Page 175 of 220 FirstFirst ... 75125165171172173174175176177178179185 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,625 of 3287
    Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I have also been reading Criminal, re-reading really and it finally hit me how good these books are. I read Deluxe Edition volume 3, and I had most of it in the original oversized and I guess undersized collections. They hit so hard! I feel like standing up and applauding by the end of each story. They read like great gangster movies and 70s noir. I finally get all the connections and recognize the characters. This book fits together all the pieces like Gaiman’s Sandman or Watchmen. Sin City and 100 Bullets are obvious comparisons but Criminal is less cartoonish or outlandish. It’s closer to Stray Bullets. Good stuff and the one shot formats are so neat.

Actually I just checked Bad Weekend and My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies. They are standard size books, about the size of a comic. I imagined they were the size of the Parker books by Darwyn Cooke. (Also great reads!)
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 07-08-2021 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Misinformation of the highest degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Fun home (Alison Bechdel)
    My lesbian experience with loneliness (Nagata Kabi)

An American graphic novel and a manga, both dealing with mental health issues and being a lesbian. Fun home focuses more on Bechdel's relationship with her family, especially her dad, while Kabi's book is more introspective and therapeutic .
    Both books are sometimes uncomfortably honest and I would highly recommend them. Also already ordered the sequels to MLEWL and really curious where they will go.

Boys run the riot v1: manga about a trans boy and a "delinquent" kid becoming friends and starting a street fashion brand. Really good so far!
    We were chatting about MEWL in a Near Mint Condition stream. Pretty good reviews all around [/QUOTE]

which stream? I usually only watch the ones with Maddie cause I'm mostly interested in books she talks about.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    I enjoyed the Nameless City series. Give the first volume a shot.
    It's a teens band together to stop the adults from warring and let's put aside our differences type thing that you see in young adult books. But I thought it was well done.
    ordered the first volume like 2 days ago cause I found it for dirt cheap so will see soon ( I fully expect liking it, sounds like my cuppa).

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    We were chatting about MEWL in a Near Mint Condition stream. Pretty good reviews all around
    which stream? I usually only watch the ones with Maddie cause I'm mostly interested in books she talks about.[/QUOTE]

They (Omar and Melanie) do a weekly Saturday stream, just general chit chat
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    which stream? I usually only watch the ones with Maddie cause I'm mostly interested in books she talks about.
    They (Omar and Melanie) do a weekly Saturday stream, just general chit chat [/QUOTE]

ah okay, I watch that sometimes, depends on if I'm in the mood for a lot of superhero talk

Just finished Usagi Yojimbo Saga Vol. 4 and now am reading the Ultimate Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Collection Vol. 2 featuring the original Eastman/Laird Turtles material.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Just finished Usagi Yojimbo Saga Vol. 4 and now am reading the Ultimate Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Collection Vol. 2 featuring the original Eastman/Laird Turtles material.

-M
    I'm reading Usagi Yojimbo Saga #9.

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    I'm reading Usagi Yojimbo Saga #9.
    I'll get there sometime later this year.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Incredible Member

Currently reading the X-Men Revolution Omnibus by Chris Claremont. I've read so many negative comments I guess I went in with zero expectations and halfway through, I actually don't think it's so bad. It is certainly not worse than some of the stories that came before. Of course it's entirely possible that it will become a train wreck in the second half of the book

Iron man omnibus by Kurt Busiek. Enjoying this so far. Just finished the 'Live Kree or die...' mini.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    Iron man omnibus by Kurt Busiek. Enjoying this so far. Just finished the 'Live Kree or die...' mini.
    I enjoyed that omnibus - I read it together with his Avengers run, which made for a nice experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    I enjoyed that omnibus - I read it together with his Avengers run, which made for a nice experience.
    Oh, I believe you. I'm reading it as a stand alone. And that's not a problem. It's a good read!

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

The Madmaniverse Library Volume One. This has been a super re-read. The art is gorgeous from day 1 and Madman still feels modern and ahead of the moment. Especially the main character and his constant self exploration. Also finished Barry Windsor Smiths Monsters book. It’s gorgeous to read and I am surprised how much he reminds me of Greg Capullo at times. Brutal stuff about domestic abuse disguised as an Incredible Hulk origin.

Incredible Member

X-Men: Eve of Destruction OHC - just started with a Magneto-centric miniseries. Off to a good start . This is the final oversized collection of X-Men / Uncanny X-Men before Grant Morrison takes over (can't wait to read his run).

This means that this year I have read most of the 90s X-Men/Uncanny X-Men stuff:

- X-Force Omnibus
    - X-Cutioner's Song OHC
    - Deadpool & X-Force Omnibus
    - X-Men Shattershot OHC
    - X-Men Fatal Attractions OHC
    - Wedding of Cyclops & Phoenix OHC
    - Cable & X-Force Omnibus
    - Phalanx Covenant OHC
    - Legionquest OHC
    - Age of Apocalypse Omnibus (this was a re-read for me)
    - Road to Onslaught Omnibus (custom omnibus collecting the three Road to... TPBs)
    - Onslaught Omnibus
    - The Trial of Gambit Custom Omnibus (includes Onslaught aftermath and Trial of Gambit TPBs)
    - X-Men Operation Zero Tolerance OHC
    - X-Men Blue TPB
    - X-Men Gold TPB
    - X-Men The Hunt for Professor X TPB
    - Magneto War TPB
    - X-Men vs Apocalypse: The Twelve Omnibus
    - X-Men Revolution Omnibus

When I'm done with Eve of Destruction, I think I will take a break from X-Men

I'm doing a nineties 're read of batman. Bane just broke the bat. I think I will go right through to war games. I just 're read Morrison's run so after war games I'll take a break from batman. Knight fall so far is better than I remember when I read it back in the 2000's. I'm enjoying these 25th trade paperbacks. I do wish contagion/legacy/cataclysm/road/no man's land would get new printings because finding a copy of cataclysm is impossible.