Page 124 of 219 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 3272

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    As for Final Crisis, well, if you aren't an expert in the DCU, good luck. It is dense and if you aren't familiar with a ton of DC (especially Kirby's Fourth World work) it probably won't do much for you. I adore Final Crisis, but I know DC comics well and love Morrison, but it's very divisive.
    Kirby's what now? Sounds like I'll have a rough time with Final Crisis haha. Oh well.

After getting Flashpoint last year, I got an itch to try more of DC's big events. Flashpoint was great, even as a reader not knowing much about the heroes and villains outside Superman and Batman (and partially Justice League) lore. I got Blackest Night and Brightest Day as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    Kirby's what now? Sounds like I'll have a rough time with Final Crisis haha. Oh well.

After getting Flashpoint last year, I got an itch to try more of DC's big events. Flashpoint was great, even as a reader not knowing much about the heroes and villains outside Superman and Batman (and partially Justice League) lore. I got Blackest Night and Brightest Day as well.
    Jack Kirby’s Fourth World books deal with Apokalips and New Genesis, Darkseid, etc. You may know some of the characters from Superman or Justice League books. I remember I first tried Final Crisis when all I really knew were Batman comics and boy was it a mess for me. Years (and thousands of comics) later, I tried again and yowza. I love it. Thankfully, most editions include the more necessary tie-in books now (Superman Beyond, Submit, a couple of Batman issues) as part of the collections. If nothing else, maybe it and IC will inspire you to get deeper into DC lore

The Crisis events do tend to rely heavily on knowledge of the DCU, whereas other events, such as Flashpoint or Blackest Night, are more localized to certain characters. Blackest Night (which really needs the Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps books too, fair warning!) is all about the Lantern Corps for example, and the tie-ins tend to be unnecessary but can be fun depending on the creators and how they handle the premise, so I bet you dig that one.

I just finished reading "Infinite Crisis" for the first time. It was... confusing to me. I only read the main series, and felt that I missed out on many plot details by not having access to the tie-ins. I really hate it when cross-overs are constructed that way.

Now I've always been more of a Marvel guy than a DC guy, but did collect both Superman and Batman when I was younger - and thought that I had a decent grip on the DC Universe. But man was I introduced to a horde of characters that I've never seen or heard of before! Which, of course, is no fault but my own. But a bunch of heroes and villains getting killed of just doesn't hold the same gravity when they are completely unknown entities, all of them (well, except that one "big one"). Overall, the storyline had some good moments - but ultimately fell a bit flat to me and didn't live up to the hype.

Here's hoping that Final Crisis will impress me more, as I recently bought that one as well...
    Everything what Dick said and also...
    I've read Infinite Crisis fairly early into my DC dive (like a good 10-11 years ago) but I've read all the tie ins too.
    I completely agree with you that tie ins and any other necessary extra reading material kills big events (and superhero comics in general) BUUUUUT.... Infinite crisis is the one where I would argue it was constructed really well, and if you just read the material collected in the omnibus (don't need to own the omnibus, just follow the reading order) it feels like a coordinated effort and it's one of the best examples of big events.

I would absolutely DO NOT recommend Final crisis right now, I think you need more DC knowledge and maybe read some wackier Grant Morrison books to see if you like that style, otherwise you will end up absolutely hating it.

Instead I would recommend the follow up series to Infinite crisis: 52. It was a weekly series, running for a year, dealing with the aftermath of IC and I think it's an easier read than IC was. Also it's very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    Jack Kirby’s Fourth World books deal with Apokalips and New Genesis, Darkseid, etc. You may know some of the characters from Superman or Justice League books.
    Yeah I'm familiar with Darkseid, Apokolips, New Gods and such - mostly in connection with Superman stories.

I remember I first tried Final Crisis when all I really knew were Batman comics and boy was it a mess for me. Years (and thousands of comics) later, I tried again and yowza. I love it. Thankfully, most editions include the more necessary tie-in books now (Superman Beyond, Submit, a couple of Batman issues) as part of the collections. If nothing else, maybe it and IC will inspire you to get deeper into DC lore
    I've mostly delved into "known territory" in regards to DC, starting by getting the full Death of Superman/Reign of Supermen story arc which I held very fondly growing up - but lately, I've sampled some newer DC as well (newer than the 90's, at least). Hush was pretty good and I got the first 3 volumes of the New 52 Justice League series as well, which was enjoyable as well (though I would have preferred Jim Lee to stay on).

The Crisis events do tend to rely heavily on knowledge of the DCU, whereas other events, such as Flashpoint or Blackest Night, are more localized to certain characters. Blackest Night (which really needs the Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps books too, fair warning!) is all about the Lantern Corps for example, and the tie-ins tend to be unnecessary but can be fun depending on the creators and how they handle the premise, so I bet you dig that one.
    Perhaps I should look into getting the Green Lantern tie ins before reading it, then. Green Lantern was always one of my favorite DC characters as a child, though I've actually only ever read one solo story with him (mostly because in my country, it was rare to see anything but Superman and Batman released from DC).

