View Poll Results: Should Laura still be Wolverine when Logan returns?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

89 53.94%
  • No

76 46.06%
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default When Logan Comes Back: Should X-23 Still Be Wolverine?

This question has been on my mind for a while now. Between Marvel Legacy and the possible prospect of Logan returning, I think it's worth discussing. Let's face it. Logan is NOT going to stay dead. There's only so much Marvel can do to keep one of their most popular characters dead. He will come back, at some point. It may not be with Marvel Legacy, but he will return and I think it's going to happen sooner rather than later. So that leads me to wonder.

When Logan does return, what will happen with X-23's status as Wolverine?

However you may feel about her having that title and wearing the uniform, there's no doubt that her series has been pretty popular. All-New Wolverine has been a consistently good X-men comic since Secret Wars, which is saying a lot given the state of the X-books at one point. After Enemy of the State II, Laura made it a point to emphasize that she is Wolverine now. She's embraced that role. Other major players in the Marvel universe call her Wolverine. She's earned that role.

So what happens when Logan comes back? Honestly, I can see him effectively ceding that role to her, just as Odinson did with Thor. Perhaps him being Wolverine is not a burden he wants to carry with his new lease on life. I can see him wanting someone else to carry that title while he just learns to be Logan for a while. Perhaps All-New Wolverine can continue while the Old Man Logan series just becomes "Logan." It worked for the movies. Why not the comics?
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

There are two Spider-Man. There can be two Wolverine.

Yes. I don't think it makes sense or is any fair for her to go back to X-23 since that name has a bad meaning for her that she wants to forget, and another codename for her it's just not gonna work. She's his clone and daugther, so what would be the big deal really for them to be Wolverine together?

I want her to be X-23 again but she can stay with Wolverine costume. It works her and Logan is better without mask and costume.

Laura can keep the name all for herself for all I care as long as they bring Logan back. Tha said I never understood how X-23 fans have viewed Laura's renaming as anything but an insult because to me it says oh she can't carry a series without a man helping her or doing it for her. It seems like a back handed promotion like a company giving a female employee the title our Female CEO.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Laura can keep the name all for herself for all I care as long as they bring Logan back. Tha said I never understood how X-23 fans have viewed Laura's renaming as anything but an insult because to me it says oh she can't carry a series without a man helping her or doing it for her. It seems like a back handed promotion like a company giving a female employee the title our Female CEO.
    From a technical/marketing/irl/whatever standpoint, that makes sense, but in-story, it's just the opposite. X-23 was a name the people who created her as just a weapon and have treated her like **** since she was born gave to her. Because for them she was just a number, not a person. Getting away from that and choosing to name herself after someone she admired and saw as a father, it's much more empowering and positive for her.

BANNED

It's not as if he even needs a codename.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Laura herself rarely used X-23 (about the only time she openly declared herself by that name was in her first appearance in Uncanny under Claremont, and most of those issues have been quietly retconned since). Even most of her friends almost as a rule simply called her Laura, or sometimes "X" as a nickname, but for the most part the only people in-universe who used "X-23" were people like Rice and Kimura, who were actively attempting to dehumanize her.

So in-universe, it NEVER made sense she would go by X-23.

As to OP, I'm divided on the issue.

On the one hand, she's certainly earned the name, even if Marvel was incredibly clumsy with the implementation (we SHOULD have gotten to see her make that decision on-panel, rather than picking up afterwards. It would have made the transition smoother and more poignant). And it would certainly be amusing to watch the fanboys froth at the mouth if she continues to use it after Logan returns. Especially if she were to offer it back, and Logan were to decline and tell her that she's Wolverine now, she has to own it.

However I don't like the idea of multiple characters running around using the same code name, and if/when Logan were to return and pick the name back up, I'd rather she take on a new identity (say, have her ACTUALLY use the Talon codename from NXM) rather than them both using it.

There is already a second version of logan walkin about. Isn't governor james howelett running around in 616. Did raze dissappear when wolverine was killed? I feel both can be compelling characters.
    “I am the ultimate hunter, come from the future to destroy you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
    There is already a second version of logan walkin about. Isn't governor james howelett running around in 616. Did raze dissappear when wolverine was killed? I feel both can be compelling characters.
    Well there's a first time for everything.

If Logan comes back and goes by Wolverine, I think there is enough place for both going by Wolverine. I really do not care if Laura goes by Wolverine or not . And if it makes her fans happy....so be it. Marketing wise it makes sense. Story wise also!
    She chose the codename in story , so it make sense to carry the name a bit longer. She left being x-23 behind her and has no codename to go back. (I would have preferred that they had used a own codename for Laura, but this is how it went!)

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Perhaps him being Wolverine is not a burden he wants to carry with his new lease on life. I can see him wanting someone else to carry that title while he just learns to be Logan for a while. Perhaps All-New Wolverine can continue while the Old Man Logan series just becomes "Logan." It worked for the movies. Why not the comics?
    This option is also good for me, because I noticed that Logan calling himself Wolverine is not important for me any longer. I am interested in Logan and not the “mantel”. Logan was made into Wolverine and did not chose to be Wolverine (I started reading comics ca. 1,5 years ago, this is based on the stuff I have already read but I am still catching up!), he made the best out of what was given to him. So outgrowing it would be a development that could be interesting.
    But if he goes back to be a superhero (and I prefer this), I think he will need a codename eventually......

But personally for me "The Wolverine" will always be Logan for me. This will not change for me, even if he does not go by Wolverine any longer. Because he can not change his past.
    And marketing wise ….he does not need it any more.

I do not know which outcome I prefer, I think it depends on the stories being told.
    But she can keep the codename for all I care.!

Thing is, Logan is already a viable codename. His real name is James Howlett.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Thing is, Logan is already a viable codename. His real name is James Howlett.
    Right, I forgot this...
    Last edited by Gylfie; 07-21-2017 at 06:36 AM.

BANNED

It'd be easier to have "Wolverine" in multiple books and it make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
    Kinda wish General Howlett got a book or at least co-starred with OML. Hate for him to go into limbo so soon after getting tons of press.