Page 48 of 219 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback on LOEG! Like you all said, the first two volumes are great and some of my favorite stuff by Moore. I'm really hoping they do new printings of the Absolute editions so I can buy those.

And I expected the later volumes to not be as good (how could they be?) but it sounds like they really take a step down. I actually don't mind some prose being mixed in, since I kind of expect it from Moore, but getting away from the period of the first volumes would be a little disappointing. I mean obviously the concept of Centuries is moving the story forward in time so that's expected I guess. I'll still pick them up but temper my expectations.
    Not Absolutes, but just in case you didn't know, there is a new omnibus of the first two volumes releasing March/April next year.

Incredible Member

Finished the Swamp Thing Omnibus. Overall, really enjoyed it. It was "solid" throughout. I thought the Pasko run was pretty good and I enjoyed it nearly as much as the Wein run. I think I was in the right frame of mind for it. After I finish up Infinite Crisis, I am onto Moores run.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    After I finish up Infinite Crisis, I am onto Moores run.
    Nothing will ruin a book more for me than hype...I am always hesitant to read a “classic” run because I may not like it, and feel like I wasted time.

Moore’s Swamp Thing was not the case. I think I read his run earlier this year, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope you do, too.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    Nothing will ruin a book more for me than hype...I am always hesitant to read a “classic” run because I may not like it, and feel like I wasted time.

Moore’s Swamp Thing was not the case. I think I read his run earlier this year, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope you do, too.
    Classic runs are always risky that way. I had read the first TP a while back and was going to wait for an omnibus. That doesnt look to be anytime soon. I just re-read the first few issues of the first TP again. I enjoyed it more knowing the characters and being more invested already in the Swamp Thing character. Looking forward to getting into the series.

Alan Moore Fanboy ZorakLovesComics's Avatar

Don't forget to check out the Nemo books as well, Dr. Hank.

nemo-covers-1000_lg.jpg

Extraordinary Member

I have now finished my entire summer comic reading! The only books I deliberately left out are the Infinity Gauntlet (I want to read it after Avengers 4 next year) and the Doctor Strange omnibus. Will also be reading Hickman's 2nd avengers, because I blazed through the first in a week which for me is amazing. Will read over Spencer's collected Ant-Man but no comics for 8 months ugh!

Incredible Member

Took a break from Infinite Crisis right where they are about to explain Crisis on Infinite Earths. So I am now reading Crisis on Infinite Earths Deluxe before going back. Loving it. Also finished up Swamp Thing Vol 3. Ok, I now get why this is considered great. It’s not just Moore. Loving the art as well.

Absolute Dark Victory, a worthy follow up to Long Halloween

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Absolute Dark Victory, a worthy follow up to Long Halloween
    I plan on buying the Loeb/Sale Omnibus in a couple weeks...specifically for the two stories you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    I plan on buying the Loeb/Sale Omnibus in a couple weeks...specifically for the two stories you mentioned.
    Yeah, don’t buy a great many omni’s now, but if I didn’t have the Absolutes of these, the omni would be a definite buy, they don’t make em like this anymore

I finally got around to finishing the last 6 volumes fo Charley's War whilst visiting my parents (my library is with them just now). Honestly, it was really, really good. Especially the artwork, I really feel that the art is integral to the quality of the story itself. I found myself not so interested in the Russian part at the end to be honest, but otherwise, no criticisms. I still wouldn't recommend it to just anybody though as I think that some people might struggle with it, it's not exactly a 'fun' read.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Eternal Warrior Deluxe, was maybe my favourite valiant book from back in the 90’s this didn’t start out too well, first arc bored me but really picked up after that and really enjoying it now
    Last edited by Hellboydce; 08-29-2018 at 04:54 AM.

Incredible Member

Currently reading Realm of Kings, as last part of a five-omnibus Marvel Cosmic Saga (Annihilation, Annihilation Conquest, Road to War of Kings, War of Kings and Realm of Kings). By the way I also read the Inhumans by Paul Jenkins and Jae Lee before I started on the War of Kings trilogy and it was great to get to know more about the Inhumans.

This series of omnis also contains the entire Guardians of the Galaxy run by Abnett & Lanning, as well as their entire Nova series. Both belong to the best parts of this cosmic saga.

I find this modern Marvel cosmic content to be highly enjoyable. I wasn't blown away by some of the art in Annihilation, but after that the art was consistently good to great.

Would recommend this to everyone, but particularly if you enjoyed the epicness of Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run, this might be for you.

Incredible Member

Finished up Crisis on Infinite Earths. I really enjoyed it and was never bored although I stuck to an issue or 2 a night. There are a lot of characters but when it comes down to it, there are mostly a lot of cameos which are not tied directly into the main storyline going on. Once they establish the main characters, you are good to go. Going through these Crisis events, I found I have enjoyed it more at least knowing who the major players were. I don't know all DC characters or their backgrounds but I know enough so it boosted by enjoyment. It was great to see Sgt Rock and Haunted tank show up as these were characters I had read when I was younger.
    I think if you have a passable knowledge of the DC universe, these Crisis events are great. I don't think they are the best introduction for someone newer to the DC universe though. Now I am going back to Infinite Crisis right where they were going to explain what happened in COIE.
    Note: The quality of the book was pretty good. Nice glossy cover with paper similar to the recent Green Lantern/Green Arrow deluxe. It's sewn binding but pretty tight. There isn't much gutter loss except occasionally if the art spread to the next page.
    Last edited by RamblingMan; 08-29-2018 at 04:28 AM.

Started on my Ennis Punisher Max V1 Omnibus. Hands down, my favorite Punisher run.