Page 146 of 219 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156196 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,190 of 3277
    Spectacular Member

Finished Ostrander's Suicide Squad Vol. 1.

Went through the Eaglemoss Edition of Death of Superman over the weekend. I remember the hype of this event and reading some of it back then, but overall, it was very "lacking" to me. I thought the art was good, and the idea of each issue basically reducing the number of panels per page made it feel like everything was getting "bigger". The full page panels of the last issue seemed a bit overkill, and the fact no other "major" heroes besides the quite possibly least powerful JL roster tried to help, kind of bothered me. But I guess the same could be said for all big villain battles in solo books.

Either tonight or tomorrow I plan to start Trinity War.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Wanting to look into getting the War of Kings Omnibus Triology

OK ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to need your recommendations for a first DD run too! Straight into Miller?

I'm currently reading all of the Ultimate comics (I already have some info on which parts best forgotten, but I'm going to judge for myself ) and I have become quite intrigued by DD/Elektra.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    OK ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to need your recommendations for a first DD run too! Straight into Miller?

I'm currently reading all of the Ultimate comics (I already have some info on which parts best forgotten, but I'm going to judge for myself ) and I have become quite intrigued by DD/Elektra.
    Well I'm gonna be negative again (apologies to anyone whos favourite run I poop on)
    I do NOT like Miller's DD.

I guess it depends on your preferences and how much you are into older (lates70s and 80s) comics.
    Compared to the regular output it has a very mature tone and storytelling but coming from more modern comics (especially reading Bendis' first) it felt very uneven.
    I think it tries to be serious but it still manages to be a wacky superhero book .
    I remember enjoying the middle part, but the start was very silly, I didn't like anything to do with ninjas (again, felt silly) and the whole big Electra thing was super rushed.

On the other hand I really like Man without Fear (which flashes out the whole Electra thing and give DD the "black home made costume" origin) and of course Born again was really good.

You can start with Bendis if you want a more modern run and then go straight to Brubaker (those 2 runs are the best IMO). Shadowland is best to avoid, most people agree on that.
    Waid is polarizing, mainly because his run was a huge tonal shift. I've found it entertaining for a while when Martin and Rivera was doing art, but then I've lost interest.

Read like 20 issues of Zdarsky's (current run) and it's really good so far.
    So my recommendations would be: Man without fear and Born again from Miller.
    The short Kevin Smith run (precedes Bendis and has one important thing for continuity, not essential but not bad. The Echo story right after was horrible tho IMO).
    Bendis, Brubaker, maybe try Waid and see if you like it, Zdarsky.

As for Ultimates, I think the only good books are the first 2 Millar volumes and USM (although I've tried to re read it not that long ago and didn't last 10 issues so you know, take my opinion with a grain of salt).

Speaking of teen superheros and Marvel (cus you're reading USM). Have you read BKV's Runaways?
    If not I think you'd like that and also the current Runaways from Rainbow Rowell (I haven't read anything inbetween and I was fine and really enjoying Rowell's).

one more thing: I'm very much aware that I'm in the minority with my dislike towards Miller's DD.

Hmmmm, lot's to bear in mind for DD! I don't usually read Marvel to be honest because I much prefer DC characters, although Spider-Man, Foolkiller, X-Men and Star Wars I do enjoy. I've read the first two UXM omnibus', the SW/DV and the first bit of X-Men when Blue/Gold released. I mostly started reading some Marvel because my finances are a bit tricky and it just gives me a lot of comics/£

I started Ultimate pretty much for Spider-Man, but thought I'd pick up the others at the same time to give me a little look into some other characters. I think I actually added Runaways to my library
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

You could go straight into Miller which is actually my favourite Daredevil run and is deemed an excellent starting point by many.

