Page 167 of 220 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177217 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 3287

Got my Thunderbolts omnibus today and just a few pages in I am reminded of how much and why I loved this series so much.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Negation v1-4- the Crossgen re-read continues with one of its only series worth a damn. Great sci-fi book that sadly never got a proper ending. Great characters and twists. Recommended. 8 out of 10.
    I just pulled a bunch of CrossGen stuff out of storage to start re-reading (hopefully this weekend!). And yeah, I don't think many of their books got a proper ending unfortunately...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I just pulled a bunch of CrossGen stuff out of storage to start re-reading (hopefully this weekend!). And yeah, I don't think many of their books got a proper ending unfortunately...
    Well none of them did

Y'know, if Marvel wanted to do a Crossgen cinematic universe, the Negation movie would have to be their Avengers, where all the sigil bearers get together to fight Charon. At the end of N1, they can escape to our universe and slowly assemble the mainline heroes (Scion, Mystic, etc.) for N2: Endgame haha

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    The Wake- fantastic, amazing Sean Murphy art. Great story but which ends in gobbledygook. Still, recommended for horror/adventure fans. 7 out of 10.

Negation v1-4- the Crossgen re-read continues with one of its only series worth a damn. Great sci-fi book that sadly never got a proper ending. Great characters and twists. Recommended. 8 out of 10.
    I have my Negation issues all packed away together for a custom bind, so should have that in about five years
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Spectacular Member

Got the first Legends of The Dark Knight hardcover so I can soak up all kinds of Jim Aparo goodness. Awaiting the 3rd B &B omnibus as well.

Took a break from reading chronological X-Men and read Mutant X The Complete Collections. I never heard of this series untill Uncanny Omar mentioned it in a video, but bought it as the premise was right up my alley. Who doesn't love a good alt-reality story?

Overall, it was a fun read. It has an interesting premise and a lot of cool, altered backstories for known characters. As with all alt-reality stories, they sometimes go a bit overboars - but that's pretty much the name of the game. I do find it a big shame however that the big bad, who in this reality even took out (and sort of replaced) the Phoenix force, is so damn silly and should never be elevated to such a big threat. I understand fully why they did it, as it was easy to shoehorn into the bigger Summers narrative, but it really didn't work for me.

Most of the artwork was pretty good, without ever being great, and felt really consistent throughout the series. A nice touch.

Overall, a fun premise and a good ride - but a silly main threst and a storyline that weakened with time and ultimately fizzled out.

Onwards to Incredible Hulk by Jason Aaron. A fun and silly read - sometimes too fun and silly. In typical Aaron fashion, there's a lot of outrageous over the top villains and supporting characters (which I wouldn't complain if he had dialed down a bit). I don't approve of all plot devices used here, but I really enjoyed the fresh take on the classic Banner vs. Hulk feud (even though the resolution could have been better). Most of the art was good and it was especially a pleasure to see Marc Silvestri again. All in all a better read that I had expected, I was well entertained.

Incredible Member

Superman- Up in the Sky- the Best Superman story since All Star. 10 out of 10

Blade of the Immortal omnibus v1-5- this is the only manga I've read aside from Akira. There are still 5 more volumes left, but so far it's fantastic! Highly recommended. 9 out of 10 (because the action is muddy sometimes)

Incredible Member

Just finished Onslaught and will likely continue my pre-Morrison X-men readathon and start on my X-Men: Trial of Gambit Custom Omnibus tonight. It collects most of the content from the Onslaught Aftermath and Trial of Gambit TPBs (missing a couple of X-Men unlimited issues).

Also just ordered the TPBs that were still missing in my collection (X-Men Blue, X-Men Gold and Magneto War). The Hunt for Professor X seems impossible to find for a decent price. If I cannot locate it, I will read a synopsis online.

I couldn't find a web comics thread, but this has been collected in three TPB through Kickstarter, so it counts

Anyway, 'O Human Star', which is still available in web comic format. I read it in two sittings and it is absolutely beautiful, art and story.

Essentially, this person kickstarts the robot revolution and then dies prior to it kicking off properly. He 'wakes up' 16 years later as a robot version of himself. He goes looking for his old partner (Breandan) to figure out what's going on, and also meets Breandan's daughter. There is a strong LGBT theme in it too. This has instantly gone into my top 5 favourite books, and I really want a nice HC collected version to be released. Hopefully Blue Delliquanti can get it published somewhere, or they kickstart a HC edition. Either way, the TPBs are available on the website.

Gosh, I just loved this so much haha
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I couldn't find a web comics thread, but this has been collected in three TPB through Kickstarter, so it counts

Anyway, 'O Human Star', which is still available in web comic format. I read it in two sittings and it is absolutely beautiful, art and story.

Essentially, this person kickstarts the robot revolution and then dies prior to it kicking off properly. He 'wakes up' 16 years later as a robot version of himself. He goes looking for his old partner (Breandan) to figure out what's going on, and also meets Breandan's daughter. There is a strong LGBT theme in it too. This has instantly gone into my top 5 favourite books, and I really want a nice HC collected version to be released. Hopefully Blue Delliquanti can get it published somewhere, or they kickstart a HC edition. Either way, the TPBs are available on the website.

Gosh, I just loved this so much haha
    this is on my short list to read and I also really want them to manage to distribute the physical versions over here too (I think they only ship withing the US).

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    this is on my short list to read and I also really want them to manage to distribute the physical versions over here too (I think they only ship withing the US).
    Yep, just US. That's the only reason I didn't get them, it's just too much to ship

City of Secrets: This started promising but I kinda lost interest by the end (there is a second volume coming but not sure if I'll check it out).
    Steampunk kids adventure that feels like a lost Disney project, probably because the author worked on a bunch of Disney stuff. This is just my idea but it feels like she wanted to pitch this project to the big mouse but ended up doing it as a GN instead.
    I really like the art style but there are sections of the book where it felt rushed, especially the ending, that should have been this grand, magnificent action scene...or maybe I just lost interest in the story by that point.
    I'd probably still recommend it for kids tho!

Suncatcher: Early 2000s Mexican underground rock scene + the story of a girl trying to get her grand father's soul out of a guitar by writing the perfect hit song and breaking the curse.
    Great premise but let down by the execution.
    I've found the art style inconsistent and a bit under developed, and the way the story was told was often confusing. Sometimes I wanted some narration to help me understand what's going on, but at other points the book was more "tell don't show" (especially when they explain the grand father's curse's deal, it's just a half page summary, instead of an actual, fleshed out flashback).
    I still liked it and would be interested in the author's future work but I wish he got some help with this one.

Thirsty Mermaids: Mermaids get drunk and turn into humans to go on land to get more booze, but they are stuck in their human bodies and now have to cope with human society.
    I've LOVED LOVED LOVED Snapdragon and was super hyped for Thirsty mermaids and Kat Leyh doesn't disappoint!
    More mature style (swearing and some lady parts) but it's a fun romp that tackles serious issues (mainly body dysmorphia) and an amazing cast of characters.
    Can't recommend it enough and it comes as a nice, thick hardcover!

Astonishing Member

Finished Thor: The Devourer King from Donny Cates

Mighty Member

Just finished ASM: Last Remains and LR Companion. Good story, really poor collection scheme. This probably needed to be interweaved like the Hunted collection, and not having the epilogue issues makes the story stop more than end.

Also finished Justice League Odyssey v4. It was fine - the story moved so far from where it started, and the lead ups to Death Metal all seemed to suffer in the same way - nothing really mattered at all - so while I don't regret reading it, it's pretty likely I never re-read this run
    Blue text denotes sarcasm