Fantastic Member

Default Recommend Me Some Thor Graphic Novels Please!

I really want to delve deep into a lot of Thor lore right before I watch Thor Ragnarok next Sunday the 29th of October so that I can get to grips on his most classic well known stories in the Marvel Universe.
    I've never been a big Thor fan growing up and found him too dull for my taste but since his movie trilogy is now almost complete I really wanna more about him as a comic book character.
    Any good recommendations?

Incredible Member

Anything from the Walt Simonson run. Thor was never better than in those stories.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Anything from the Walt Simonson run. Thor was never better than in those stories.
    Pretty much this. Simonson did a great job of combining Norse mythology and superheroics to make Thor stand out. Walt spoiled me for anyone else doing Thor. Not that there's any problems with the later creators, but any Thor fan should read the Simonson work.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelGM View Post
    I really want to delve deep into a lot of Thor lore right before I watch Thor Ragnarok next Sunday the 29th of October so that I can get to grips on his most classic well known stories in the Marvel Universe.
    I've never been a big Thor fan growing up and found him too dull for my taste but since his movie trilogy is now almost complete I really wanna more about him as a comic book character.
    Any good recommendations?
    The obvious choice is Thor by Walt Simonson. Some other very good graphic novels are:

Thor: God of Thunder by Aaron and Ribic
    Thor by JMS and Coipel
    Thor: Ragnaroks by Oeming and others
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Was the mini-series where they re-imagined Thor's early days ever collected? It was basically like a "Thor loves Jane Foster" series with Hyde and Namor in it.

There was also a mini with art by (Im gonna butcher the name here) Simone Biallachi that I quite enjoyed. I dont recall much of the story, honestly, but the art itself was worth the price of admission.

As for trades....I'm no Thor expert, but aside from the Simonson stuff, I've really enjoyed Aaron's entire Thor work, starting with the God of Thunder series (about three trades, starting with the God Butcher) up through to the current Mighty Thor.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I'd also recommend the Journey into Mystery relaunch they did around the time Fear Itself came out.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Was the mini-series where they re-imagined Thor's early days ever collected? It was basically like a "Thor loves Jane Foster" series with Hyde and Namor in it.
    Do you mean this?

https://www.amazon.com/Thor-Mighty-A...8WKV4DQNS5G0MM

A great series btw and nice to have collected in one place.

If you can find it, I'd also recommend Thor: Godstorm by Buskiek, DeFalco and Steve Rude.

Incredible Member

The Eternals Saga by Roy Thomas is a good one.

Oh, you know the Loki: Agent of Asgard series by Ewing was amazing. One of the best Marvel books I've read in recent years. Not about Thor, but obviously closely connected and the Thunderer does show up a fair amount.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    The obvious choice is Thor by Walt Simonson. Some other very good graphic novels are:

Thor: God of Thunder by Aaron and Ribic
    Thor by JMS and Coipel
    Thor: Ragnaroks by Oeming and others
    This was my favorite.

Straczynski's run after Ragnarok leading up to Siege was really enjoyable. Thor's "chat" with Tony Stark during the Superhuman Registration Act is one of my favorite moments in comics.
    Currently Reading:
    MARVEL - Fantastic Four, She-Hulk, Hulk vs Thor: Banner of War
    DC - Batman: Shadow War, Batman: Beyond the White Knight, World's Finest
    Dark Horse Koschei the Deathless in Hell
    Other