Page 152 of 219 FirstFirst ... 52102142148149150151152153154155156162202 ... LastLast
Results 2,266 to 2,280 of 3277

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Tintin in the Land of the Soviets, by Hergé

My uncle used to collect Tintin as a child and for some reason my mother kept those comics, so I always had access to them and this year I read some when visiting my mother's house. As a kid, I read many of them, but I hadn't done so for over a decade and a half before 2020

This was one of the few albums that weren't at home, so I bought it for Christmas

I have all the Tintin books, they are great still today. Obviously there are racist elements that didn’t age very well, but that’s not a Herge exclusive

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I finally finished reading Doc Savage Archives Vol.1: The Curtis Magazine Era OHC. It was definitely a meaty read and I read other stuff in between the issues inside. It was quite enjoyable. Each story was about 50-60 pages and each story written by Doug Moench proved quite interesting with very good art by John Buscema, Tony Dezuniga, Marie Severin, Val Mayerik and Ernie Chan. There's several articles and some pin-up art by Ed Davis. It was probably one of the best comic magazines out at the time. The quality of the hardcover is par excellence. Excellent binding and thick quality paper. The book is wider than a Marvel Omnibus. An extremely top notch product.

Quote Originally Posted by csmith25 View Post
    Thats pretty cool. What year was that?.
    I believe 1991

Spectacular Member

I just finished Injustice Omnibus Volume 1. It was a lot of fun and well worth the read. I’d give it a solid 4/5. I’m a big Superman fan so seeing him breaking bad was painful yet delightful at the same point because you never see him like that. I also love how much of the DC universe was used. Very good utilization of a wide swath of characters. Made me want to read other titles like JSA, House of Mystery/Secrets, GL, etc. The reason I cannot give my highest recommendation is because I felt as though a lot of characters acted uncharacteristically in order to propel the plot. Without going into detail as I don’t want to spoil anything for those that haven’t read, some of Superman’s allies behaved in a manner that was not entirely believable or convincing to me which detracted from the story a bit. Maybe others might think differently but that’s just my opinion. Overall, the rollercoaster this story takes you on combined with the mostly great artwork makes this a very exciting read. I’ll jump right into Volume 2. Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

After reading some more albums of Tintin, I started the fourth volume of Blueberry, that collects albums 10 to 12 of this glorious western

"The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I've been on a bit of a Brubaker/Phillips binge and read Reckless, Pulp (again) and Criminal: Coward (again) recently. I'm going to work my way through the Criminal TPBs now that I have them all.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Thorgal Integral 2; it collects albums 5 to 8 of this amalgam of genres, one of my favorites comics nowadays

"The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Finally finished ex machine, now onto the Gotham Central omni

Just started Lucifer omnibus 2.

Read 'Mercy' by Mirka Andolfo, what an absolutely beautiful book. The colours, so beautiful! I read the first two issues when they were released but I rarely pick up floppies and decided to pre-order the TPB. I cannot recommend this enough. Plus, the live action trailer was a nice touch

Also, reading through the first GA WW omnibus. I think the thing that I'm enjoying here (aside from WW, obviously) is that every issue is a self contained story, so it's really good for me right now where I regularly am reading one issue every 2-3 days. I'm assuming that most GA comics are like that?
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Currently reading Avengers/X-Men: Onslaught Complete edition vol. 1 and 2. While I read an abridged version of this backin the 90's, and thus am already perfectly familiar with the overall story arc, I've never read the saga in its entirety before. The overall story, with issues from X-Men, Fantastic Four and Avengers, is pretty solid - but most of the rest of the tie-ins are ranging from mediocre to terrible. X-Force, X-Factor, X-Man, Cable, Hulk, Spider-Man, Green Goblin, etc... very inconsistent writing and artwork, feels very disjointed and irrelevant for the most part. Heck, I wasn't even aware of the existance of this (terrible) version of The Green Goblin and him having his own title!

So yeah... even know the storyline is not even done with vol. 2 (with a third on the way), I can tell that they could have made it just 1 volume and cut away all the fluff. Would have made for a better experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    Currently reading Avengers/X-Men: Onslaught Complete edition vol. 1 and 2. While I read an abridged version of this backin the 90's, and thus am already perfectly familiar with the overall story arc, I've never read the saga in its entirety before. The overall story, with issues from X-Men, Fantastic Four and Avengers, is pretty solid - but most of the rest of the tie-ins are ranging from mediocre to terrible. X-Force, X-Factor, X-Man, Cable, Hulk, Spider-Man, Green Goblin, etc... very inconsistent writing and artwork, feels very disjointed and irrelevant for the most part. Heck, I wasn't even aware of the existance of this (terrible) version of The Green Goblin and him having his own title!

So yeah... even know the storyline is not even done with vol. 2 (with a third on the way), I can tell that they could have made it just 1 volume and cut away all the fluff. Would have made for a better experience.
    That Green Goblin was born out of the infamous 90s Clone Saga. The character, Phil Urich, was pretty regular in the Spider-Man titles under Slott as a new incarnation of the Hobgoblin (this time as a villain). I don't know who decided that it was a good idea to take the hellish image of the Green Goblin and make him a hero. I guess the creative teams of that era concluded that, without Harry as an option, and with Jason Macendale as the Hobgoblin, a second evil goblin would be redundant. They had no idea of what the franchise had in stores for the goblin legacy
    Last edited by Chubistian; 01-07-2021 at 08:53 AM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post

Truer words were never spoken!

Marvel wasn't doing so well in the mid 90's, and the-powers-that-be pretty much forced what would have normally been an X-crossover onto all of the other offices - since it was the most profitable franchise - and made Onslaught a line wide debacle. If you were just reading the X-Men books you were fine, but for the rest of the MU, it was a crappy way to end their long running original titles right before replacing them with the "Heroes Reborn" nightmare.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The Flash: Savage Velocity
    Not even close to some of my favorite Flash stories but the art by Jackson Guice is pretty good.
    DS.jpg

I needed something completely different after Onslaught, so I jumped on Amazing Spider-Man by J. Michael Straczynski Omnibus Vol. 2. This is the first Spider-Man I've ever read from this time period, and although I've read Civil War before and know about "One More Day", there's still a lot of surprises in here. Some good, some bad. There are quite a lot of highs, but some very grim lows so far as well. Eager to see if there will at least be a good payoff to some of the crap set in motion...