Page 188 of 219 FirstFirst ... 88138178184185186187188189190191192198 ... LastLast
Results 2,806 to 2,820 of 3272
    Incredible Member

WildCATS 2.0 + 3.0- been about 15 years since I'd read these. Such an excellent reinvention of a mostly superfluous title. Sad that it never got to run its course. Man, that era of Wildstorm was something else. 9/10

Northlanders v1-3- and it'd been about a decade since I'd read these. Brutal, sometimes amusing, stories of harsh people doing desperate, harsh things, with collateral damage all around. The last arc in v3, the Plague Widow, really hit home as it deals with disease and quarantine during winter, which being in the Midwest I can relate to. 10/10

Batgirl: Year One- the story of Batgirl just starting out, with excellent Marcos Martin artwork. Great companion to Robin Y1 and can be slotted into the Batman Y1 & Loeb/Sale collaborations when mapping out early Bat mythos. 9/10

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    It's been a hot minute and I have a horrible memory for details, but if I remember correctly they felt sorta dream like which made me except it more. I don't remember thinking it was the strongest metaphor ever but didn't bother me either.
    Gotcha. I'll see how Spinning and On a Sunbeam strike me. Flipping through the latter, I can already tell the small font is going to be annoying lol

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Fables Compendium vol 1- Very good read so far. It's different than the Telltale game in terms of tone and genre but I'm still loving it. The constant art change is hella annoying though. The first arc with Medina and the colorist and inker was when the book looked its best.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I just finished Three Jokers by Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok. It was way better than I thought and I didn’t know it would reference Killing Joke. This and Scott Snyder’s take on the Joker are both out there. I am also loving Grant Morrison’s Green Lantern. What if DC’s Silver Age Sci Fi universe took place in a 2000 AD magazine?

I'm currently reading the complete collection of Royal City by Jeff Lemire. I've always liked his writing and his art has grown on me now too.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Cap America by Remender omnibus, not really to my tastes

Incredible Member

Doctor Strange: Strange Origin- pretty good modern origin story by Pak/Rios. I liked it and wouldn't have minded if they'd continued putting out more OGNs in this world. 8/10

Akira- this is the classic manga. I think I prefer the movie version. It's funny that this was an almost 3000 page story but still had so many unexplained and unnecessary threads. Like Kaneda just disappears for an entire volume and then randomly shows up again without explanation. The colonel character or the army infiltrator dudes don't go anywhere. The Akira character itself is just malevolent for no reason, and then hooks back up with his other psychic cohorts in the last volume to do, something. Great action and writing, but a lot of these pages could've been used better. Still... TETSUOOOO!!!! 6/10

X-O Manowar OHC v1-2- I had liked the initial Venditti series and how it mixed in with Ninjak, Unity and all that jazz. This is the Kindt run, which I also liked. It's sort of similar to King's Omega Men in that it shows the ugly side of revolution and how usually once the "good guys" are in power they too turn into assholes. Aric's arc was good though. 7/10

Ninja-K OHC- this is the Gage run and it has some good ideas but I hate it when Ninjak mixes up with magic/Deadside aspect of Valiant. There's a good core story though about how MI-6 handles the ninjas, of which Colin is a legacy. Artwork has its ups and downs. 6/10

Imperium OHC + the Life & Death of Toyo Harada- excellent continuation and conclusion of the Harada character from Harbinger, which I'd liked but not loved. Harada was the most fascinating character from that bunch though, and the side characters introduced here by Dysart are really good. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for "heroes try to change the world for real" type stories. 9/10
    Last edited by newparisian; 01-13-2022 at 09:44 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Cap America by Remender omnibus, not really to my tastes
    What do you not like about it? Did you like Brubaker's run and are judging it in contrast to that?
    I thought Remender's run was different and a nice change of pace with the initial Romita Jr arc. I prefer Bru still, but Remender's was nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post

Starlight reread of the Millar series. Parlov is doing his best Moebius impression and the art is fantastic, though it's annoying how he signs his name to every splash page (did it in Punisher too I believe). Anyway, the story is John Carter pastiche about a dude who travels to another world and saves the people there. It's really a young-adult type story, probably the only Millar book I'd give to a young person. What I didn't like was that there wasn't any conflict or danger. The main character Duke is supposed to be old and past his prime, yet he faces zero challenges and kicks everyone's ass; doesn't have a heart attack or wheezes due to all the activity or anything like you'd expect. Overall a standard adventure story elevated by excellent art. 8/10
    6/10
    not shocked to see I agree with you again, haha. I always hear a lot of praise for this book but I never got the hype. The lack of stakes and danger just made it an empty, breezy (in a bad way) read for me. It's not horrible but it kinda just became a long action sequence at the end where the hero is invincible despite the whole premise of the book.
    I had the same problem with his Hit-girl mini as well (the one that was before Kick-ass vol3 IIRC)

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    What do you not like about it? Did you like Brubaker's run and are judging it in contrast to that?
    I thought Remender's run was different and a nice change of pace with the initial Romita Jr arc. I prefer Bru still, but Remender's was nice too.
    I love the Brubaker run and I may of been expecting more of the same, don’t really read much marvel stuff nowadays and found the change in style quite jarring

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Silver Age Justice League and The Amazing Spider-Man Volume 2, with a visit here and there to Silver Age Adam Strange, pairs surprisingly well with 90’s Rap and Grunge. Of course I did go to high school with the Ancient One on dinosaur back.

Don't really have much time to jot down my readings lately but just wanted to mention that the current Tom Taylor Nightwing run is really good! I always wanted to like Nightwing but none of his runs I've checked out before did anything for me until now.
    It feels like a mix between Hawkeye and Daredevil + some really neat Bruno Redondo art.
    I just REALLY hope it stays like this and won't do any crossovers or anything (literally it's the only main DC title I'm reading and as soon as it becomes necessary to read anything else I'm dropping it).

I'm finishing the second Lucifer omnibus!
    Long story and I really liked how the secondary characters shined more - Lucifer is all cool, but a bit too hermetic for me to empathize too much haha

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Just finished Daredevil by Bendis v1 and oh man was it amazing.

Sometimes I forget that Bendis is an amazing writer especially when it comes to street level characters.

I was also surprised to have so many issues take place in a courtroom

Enigma: The Definitive Edition
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka