Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Does it now? Why did Hippolyta not just get laid if it was that important to her? Why did the gods help her out?
    She lives on an island populated only by women. (As should be blindingly obvious by even a cursory glance at the setting.)

The gods helped her for the same reasons that gods ALWAYS do things: because it served their own purpose. They saw some reason why they should grant her request, they had the power to grant it, so they granted it.

Next?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    She lives on an island populated only by women. (As should be blindingly obvious by even a cursory glance at the setting.)

The gods helped her for the same reasons that gods ALWAYS do things: because it served their own purpose. They saw some reason why they should grant her request, they had the power to grant it, so they granted it.

Next?
    Why does she live on an island where there are only women? And is it so far away she couldn't just get in a boat?

Cop out argument, try harder.

I can keep going.

You mean aside from all the stories about sentient being made of otherwise non-sentient material, like various robots, Pinocchio and Frankenstein's Monster.
    Even the clay origin is distinct enough from those.

I dislike it because it's stupid, convoluted and marks out Diana as something less than human. Shes not technically human, or even an Amazon, she's a product of makers the same way Ultron and the Vision are.
    And the same way the other Amazons are. I notice you didn't have an issue with the other Amazons being created by the gods.

I can't really, because people still use it for a reason.
    Kind of a double standard here don't you think?

Retired

What makes it sexist is the fact the clay origin stood for most of 70 years. The Zeus origin isn't sexist in itself, but it becomes so when it replaces the other one. They're both equally as far-fetched and they're both based in Greek legend. So what's the compellng reason for changing it? Some discreet level of sexism helps to explain why they would make the change--not that they wanted to be sexist, but to their minds one origin makes more sense than the other. So the reason it makes sense for them could be grounded in a cultural sexism.

For the movie, I didn't mind it because 1) it was left ambiguous and 2) the movie has to use narrative shorthand and not get bogged down in long explanations.

If they really needed Zeus to play a part in Diana's creation then it could be his lightning that brings her to life--which could connect Diana with Shazam. That still gives Zeus a paternal interest in Diana, but it doesn't get messy with all the sexual details of Zeus raping Hippolyte. And it is rapey, because there's an imbalance of power--a god can make a mortal do anything--so however Zeus got Hippolyte pregnant it has a creep-factor involved.

Why does she live on an island where there are only women? And is it so far away she couldn't just get in a boat?

I can keep going.
    Because living with men turned out to be a pretty shitty experience.

There is literally no question you ask that can not be easily explained away just by paying attention to the setting or the characters. If anything, it has less holes in it than Batman and Superman's origins.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Because living with men turned out to be a pretty shitty experience.

There is literally no question you ask that can not be easily explained away just by paying attention to the setting or the characters. If anything, it has less holes in it than Batman and Superman's origins.
    You don't get it, its the fact that I can ask thats the problem. You have to explain the entire Amazon backstory before you have explained the clay origins.

So why was it a shitty experience.

I can keep going.
    The amount of mental gymnastics you're deliberately performing in order to complicate a simple origin is really flimsy. If someone answers those questions -- and you know the answers already anyway -- you're just going to keep asking "WHY?" and claiming that makes things convoluted.

Why does Superman grow up in Smallville?
    The Kents adopted him after finding his rocket.
    Why was his rocket there??
    His Kryptonian parents sent him there.
    Why did they send him there???
    Krypton was blowing up.
    Why was Krypton blowing up????
    Its core was made unstable.
    Why was its core made unstable?????

BANNED

Even the clay origin is distinct enough from those.
    Save for Pinocchio who has the exact same one because it's based on the same myth.

And the same way the other Amazons are. I notice you didn't have an issue with the other Amazons being created by the gods.
    Their origins aren't the topic.

Kind of a double standard here don't you think?
    Asbestos has been around for hundreds of years as a kind of miracle material that couldn't burn. It's only recently we've started handling it with care because it was discovered it was really dangerous.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    The amount of mental gymnastics you're deliberately performing in order to complicate a simple origin is really flimsy. If someone answers those questions -- and you know the answers already anyway -- you're just going to keep asking "WHY?" and claiming that makes things convoluted.
    Because I am proving a point.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Why did Bruce Wayne become Batman?
    His parents were killed.
    Why were they killed?
    Because some lowlife wanted their money.
    Why did he want their money?
    Because he was poor and selfish.
    Why was he poor and selfish?
    Because he wasn't born to rich parents. (Not that rich people aren't selfish or too or anything.)
    Why wasn't he born to rich parents?

On and on we go.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 07-21-2017 at 07:52 AM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Save for Pinocchio who has the exact same one because it's based on the same myth.

Their origins aren't the topic.

Asbestos has been around for hundreds of years as a kind of miracle material that couldn't burn. It's only recently we've started handling it with care because it was discovered it was really dangerous.
    Having one thing in common with one character vs several others. I'll take the former.

Oh aren't they?

What does this have to do with anything?

You don't get it, its the fact that I can ask thats the problem. You have to explain the entire Amazon backstory before you have explained the clay origins.

So why was it a shitty experience.
    Why? Just because you have an issue with it, doesn't mean everyone else will. Did you ever think that maybe this is just a personal hang up you have?

Judging by some reviews, quite a number of people like the Amazons.

Because misogyny was rampant even morese than it is today and the Amazons decided they were sick of it. Come on man, you're not even trying.

BANNED

Having one thing in common with one character vs several others. I'll take the former.
    Please go on about how similar Diana is to Percy Jackson or whatever.

Oh aren't they?
    This appears to be the title of this thread:
    Diana remain daughter of Zeus confirmed in SDCC ?

What does this have to do with anything?
    Proving that stuff thats old isn't necessarily good.

Why? Just because you have an issue with it, doesn't mean everyone else will. Did you ever think that maybe this is just a personal hang up you have?
    Have you considered that in the echo-chamber of the internet that the clay origins is not some part of a holy bible?

Judging by some reviews, quite a number of people like the Amazons.
    And?

Because misogyny was rampant even morese than it is today and the Amazons decided they were sick of it. Come on man, you're not even trying.
    Like I say, I am proving a point, and I reached the half a dozen questions. And no, ofc I am not trying, these are the ones that just immediately pop up in any head that wont accept a 'because they did so' as a reason.
    Last edited by Outside_85; 07-21-2017 at 07:55 AM.

Because I am proving a point.
    Is the point that deliberate pedantry can make any storyline seem convoluted? The fact is that the clay origin is no more or less difficult to understand than any other, and endlessly asking people to explain every obvious detail of it just makes it seem like you never made a sincere effort to engage with it in the first place.

Please go on about how similar Diana is to Percy Jackson or whatever.
    Children of Greek gods who end up cleaning up their dads’ messes. Need I go on?

This appears to be the title of this thread:
    Diana remain daughter of Zeus confirmed in SDCC ?
    Proving that stuff thats old isn't necessarily good.
    I repeat, same applies to the Zeus origin.

Have you considered that in the echo-chamber of the internet that the clay origins is not some part of a holy bible?
    Have you ever considered the same of the Zeus origin?
    And I’m pretty sure you could say the same of anything about superhero comics.

And?
    And if people have to listen to a few lines of backstory for the Amazons, I don’t think they’ll mind. If anything this just enriches Diana’s world through worldbuilding. You know, that thing good stories are supposed to have?

Like I say, I am proving a point, and I reached the half a dozen questions. And no, ofc I am not trying, these are the ones that just immediately pop up in any head that wont accept a 'because they did so' as a reason.
    You reached four questions at most. All of which you knew the answer to and are plainly obvious by paying attention. No one responed with “because they did so” as a reason.