Page 142 of 219 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152192 ... LastLast
Results 2,116 to 2,130 of 3272

I've paused my readings of Morrison's Batman, Dini's Detective, and John's GL in the appropriate spots to start my Final Crisis omnibus.

Would've liked to read more titles in the lead-up to this but money/availability are limiting factors. Regardless, I've loved this era and I'm pumped for another "crisis" that's new to me.

uhh, it's been a while but I bought a few books recently so here are short recommendations on some of them:

Fangs by Sarah Andersen: it's free online since originally it was a webcomic, super cute Halloween read, a love story between a vampire girl and a werewolf guy. Just one page vignettes about their dates and relationships. Made me laugh out loud a couple of times. For fans of Sarah's Scribbles it's highly recommended (but really for anyone who likes spooky and cute webcomics).

The times I knew I was gay: a graphic memoir about a woman's life, specifically the parts where she was trying to deal with her sexuality. One page, one panel type, simple drawings. Highly enjoyed it but not sure if I'd recommend owning it physically (the paperback feels cheap and it's a very quick read, but it's a good time).

Asterios Polyp: finally mustered up the energy to read Mazzucchelli's very highly regarded GN and yes, it is indeed very good. I was hesitant at first, older chainsmoking a-hole main character, just not the stuff I'm currently into, but it is actually a very good critique on the type of smug knowitalls he represents.
    And Mazzucchelli is a master of comicbook storytelling.

Sailor Moon eternal vol5: Every time I have a problem with the storytelling I just get more glitter thrown into my eyes, for better or worse. The cast widens, one of my favourites returns and the volume ends on a really good cliffhanger.
    The sad part is that I actually enjoy the new guardians more than the originals, mainly because they actually get characterization right out of the gate and they aren't just used for decoration. Also Haruka (Sailor Uranus) being trans (or a magical version of trans?) is very interesting for a super high profile 90s comic (in a good way. Haruka is currently probably my favourite alongside with Pluto).

Pumpkinheads: super charming Halloween romcom from Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks. This should be a Netflix movie! Highly recommended to anyone who wants a fun teen romance that takes place in a pumpkin patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    uhh, it's been a while but I bought a few books recently so here are short recommendations on some of them:

Fangs by Sarah Andersen: it's free online since originally it was a webcomic, super cute Halloween read, a love story between a vampire girl and a werewolf guy. Just one page vignettes about their dates and relationships. Made me laugh out loud a couple of times. For fans of Sarah's Scribbles it's highly recommended (but really for anyone who likes spooky and cute webcomics).

The times I knew I was gay: a graphic memoir about a woman's life, specifically the parts where she was trying to deal with her sexuality. One page, one panel type, simple drawings. Highly enjoyed it but not sure if I'd recommend owning it physically (the paperback feels cheap and it's a very quick read, but it's a good time).

Asterios Polyp: finally mustered up the energy to read Mazzucchelli's very highly regarded GN and yes, it is indeed very good. I was hesitant at first, older chainsmoking a-hole main character, just not the stuff I'm currently into, but it is actually a very good critique on the type of smug knowitalls he represents.
    And Mazzucchelli is a master of comicbook storytelling.

Sailor Moon eternal vol5: Every time I have a problem with the storytelling I just get more glitter thrown into my eyes, for better or worse. The cast widens, one of my favourites returns and the volume ends on a really good cliffhanger.
    The sad part is that I actually enjoy the new guardians more than the originals, mainly because they actually get characterization right out of the gate and they aren't just used for decoration. Also Haruka (Sailor Uranus) being trans (or a magical version of trans?) is very interesting for a super high profile 90s comic (in a good way. Haruka is currently probably my favourite alongside with Pluto).

