Page 60 of 220 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I finished reading the Amazing Spider-Man by David Michelinie and Tod McFarlane Omnibus.Great read,i had read these stories before in another collected editions but i enjoyed re-reading them in a Omnibus.
    And the Collected Edition i am currently reading is Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle TPB.

Astonishing Member

A few thoughts about the Amazing Spider-Man by David Michelinie and Tod McFarlane.
    Visually the Omnibus looks great, not as thick as the ASM Omnibus 1 and 2 but even so looks good on the Bookshelf.
    Story wise, this was a book that I could not stop Reading (And I have even read those stories before), the stories are dynamic in terms of moving the narrative of Peter Parker forward. There is a nice mixture of new villains and some classics re-appearing.
    The stories have Peter Parker and Mary Jane in very interesting developments. In many stories, some of the focus is on Mary Jane career and the stories do not get boring because of that at all. The references to stories of Spectacular Spider-Man and Web of Spider-Man are cool.
    Art wise, Tod McFarlane illustrations are just way cool. The first stories have a more traditional art style of Marvel with him (But even in those early stories by him there can be seen his great art style appearing (as in the spaghetti webbing) but a few stories more the art style changes to the "McFarlane art style".
    The art keeps improving with each issue, and even some panels where the characters seem a bit off with having larger heads that normal that´s like a minor complain because I just noticed that when I read this Omnibus, had not even noticed that when I read those stories way back.All though looking at the covers many of these stories were published bi-weekly during that time.So maybe it was because of short time that McFalrane art in some pannels do not look as good as usual.And considerating the quality of the stories it´s impressive how David Michelinie kept such a good consistency even when being published twice a month.
    Going back to the stories, David Michelinie stories kept improving as well. Even besides the stories collected in this Omnibus, there were great stories by him as the Return of Sinister Six story arcs.

Fantastic Four: Crusaders & Titans.
    Which reprints my 1st FF issue, #176.
    Improbable As It May Seem--The Impossible Man Is Back In Town!
    61pcpQIjuBL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I finished the Superheavy HC yesterday. Better than I was expecting.

I've now picked Dr. Strange & Dr. Doom: Triumph & Torment off the shelf to read next.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Got around to finally start the Spirit by Darwin Cooke that Dick Grayson bound for me a while back, collecting issues 1 - 32 & Batman/The Spirt, this really is good stuff, the Spirit really is a cool character and the supporting cast is just as cool, just goes to show there is so much really good stuff out there which needs to be collected properly
    That is one beautiful hardcover. I really enjoyed Cooke's run on that series but I never got around to buying the final three trades. Would love to read your thoughts on issues #14-32 when you get to them.

Just finished The Sixth Gun Vol. 1 Cold Dead Fingers by Cullen Bunn and Brian Hurtt. I was hooked by the premise and the art but the characters left me cold. Hopefully, they'll begin to show more personality in vol. 2.

Incredible Member

Was a bit short on time so still haven't finished Baltimore even though it's a really great read.

Wanted to continue with The Incal, but due to the passings of Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, I thought I'd crack open the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Volume 1 for a bit of old-school fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I enjoyed The Fade Out the entire way through. I wasn't disappointed by the ending. If I think about it, more could have occurred, but I found it somewhat realistic in that scenarios in real life often aren't resolved in satisfying fashion. Kind of reminded me of the end of season 1 of True Detective.
    I'm a big fan of the time period and type of story, but I would only give it 3 stars. I looked forward to each issue but never really got immersed. Another Brubaker story from around that time, Velvet, was much better and I actually had a dream about it and it took me a few minutes to realize it was a comic and not a movie I had just watched. I suppose it had the advantage of my waiting to read it all at once.

Reading Batman Second Chances/Dark Knight Detective vol1. Alternating between the two to read each month's, pretty fun. Slightly annoying to have to read Year One and Two in other books, but at least I had them.

I will say that I thought Batman overall was a little darker by this point (post-Crisis), but I think that's because Year One, Death in the Family, The Cult, and DKR were very memorable to me...the regular issues, not so much. Still enjoyable and I'll be picking up the subsequent books at some point. Also, the Dark Knight Detective was nice quality than Second Chances, could be why they changed the branding after that book.

Walking Dead vol. 15 hardcover - collects ch. 29-30. Basically one of the transitional volumes, which is okay after all the crazy big events and heartfelt moments of the previous two. Still has some good stuff in this one, especially the ending which left me pumped for what comes next.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm a big fan of the time period and type of story, but I would only give it 3 stars. I looked forward to each issue but never really got immersed. Another Brubaker story from around that time, Velvet, was much better and I actually had a dream about it and it took me a few minutes to realize it was a comic and not a movie I had just watched. I suppose it had the advantage of my waiting to read it all at once.

