Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

Shutter - don't really know how to slot Joe Keatinge as a writer. His Glory was a mess, but I liked Ringside. Only read the first three volumes of Shutter (though I have all 5), and it's... Ok. My mind isn't blown by any of it. The trusted patriarch turning out to be keeping secrets? Been there done that. I just don't know why I should care about this world.

That's the one thing I appreciate about BKV above all else, which is that no matter how outlandish the concept and world building, I always always care a helluva lot about his characters, and their travails are heartbreaking.

With Shutter, things feel mechanical. Kate's a photographer, but like why? How is that a defining part of who she is? I read the first issue of vol 4 and she seems to have just transitioned into it after being an explorer, just cuz? We've never seen her do any photography. I mean sure, "shutter" can have more connotations beyond a camera lens. But I guess a protagonist who just wants to have a normal life, a best friend who's all "stop being gloomy and let's go to a party", an evil society that's all "we're doing this for the good of the world, join us won't you?" is all just, as I said, been there done that.

Guess I'm just cynical in my old age; I just cannot get behind "solid" stories anymore; I need to be wowed. I guess it's my long winded way of asking: when is Saga coming back? Haha
    Last edited by newparisian; 05-10-2021 at 10:11 AM.