Pumpkinheads: super charming Halloween romcom from Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks. This should be a Netflix movie! Highly recommended to anyone who wants a fun teen romance that takes place in a pumpkin patch.
    Damn, took me a looks to realise it was you. Avatar threw me way off

I'm in a no-buy situation for a while, but I might give Fangs a read. I also mean to read some holiday related comics, but it never happens!
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Damn, took me a looks to realise it was you. Avatar threw me way off

I'm in a no-buy situation for a while, but I might give Fangs a read. I also mean to read some holiday related comics, but it never happens!
    Haha yeah it was time for an avatar change
    Also I'm not super active here (posting wise) just like I'm not reading much (completely out of the superhero stuff and barely reading any image too ).
    Fangs is a good quick read and also free. If you want a cheap buy Pumpkinheads was like £7 on eBay, and I have no regrets buying it (but I'm a fan of Rainbow Rowell and romcoms to begin with)

Incredible Member

About halfway through the Irredeemable Omnibus. Liking it a lot so far.

All-New Member

I've just finished Cruel Summer by Brubaker and I'm starting the Delano run on Hellblazer TPBs

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dav85 View Post
    I've just finished Cruel Summer by Brubaker and I'm starting the Delano run on Hellblazer TPBs
    Hi, is Cruel Summer stand-alone or do I need to read Deluxe Edition 3 first? I have read Criminal Deluxe Editions 1 and 2 but nothing else so far.

Thank you

Just about to start From Hell, the coloured version

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Hi, is Cruel Summer stand-alone or do I need to read Deluxe Edition 3 first? I have read Criminal Deluxe Editions 1 and 2 but nothing else so far.

Thank you
    I just finished cruel summer and I haven’t read the 3rd volume of criminal, it uses characters from Criminal I think, but I’ll be damned if I can remember any, cruel summer works well as just a stand alone

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    I just finished cruel summer and I haven’t read the 3rd volume of criminal, it uses characters from Criminal I think, but I’ll be damned if I can remember any, cruel summer works well as just a stand alone
    Good to hear, thanks

Incredible Member

Since it's Spooktober I started reading Nailbiter the Murder Edition 1. Liking it so far (about halfway through).

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Just about to start From Hell, the coloured version
    I didn't know there is a colored version! Is it good?

Also wanted to ask - I've watched the movie with Johnny Depp (I know the graphic novel is supposed to be much better), is the graphic novel different from the story in the movie? As in: I already know the plot and the identity of Jack from the movie, is it exactly the same in the novel?
    Last edited by hyped78; 10-29-2020 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    I didn't know there is a colored version! Is it good?

Also wanted to ask - I've watched the movie with Johnny Depp (I know the graphic novel is supposed to be much better), is the graphic novel different from the story in the movie? As in: I already know the plot and the identity of Jack from the movie, is it exactly the same in the novel?
    Im not a fan of black and white work so I much prefer the coloured version, it’s been a while since I watched the film but I’m pretty sure the killer is the same, but apart from that the book and the film are nothing alike, for one thing Heather Graham is far too attractive to be a Victorian whore

I'm FINALLY reading my Fantastic Four vol 1 (Silver Age) omnibus!! My plan is to read a few issues each night and churn through this to get to vols 2+3.
    I'm a little over 1/3rd through it. I have to admit, while silver age can be a 'chore' to get through sometimes, this stuff is great.

The non-stop bickering gets on your nerves after awhile. And I thought it was interesting at the beginning, first 8ish issues, where everyone called Ben "Thing". I mean, c'mon, you've all known him for years, especially Reed, call him BEN. They obviously all do this now and have for a long time. One of those "get your footing" things from Stan's writing, I'm sure. And remember this was written for kids, hence calling him by his "super hero name" I suppose.

As with all silver age, especially Marvel, it's interesting the pandering about women and (of course) Communism!! Specifically here related to the Red Ghost, but really it's all over the place in early Iron Man stories.

Anyways, I'm enjoying things. And as time permits, which for me is about an hourish every night, I'm reading. I can't read for hours on end silver age stuff, it gets to be too much for me, but an hour or so is fine. And these stories are fun. But I'm really waiting to get to OMni vol 2 so I can read the initial Coming of Galactus story which I've never read, and all the Inhumans stuff. So great stuff ahead!
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

I like to think of it like Star Trek TNG. The first season is rough but it makes you appreciate season 2 and on more. Same thing with that limbo period between FF 20 and the galactus saga.

I do love FF annual #1