Page 97 of 99 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 1471
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Started reading Superman: Kryptonite The Deluxe Edition by Darwyn Cooke, Tim Sale & Dave Stewart. Enjoying it.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Finished Batman: The Golden Age Omnibus Volume 3, and currently reading The New Teen Titans Omnibus Volume 1.

Just finished Aliens - fire & stone and life & death, what a load of crap and a waste of a license, if they can’t make a good story out of aliens and predators, let someone else have it

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Just finished Aliens - fire & stone and life & death, what a load of crap and a waste of a license, if they can’t make a good story out of aliens and predators, let someone else have it
    I completely agree! Sold mine right away after reading it. I don't even know if I finished it.

Reading volume 2 of the Giffen/Grant Lobo collection. These are so "treasurable". Does anyone know if there's a 3rd volume on the way?
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

Tales of the Batman: Archie Goodwin.
    I like the 70's stories better then his 90's output. Manhunter was a great series.

ArchieGoodwin.jpg

Spectacular Member

Doing a big Marvel Hickman Read-A-Thon:

Secret Warriors Omnibus
    SHIELD The Human Machine
    SHIELD Architects of Forever
    Fantastic Four Omnibus 1
    Fantastic Four Omnibus 2
    Ultimate Thor
    Ultimates 1
    Ultimate Hawkeye
    Ultimates 2
    Avengers Omnibus 1
    Avengers Omnibus 2
    Secret Wars

Started yesterday and am already halfway through his Secret Warriors Omnibus. Loving it so far, can never get enough of Nick Fury and Hydra etc. This omnibus contains quite some elements that were used in the Agents of Shield TV series.

Before I finish the omnibus, I may actually read the SHIELD books in between. I heard that there are references to SHIELD in the second half of the Secret Warriors omnibus.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Just finished re-reading an old fave: Volume 1 of Secret Society of Super-Villains. Fascinating how it would change direction every few months, and not smoothly.

Started Empowered and gave up at the start of vol 2. I just didn't care.
    Read Batman Dark Victory, which I've read and liked when I've read it almost a decade ago.
    Did not like it this time, it was a slog and just not interesting at all. Also I feel like I'm over Sale's art now. It does nothing for me.
    Started Nailbiter, which after two days of trying to get into it, resulted in posting 14 Image hardcovers for sale because I've realized I can't be bothered with these.
    The art was a huge detriment to this book too, it's not bad but it just doesn't feel right for this story.

So after 3 books in a row I disliked, I've hesitantly started reading Baltimore and finished the first book in one sitting. It's not amazing but it's solid, didn't make me angry and it feels like Mignola didn't want to wow you by throwing cool stuff in your face and exposition disguised as snappy dialogue, he just tells a story and calls it a day...and that's more than fine by me.

But I think I feel less enthusiastic about comics that I've ever been in my life.
    It might just be that tv and movies caught up with the spectacle so putting crazy, out there ideas in your books is just not enough anymore?

i think you have hit the nail on the head, too many interesting TV shows out there now, the comic has got to be really good or it just becomes a slog

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    i think you have hit the nail on the head, too many interesting TV shows out there now, the comic has got to be really good or it just becomes a slog
    I think the format also need to change. So many people read in trades but the dialogue and narration always recaps everything every 20-22 pages (on Netflix you can just skip recap with a tv show) and so many time I feel the end of a storyarc coming. It doesn't feel natural as a story flow when the writer is planning a 30-50 issue run (like many image series do) but they always think in terms of issues and then 5-6 issue arcs that will eventually add up as a big story.

Obviously not every series does this and some make it work if they do.

And then on top of it the fact that I just can't be amazed by crazy ideas anymore. About a decade ago I was still amused by cyborg bears attacking the Hulk on a russian satelite but that's something that will probably happen in the next movie (or something even better already happened).

And I don't even play videogames! So I'm not even as desensitized to visuals as most people are.

I wonder if they ever do a tv show of Sunstone (or something very similar) will do book still hold up? That's probably the last thing I can think of that doesn't have an alternate media version out there.

I'm going through a reading slump myself at the moment. My monthly floppy "to read" pile is getting out of control and I've got loads of books on my shelves that I haven't read and I just stare at them trying to muster up some enthusiasm to read one of them.
    Currently Pulling: Amazing Spider-man, Daredevil, Batman/TMNT III, Black Hammer: Age of Doom, Black Hammer/Justice League, Invisible Kingdom, Tommy Gun Wizards, Farmhand, Gideon Falls, Criminal, Babyteeth

We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Incredible Member

There ARE a lot of great and interesting shows. Too many. I have read some really good stuff lately though. I just read Batman by Brian Azzarello/Risso. Really really good. Felt like an interesting take on Batman. An entire run of Batman like this would be great. Also reading the first Conan Omnibus which I am loving. Having recently gone partially digital, I have cut down on my physical purchases and am able to weed out some purchases. I was keeping up with some of the rebirth runs in deluxe form but stopped after those runs stopped.
    Re-capping well is almost an art form in itself. Not everyone does it well.

Curently i am re-reading Swamp Thing by Alan Moore Vol.1 in TPB.Read the stories waaay back and its my most current read.
    Before that i re-read two Hardcover editions of Spider-Man stories,my Spider-Man collection of comic books its the one i am trying first to complete.But i am not a completist so i am just getting the stories that i think are really good.

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    There ARE a lot of great and interesting shows. Too many. I have read some really good stuff lately though. I just read Batman by Brian Azzarello/Risso. Really really good. Felt like an interesting take on Batman. An entire run of Batman like this would be great. Also reading the first Conan Omnibus which I am loving. Having recently gone partially digital, I have cut down on my physical purchases and am able to weed out some purchases. I was keeping up with some of the rebirth runs in deluxe form but stopped after those runs stopped.
    Re-capping well is almost an art form in itself. Not everyone does it well.
    Just to give some context: the only shows I've watched recently were Mindhunter, Glow and Kim's convenience.
    So none of them are exactly high concept.
    My movie diet is mixed, depending on what's coming out but other than Scary stories...none of them were very spectacle driven. I'm also watching loads of old samurai movies.

So it's not like I got overwhelmed by superhero/high concept action movies and shows.
    Digital is great btw, out of the three series I've mentioned above, two I've read on my tablet (thank Satan for that, I don't have to bother selling them).

Maybe I just need a longer break from comics.