Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6465253545556

My delivery of the Star Wars Volume 2 OHC arrived today, and that's what I'm reading now
    Currently Pulling: Amazing Spider-man, Black Hammer: Age of Doom, Black Hammer: The Quantum Age, Farmhand, Gideon Falls, Infinite Dark, Babyteeth

I want to lie shipwrecked and comatose, drinking fresh mango juice. Goldfish shoals nibbling at my toes. Fun, fun, fun in the sun, sun, sun.

To chime in on the Star Wars talk, I liked the Gillen Darth Vader series a lot. Picked up the Doctor Aphra hardcover a couple of weeks ago, but haven't read it yet. I read the first tpb of the Star Wars book a while back and thought it was ok. I've been considering getting the hardcovers for a while but recently I've seen some previews of some more current issues and the art looks terrible. Larocca wasn't great in the Vader book, it was ok for the most part, but now it looks like he's taken photo referencing to a whole new level. That might even be kind from some of the panels I've seen, some of it looks like they pasted film screens on and just recolored it. It sort of soured me on starting the series at all.

Has anybody read any of the current ongoing Charles Soule Darth Vader book? I know the first hardcover of it is due soon. I know it takes place at the end of Episode 3 when Anakin has just become Vader. Does he write him as the cold, confident, and calculating Vader everybody loves, or more like a still spoiled and whiny Anakin? I really don't need more whiny Anakin in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    To chime in on the Star Wars talk, I liked the Gillen Darth Vader series a lot. Picked up the Doctor Aphra hardcover a couple of weeks ago, but haven't read it yet. I read the first tpb of the Star Wars book a while back and thought it was ok. I've been considering getting the hardcovers for a while but recently I've seen some previews of some more current issues and the art looks terrible. Larocca wasn't great in the Vader book, it was ok for the most part, but now it looks like he's taken photo referencing to a whole new level. That might even be kind from some of the panels I've seen, some of it looks like they pasted film screens on and just recolored it. It sort of soured me on starting the series at all.

Has anybody read any of the current ongoing Charles Soule Darth Vader book? I know the first hardcover of it is due soon. I know it takes place at the end of Episode 3 when Anakin has just become Vader. Does he write him as the cold, confident, and calculating Vader everybody loves, or more like a still spoiled and whiny Anakin? I really don't need more whiny Anakin in my life.

Soule's Vader series has its flaws, but the premise is so enjoyable (Vader hunting down any remaining jedi) that you're able to ignore it....And Soule comes up with some interesting jedi for Vader to hunt down.

As for Vader's personality, he's cold & calculating, but not quite as confident as he is later on. It makes sense, as this is shortly after he becomes Vader in RotS. You don't get any of whiny Annie, though.

I loved the Gillen Darth Vader series. I dropped the one by Soule by the second or third issue. Just couldn't get into it, I'd say pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Soule's Vader series has its flaws, but the premise is so enjoyable (Vader hunting down any remaining jedi) that you're able to ignore it....And Soule comes up with some interesting jedi for Vader to hunt down.

As for Vader's personality, he's cold & calculating, but not quite as confident as he is later on. It makes sense, as this is shortly after he becomes Vader in RotS. You don't get any of whiny Annie, though.
    Thanks. That premise does sound fun. I'll probably get this first volume and check it out.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Started reading the Michelinie/McFarlane Amazing Spidey omni. I haven't read these stories since my teens...I'm thinking I liked these better then than now, but am still enjoying them.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    Started reading the Michelinie/McFarlane Amazing Spidey omni. I haven't read these stories since my teens...I'm thinking I liked these better then than now, but am still enjoying them.
    I just got this. Looking through it, I had more of these issues when I was younger than I remembered. Looking forward to it.

I didn't even know that there was a new Darth Vader. Any knowledge of it getting an omnibus format like Gillen's?

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I didn't even know that there was a new Darth Vader. Any knowledge of it getting an omnibus format like Gillen's?
    I asked the same question around a month ago (Can't remember which thread), and someone responded saying the newer Vader series has pretty good sales numbers so it's fairly certain an omnibus will be released.

I'm getting the basic hardcovers first, regardless, and if an omni comes out I'll give the HCs away to someone at work.

One of the best drawn and eloquently written series of the late '60s.
    The Silver Surfer:
    949655.jpg