, which will put an end to all of this.

The good part is that Carol finally acknowledged his mistakes and liked how they did this by paying tribute in the same style as when Tony admitted his mistakes to Steve's body in the first Civil War. That does not mean that everything will be forgiven and forgotten but it is the Beginning of the Character's Redemption.

Mighty Member

At least this preview explains the questions I had asked about getting supplies and leaving the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Materiel View Post
    That Carol monologue felt a little meta, but it sounds good.
    Lol, it reminds me of the speech Homer Simpson wrote in defense of Poochie:

"Hello there Itchy, I know there's a lot of people who don't like me and wish I would go away, but I think we got off on the wrong foot. I know I can come off as a little proactive and for that, I'm sorry."

Of course, then this happened:

"The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I really like this moment for Carol. I think this thing about her wanting to prove herself to everyone is a big part of her character, and it goes back to her backstory where her father never believed in her and she had to do everything by herself. It really works both as a real moment for her and as a meta thing for Civil War II.
    Tony Stark has had a couple of those moments post-Civil War and he always reverts back to type. I doubt other Marvel writers will pay much attention to her one page soliloquy buried within an event title centered on Captain America.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"