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Everything what Dick said and also...
    I've read Infinite Crisis fairly early into my DC dive (like a good 10-11 years ago) but I've read all the tie ins too.
    I completely agree with you that tie ins and any other necessary extra reading material kills big events (and superhero comics in general) BUUUUUT.... Infinite crisis is the one where I would argue it was constructed really well, and if you just read the material collected in the omnibus (don't need to own the omnibus, just follow the reading order) it feels like a coordinated effort and it's one of the best examples of big events.
    I only had the event itself, not the omnibus - so I felt I was missing out on a great deal. Some characters are briefly seen at one point, only to disappear and re-emerge near the end - where you get the impression that a lot has happened with them. And the stuff with the Flashes and Superboy in particular confused me.

I would absolutely DO NOT recommend Final crisis right now, I think you need more DC knowledge and maybe read some wackier Grant Morrison books to see if you like that style, otherwise you will end up absolutely hating it.

Instead I would recommend the follow up series to Infinite crisis: 52. It was a weekly series, running for a year, dealing with the aftermath of IC and I think it's an easier read than IC was. Also it's very good.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll hold off on Final Crisis a bit then.

I only had the event itself, not the omnibus - so I felt I was missing out on a great deal. Some characters are briefly seen at one point, only to disappear and re-emerge near the end - where you get the impression that a lot has happened with them. And the stuff with the Flashes and Superboy in particular confused me.
    If you ever want to reread it I think you can still get the tie in tpbs for dirt cheap. I think I've bought them for like £4 each a year or two ago.

Currently rereading Green Lantern Vol. 1 : No Fear. This was my introduction to Hal Jordan and what made me such a huge fan of the character. I'm glad I started here and not with the mini-series, Green Lantern : Rebirth, as that didn't leave much of an impression on me.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    It's been a while since I read it. Let me know what you think of it
    So far really enjoying the Ex Machina and it still really holds up. K Vaughan balances arguments really well, the sci-fi is cool & Harris’ art is perfect for the story.
    Nice to read it back, knowing where we end up in the end. If you haven’t read before I’ll try and avoid spoilers, but it’s interesting seeing Mitchell Hundred (main character) making decisions - start to wonder if it’s for the reasons initially suggested or for his own agenda.

Spectacular Member

Hey guys. Got a Conan question especially for people familiar with all the Dark Horse material. So looks like Marvel will cover almost the entirety of the material collected in the seven Dark Horse omnis with the first six epics with the exception of Conan the Avenger 1-25 which I imagine will be collected in a yet to be announced epic (or two). My understanding is that the Dark Horse omnis collected the Colossal Conan and Colossal Conan the Cinmerian. My question is was Colossal King Conan collected in those omnis? I’m thinking it wasn’t which means Marvel might not be collecting King Conan 1-24. If someone could clarify this for me, it would be greatly appreciated. I’m wondering whether the Colossal King Conan is my only option for collecting that material.

West Coast Avengers by Kelly Thompson: basically the continuation of Thompson's super fun Kate Bishop Hawkeye series. Fun cast, fun adventures and fun personal relationship stuff with consistently good art. It's just a lot of fun and I loved it and curse the universe for not letting this title go longer.
    Thompson seemingly has this ability to write fresh and accessible mainstream comics, I bet there are people who think her stuff is too hipster and millennial but for someone who really couldn't be bothered with "superhero plot upon superhero plot" type of stories anymore, this is exactly how I prefer my comics these days .
    Also, move aside Baby Yoda! Jeff the baby landshark is here! (seriously, he is adorable)

Rogue and Gambit/Mr and Mrs X: less good than WCA, probably because it's just impossible to write X-men in a new and different way at this point, unless you are Hickman and allowed to reboot the whole franchise basically.
    The first mini felt a bit drawn out but Thompson did a good job of catching you up on the character's history (never been a Gambit fan but based on this series I get the hype). The post wedding series (with the proposal happening inbetween series sadly) is a bit faster paced but I think there isn't much you can do with these two without going against X continuity.
    The highlight was the post wedding engagement party with all the character banter.
    Also the art was consistently good here as well (but again, less so than WCA).

Looking forward to more Kelly Thompson books but I think she is kinda like Nick Spencer, they both produce their best writing when they just write some fun adventures, disregarding continuity as much as possible and not trying to be serious.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    So far really enjoying the Ex Machina and it still really holds up. K Vaughan balances arguments really well, the sci-fi is cool & Harris’ art is perfect for the story.
    Nice to read it back, knowing where we end up in the end. If you haven’t read before I’ll try and avoid spoilers, but it’s interesting seeing Mitchell Hundred (main character) making decisions - start to wonder if it’s for the reasons initially suggested or for his own agenda.
    Thanks. I read it once when it first came out, then sold my books. If I come across them again for a good price, I'll buy them again.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Thanks. I read it once when it first came out, then sold my books. If I come across them again for a good price, I'll buy them again.
    Definitely recommend the omnibus. Nice to have it as a complete series.

All-New Member

Superior Spider-man OHC Volume 2 - it's true!

Incredible Member

Just started on the Ex Machina omnibus. This is my second Brian K Vaughn book. I have read Saga and loved it, so I am looking forward to diving into this. Starts out promising enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Just started on the Ex Machina omnibus. This is my second Brian K Vaughn book. I have read Saga and loved it, so I am looking forward to diving into this. Starts out promising enough.
    Enjoy! It’s very different to his other works, I find.
    It’s almost like Y The Last Mans dark twin

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Enjoy! It’s very different to his other works, I find.
    It’s almost like Y The Last Mans dark twin
    Thanks! I actually have the Y Absolutes on the shelf as well. Got them during a sale for a good price and now they have been waiting to be read. But first this 50 issue behemoth