Page 55 of 219 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I'm now reading Shipwreck from Aftershock comics. I read the first few issues in floppy format but I've got no idea how it ends.

Shipwreck's a good book, but I found the ending somewhat underwhelming. It'll be interesting to read your thoughts on the book after you finish it.

Got about 2 issues into the latest Quantum and Woody deluxe, had to leave it, awful, awful stuff

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I finished the Star Wars: Obi-Wan and Anakin TPB earlier. I quite liked it. To carry on the Star Wars kick I'm on at the moment, I'm re-reading my Star Wars Volume 1 OHC in preparation for volume 2, which is on it's way to me.
    I thought that it was ok, but not exceptional. I really enjoyed the standard Star War though, have fun with it! Also check out the Darth Vader omnibus if you haven't got that either.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Just finished the Daredevil by Miller/Janson omnibus and it was really great. Did not expect it to be this good, especially because it is quite an old run. Some things were dated, sure, but overall it was very modern.

Liked it so much I immediately moved on to the Companion omnibus.
    Currently on the Daredevil Companion Omnibus. More great stuff. The Born Again storyline is fantastic. Although I have to say that I prefer janson's pencils (and Miller's) to Mazzuchelli's. His look quite rough at times, with not much detail. But the story was so great I didn't really care.

Also noticed again that if the story is great, I don't care if it's old school art (by that I mean colouring)

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Currently on the Daredevil Companion Omnibus. More great stuff. The Born Again storyline is fantastic. Although I have to say that I prefer janson's pencils (and Miller's) to Mazzuchelli's. His look quite rough at times, with not much detail. But the story was so great I didn't really care.

Also noticed again that if the story is great, I don't care if it's old school art (by that I mean colouring)
    Yes, absolutely, all good stuff. I also prefer Miler's and Janson's artwork although Mazzucchelli comes a close second with regards to Daredevil artists.

Miller would do the original "sketchy" artwork and Janson would finish it off. I think that's why Janson was deemed the artist and the art really never changed much from when Miller would be billed as the artist. Of course, Janson's inking was ecxellent. If you look at later Daredevil issues when Miller was no longer writing Daredevil and Janson was drawing and inking, the art and layouts were decidedly different.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Shipwreck's a good book, but I found the ending somewhat underwhelming. It'll be interesting to read your thoughts on the book after you finish it.
    I finished it yesterday. I agree with you. It all seemed a bit too predictable for me. I was expecting to be left with a thought provoking finale based on what I'd read in the first 5 issues but it somewhat let me down. Loved Hester's art though and I'd still recommend the book to anyone who hasn't read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I thought that it was ok, but not exceptional. I really enjoyed the standard Star War though, have fun with it! Also check out the Darth Vader omnibus if you haven't got that either.
    I liked the flashbacks to Anakin and Palpatine and the overall story wasn't bad. I'd heard it wasn't very good but it was better than I expected it to be.

I've got the OHCs of Gillen's Vader. I thoroughly enjoyed those. I'd say it just pips Aaron's Star Wars in this new Marvel era but I've only read the first OHC of Star Wars, so that could change.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

My delivery of the Star Wars Volume 2 OHC arrived today, and that's what I'm reading now
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

To chime in on the Star Wars talk, I liked the Gillen Darth Vader series a lot. Picked up the Doctor Aphra hardcover a couple of weeks ago, but haven't read it yet. I read the first tpb of the Star Wars book a while back and thought it was ok. I've been considering getting the hardcovers for a while but recently I've seen some previews of some more current issues and the art looks terrible. Larocca wasn't great in the Vader book, it was ok for the most part, but now it looks like he's taken photo referencing to a whole new level. That might even be kind from some of the panels I've seen, some of it looks like they pasted film screens on and just recolored it. It sort of soured me on starting the series at all.

Has anybody read any of the current ongoing Charles Soule Darth Vader book? I know the first hardcover of it is due soon. I know it takes place at the end of Episode 3 when Anakin has just become Vader. Does he write him as the cold, confident, and calculating Vader everybody loves, or more like a still spoiled and whiny Anakin? I really don't need more whiny Anakin in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    To chime in on the Star Wars talk, I liked the Gillen Darth Vader series a lot. Picked up the Doctor Aphra hardcover a couple of weeks ago, but haven't read it yet. I read the first tpb of the Star Wars book a while back and thought it was ok. I've been considering getting the hardcovers for a while but recently I've seen some previews of some more current issues and the art looks terrible. Larocca wasn't great in the Vader book, it was ok for the most part, but now it looks like he's taken photo referencing to a whole new level. That might even be kind from some of the panels I've seen, some of it looks like they pasted film screens on and just recolored it. It sort of soured me on starting the series at all.

Has anybody read any of the current ongoing Charles Soule Darth Vader book? I know the first hardcover of it is due soon. I know it takes place at the end of Episode 3 when Anakin has just become Vader. Does he write him as the cold, confident, and calculating Vader everybody loves, or more like a still spoiled and whiny Anakin? I really don't need more whiny Anakin in my life.

Soule's Vader series has its flaws, but the premise is so enjoyable (Vader hunting down any remaining jedi) that you're able to ignore it....And Soule comes up with some interesting jedi for Vader to hunt down.

As for Vader's personality, he's cold & calculating, but not quite as confident as he is later on. It makes sense, as this is shortly after he becomes Vader in RotS. You don't get any of whiny Annie, though.

I loved the Gillen Darth Vader series. I dropped the one by Soule by the second or third issue. Just couldn't get into it, I'd say pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Soule's Vader series has its flaws, but the premise is so enjoyable (Vader hunting down any remaining jedi) that you're able to ignore it....And Soule comes up with some interesting jedi for Vader to hunt down.

As for Vader's personality, he's cold & calculating, but not quite as confident as he is later on. It makes sense, as this is shortly after he becomes Vader in RotS. You don't get any of whiny Annie, though.
    Thanks. That premise does sound fun. I'll probably get this first volume and check it out.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Started reading the Michelinie/McFarlane Amazing Spidey omni. I haven't read these stories since my teens...I'm thinking I liked these better then than now, but am still enjoying them.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    Started reading the Michelinie/McFarlane Amazing Spidey omni. I haven't read these stories since my teens...I'm thinking I liked these better then than now, but am still enjoying them.
    I just got this. Looking through it, I had more of these issues when I was younger than I remembered. Looking forward to it.

I didn't even know that there was a new Darth Vader. Any knowledge of it getting an omnibus format like Gillen's?
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I didn't even know that there was a new Darth Vader. Any knowledge of it getting an omnibus format like Gillen's?
    I asked the same question around a month ago (Can't remember which thread), and someone responded saying the newer Vader series has pretty good sales numbers so it's fairly certain an omnibus will be released.

I'm getting the basic hardcovers first, regardless, and if an omni comes out I'll give the HCs away to someone at work.