Velvet is far superior to The Fade Out in almost every way, but they're completely different comics (Albeit written by the same person).....Velvet was more exciting/action-packed, had a larger tapestry wherein you weren't quite sure who the main villain was nor who Velvet Templeton could trust, made the era it occurred in look almost majestic (The 1970s, an era I usually have an aversion to), etc.....Also, although I almost always love a Brubaker/Phillips collaboration, Steve Epting's artwork (Velvet) is far more appealing to me than that of Sean Phillips.....The only similarity I see between the two books is Brubaker's excellent use of accuracy for the timeframes the respective comics were set in.

I remember getting the Velvet hardcover for a girl I was in a relationship with at the time. She loved it and had to immediately re-read Velvet after first finishing the book.....I'm hoping Brubaker dives into that world with Steve Epting again in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Amacent View Post
    That is one

beautiful hardcover. I really enjoyed Cooke's run on that series but I never got around to buying the final three trades. Would love to read your thoughts on issues #14-32 when you get to them.

Just finished The Sixth Gun Vol. 1 Cold Dead Fingers by Cullen Bunn and Brian Hurtt. I was hooked by the premise and the art but the characters left me cold. Hopefully, they'll begin to show more personality in vol. 2.
    Still reading the spirit (at work) up to about issue 20 now and still enjoying it so I recommend you get the remaining trades.
    Started Absolute Final Crisis at home, I’m about 3 issues in and I’m not sure how I feel about it, never read it before, am I missing a big massive lead into the series, or is this all I really need to read? It probably helps to be a Morrison fan, which I’m not really (my last two absolutes, Death and Blackest night, ended up on eBay, Undecided with this one at the mo)
    Last edited by Hellboydce; 11-15-2018 at 04:18 PM.

Started Absolute Final Crisis at home, I’m about 3 issues in and I’m not sure how I feel about it, never read it before, am I missing a big massive lead into the series, or is this all I really need to read? It probably helps to be a Morrison fan, which I’m not really (my last two absolutes, Death and Blackest night, ended up on eBay, Undecided with this one at the mo)

There's no build-up to Final Crisis, that's how it reads, lol......I'm a Morrison fan and I didn't like it. I felt like I was channel-surfing when I read that limited series.

Still reading the spirit (at work) up to about issue 20 now and still enjoying it so I recommend you get the remaining trades.
    It kinda has a lead up but I never read it: Death of the New gods (I think that's the title) written by Starlin I think? It's basically the new gods dying and then being reborn in new bodies on Earth (which is in Final Crisis) but I might be inaccurate with my description.
    Frankly, I don't think you will like Final crisis. The first 3 issues are fairly straight forward then it goes deliberately super disjointed (according to Morrison he didn't even go as disjointed as he wanted to) and you really need like 2 or 3 rereads to put everything together (at least I did).
    To me Final Crisis is an experiment that mostly works if you are into this meta weirdness that doesn't hold your hand or even actively trips you over while reading it.

So yeah, based on what you usually like I think you will hate it more and more as you will keep reading it

Incredible Member

Just finished Captain America Omnibus 2. Pretty solid. The Gene Colan art was great and is what would make me recommend this. Stan Lees writing was decent. Near the end the writing switches to Gary Friedrich. It happens in the middle of an ongoing story. I read his first page and wondered why the writing got so bad all of a sudden and than realized it was because it was the first non Stan Lee issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    It kinda has a lead up but I never read it: Death of the New gods (I think that's the title) written by Starlin I think? It's basically the new gods dying and then being reborn in new bodies on Earth (which is in Final Crisis) but I might be inaccurate with my description.
    Frankly, I don't think you will like Final crisis. The first 3 issues are fairly straight forward then it goes deliberately super disjointed (according to Morrison he didn't even go as disjointed as he wanted to) and you really need like 2 or 3 rereads to put everything together (at least I did).
    To me Final Crisis is an experiment that mostly works if you are into this meta weirdness that doesn't hold your hand or even actively trips you over while reading it.

So yeah, based on what you usually like I think you will hate it more and more as you will keep reading it
    Yep, you were right, got to the 3D issue and that was all she wrote, eBay here it comes, as I’m slowly making my way through my almost complete collection of Absolutes I’m realising that a lot of them aren’t worthy of the format