Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites- I'm a sucker for anthropomorphic stories like this and Wild's End, Mouse Guard, and Blacksad. Liked it a lot. 10/10

We Stand on Guard- BKV is in my top 5 favorite comic writers. This was a brutal but uplifting book. Skroce's art is pretty good too. 8/10

Nocterra v1- It was fine. Your basic post-apocalypse wasteland story with factions and shanty towns and secrets galore. Won't be back for the second volume though; not enough different or new here. 5/10.

Monster omnibus v1-2- I can't seem to quit Urasawa. Most times his pacing works (this and 20th Century Boys); sometimes not (Asadora). This was a great opener about a murder mystery with a moral play at its heart. 9/10.

21st Century Boys- ending to Urasawa's 20th Century Boys series. Great send-off. 8/10

Nomen Omen v1- quit after 3 issues; wasn't for me. 3/10

Home Sick Pilots v1- a supernatural horror story with punk bands. Enough here to bring me back for v2. 6/10

Marvel Boy- a re-read of the Morrison/Jones mini. Good stuff but very concept heavy and the character work felt (appropriately I suppose) alien to me. I prefer Noh-Varr's further adventures in Young Avengers and GotG more though. 7/10

Legion (DnA) v1- my first ever blush with the LoSH outside of Johns' writing. Frankly I didn't take to this. I could tell it was written fine but just didn't grab me. All characters were shades of others I've read elsewhere, and early Coipel is decent but not great. 5/10

Black Panther: Man Without Fear- the David Liss/Francavilla series. Pretty good T'Challa story taking place after the terrible Shadowland. 7/10

Ever: the Way Out- Usually I like Terry Moore's work. But unless this was the first in a new series of OGNs, it was wholly unsatisfying to read and a "okay that just happened". If there's a follow-up I'd consider it, but I rather prefer his existing universe of Motor Girl, Serial, Rachel Rising, Echo, et al. 4/10
    Last edited by newparisian; 11-25-2021 at 03:45 PM.