If you can take a little Silver Age, for "starters", I would read the following:

The first 11 or so issues from 1964;
    Miller's original run from #165-191; 226-233;
    The Man Without Fear #1-5 by Miller & Romita Jr (this can be read before the Miller run as it's Daredevi's origin retold and how he met Elektra);
    Guardian Devil (Vol. 2 #1-8) by Smith & Quesada;
    Parts of a Hole (Vol. 2 #9-15) by Mack & Quesada;
    All of Bendis' run (Vol. 2 #16-19, 26-50, 56-81);
    All of Brubaker's run (Vol. 2 #82-119,500)
    Dark Nights #1-3 by Lee Weeks'

Afterwards you could always read other runs by Denny 0'Neill, Ann Nocenti, Mark Waid, Charles Soule and Chip Zdarsky. O'Neill's, Bendis' and Soule's are also amongst my favourite DD runs.

There's a comprehensive list of Daredevil trades here.

Any opinions of Jurgens Thor?

Im reading the first Omni and trying to decide if i wanna get the second, or sell it off.

I dig Romita Jrs art, but the story hasnt really grabbed me. It has its highlights but overall isnt very memorable. I preferred the more street-level/earth based arcs to when it got more cosmic. I hear vol2 gets a lot better, but then theres no JRJR to pull me through, so im not sure if its worth the risk...

Hmmmm, lot's to bear in mind for DD! I don't usually read Marvel to be honest because I much prefer DC characters, although Spider-Man, Foolkiller, X-Men and Star Wars I do enjoy. I've read the first two UXM omnibus', the SW/DV and the first bit of X-Men when Blue/Gold released. I mostly started reading some Marvel because my finances are a bit tricky and it just gives me a lot of comics/£

I started Ultimate pretty much for Spider-Man, but thought I'd pick up the others at the same time to give me a little look into some other characters. I think I actually added Runaways to my library
    Here are my personal Marvel picks if you want more (not sure if all are on MU but they should be) All should be accessible to a relative marvel novice and I think all are a good read (regardless of character, genre or tone):

Bendis/Brubaker DD (if you like Bendis', check out his Alias seris, it's a spin off, and it's what the Jessica Jones Netflix show was based on).
    Ms Marvel (G Willow Wilson run, haven't read anything after)
    Runaways
    Doctor strange The oath (short Brian K Vaughan run)
    Most people Enjoy Jason Aaron's Dr Strange, I kinda lost interest in it, but Donny Cate's follow up 12 issue series was a blast (just skip the event tie ins inbetween the 2 runs)
    New X-men (Grant Morrison)
    Astonishing X-men (Whedon)
    (there are not the freshest but widely accepted as the best entry level modern X-men series with good endings)
    Vision by Tom King
    Punisher Max by Ennis and then Aaron (out of continuity Punisher, regarded as the best)
    Fury Max My war gone by
    Hawkeye by Matt Fraction
    Kate Bishop Hawkeye by Kelly Thompson then continue to Thompson's West Coast Avengers (trust me, it's way better than it has any right to be.)
    Nick Spencer's Superior foes of Spider-man and Ant-man
    Silver Surfer by Dan Slott and Mike Alred
    All New Wolverine by Tom Taylor (X-23 as wolverine, fast paced, action packed, got an actual wolverine in it and an even tinier female clone of Laura )

As someone who generally prefers DC, i really enjoyed Miller, Bendis and Waids Daredevil. I dont think you can go wrong with any of them, tbh.

Mighty Member

Yes, just jump into Miller's first run. You don't need to read anything before it if you don't want, but it's hard to overstate how foundational that run is to every good run after.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

I started with Bendis and Brubakers run and then moved back to Frank Millers.

All 3 are great, though. You can’t go wrong whichever you pick

Thanks as always. Looks like I've got some great reading ahead of me! I quite enjoy silver age, actually. I have my first golden age (WW, but V2 because I'm getting V1 for Christmas haha) waiting to be read, so that should be an experience

Thanks as always. Looks like I've got some great reading ahead of me! I quite enjoy silver age, actually. I have my first golden age (WW, but V2 because I'm getting V1 for Christmas haha) waiting to be read, so that should be an experience
    oh, for some reason I thought you are more of a modern reader dunno why, my bad
    In that case I would also recommend Michelinie and definitely the Dennis O'neill Iron man runs too :P

Would you guys suggest Superior Foes of Spider-Man?
    I’ve heard good things and I enjoyed Spencer’s Ant-Man run (not the best thing I’ve ever read but it was still entertaining) - is it more of less the exact same kind of thing or?