Page 140 of 220 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190 ... LastLast
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 3296

My library got a copy of Rip Kirby Vol 1 by alex raymond. I read through the first arc. Its really good when compared to what Marvel and DC were doing in 1946. No wonder newspaper strips were king until the silver age.

Spectacular Member

You’re putting me to shame, Foxy. That’s impressive. I haven’t been able to get as much reading done as I’d like due to work and a recent move. Have recently finished the Dragonball VizBigs Vols 1-5 which was a nice nostalgia trip as I loved the anime as a kid. Also about to knock out Baltimore. Finished Omnibus Volume 1 and at the climax of Volume 2. Should be done tonight. I’m surprised this doesn’t get talked about more when the Mignolaverse comes up. I think it’s brilliant. I enjoyed Volume 1 more than Volume 2. Stenbeck’s art is the perfect complement in Volume 1 and I like that it’s focused almost entirely on Lord Baltimore. Unfortunately Stenbeck only does a small bit of the art for the stuff contained in the second omnibus and the replacement artist is not as good. I could definitely feel the difference. The story is good but not as riveting as the first omnibus. Just my opinion. The series is well worth reading though. Next up I’ll finish LOSH: The Great Darkness Saga (halfway through - it’s been fun but a bit misleading as the first half is almost entirely other stories that have nothing at all to do with Darkseid) and then I will be reading ASM Omnis Vols. 1-4. Going on a Spider-Man marathon.
    Last edited by Nab432; 10-05-2020 at 07:59 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Wow, great stuff! I have to say that all of my friends and acquaintances have been commenting they've been reading more books this year - but your 20 omnibus reads alone shatter the competition
    Thanks - it does seem much so I just re-checked.

To determine the numbers, I just did a word count in my "read"-list, these 20 omnis include everything that is labeled omnibus in my list, including the 6 TPB omnis of The Boys, Witchfinder and one Abe Sapien book.

However, the other two Abe Sapien books as well as the BPRD "omnis" were in my list as "HC" and were therefore counted as HCs instead of omnibus. Also, some OHCs are big enough to be omnis, e.g. Inferno Prologue / Inferno, Fall of the Mutants. So it kind of levels out

Would be interesting to see how many issues this would add up to

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nab432 View Post
    You’re putting me to shame, Foxy. That’s impressive. I haven’t been able to get as much reading done as I’d like due to work and a recent move. Have recently finished the Dragonball VizBigs Vols 1-5 which was a nice nostalgia trip as I loved the anime as a kid. Also about to knock out Baltimore. Finished Omnibus Volume 1 and at the climax of Volume 2. Should be done tonight. I’m surprised this doesn’t get talked about more when the Mignolaverse comes up. I think it’s brilliant. I enjoyed Volume 1 more than Volume 2. Stenbeck’s art is the perfect complement in Volume 1 and I like that it’s focused almost entirely on Lord Baltimore. Unfortunately Stenbeck only does a small bit of the art for the stuff contained in the second omnibus and the replacement artist is not as good. I could definitely feel the difference. The story is good but not as riveting as the first omnibus. Just my opinion. The series is well worth reading though. Next up I’ll finish LOSH: The Great Darkness Saga (halfway through - it’s been fun but a bit misleading as the first half is almost entirely other stories that have nothing at all to do with Darkseid) and then I will be reading ASM Omnis Vols. 1-4. Going on a Spider-Man marathon.
    I think part of it is that we moved into a new house and the TV is now in the man cave, i.e. when I sit in the living room I only read and am not distracted / tempted by the remote

Baltimore is fantastic, read it a couple of years ago. Agree with your assessment of volume 1 versus 2. By the way Stenbeck also did art for some other Mignolaverse books, I think it may have been in BPRD.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post

To determine the numbers, I just did a word count in my "read"-list, these 20 omnis include everything that is labeled omnibus in my list, including the 6 TPB omnis of The Boys, Witchfinder and one Abe Sapien book.

However, the other two Abe Sapien books as well as the BPRD "omnis" were in my list as "HC" and were therefore counted as HCs instead of omnibus. Also, some OHCs are big enough to be omnis, e.g. Inferno Prologue / Inferno, Fall of the Mutants. So it kind of levels out

The main reason why I am jealous is because I am a very slow comic books reader...

Those omnis of The Boys, are they worth buying?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    Those omnis of The Boys, are they worth buying?
    Normally I am a HC snob but since I wasn't ready to spend the asking price for these Definitive Editions, I went for the TPBs. Must say I actually really liked them. Easy to read, seem like good quality and look good on the shelf

Content-wise I think it's a great run.

Normally I am a HC snob but since I wasn't ready to spend the asking price for these Definitive Editions, I went for the TPBs. Must say I actually really liked them. Easy to read, seem like good quality and look good on the shelf

Content-wise I think it's a great run.
    I'm also always opting for a HC if possible. But some things aren't available for normal prices or only in TPB. I last bought the Hexed omnibus in TPB, really worth it.

Spectacular Member

I will slightly amend what I wrote in my last post. I said I was going to read ASM Omnis Vols 1-4 next. I actually felt compelled to read the first miles morales omni. Started it last night and read the first five issues. It was damn good. Sara Pichelli’s art just pops and I was riveted by the story as well. I’ll continue with it. Might have to read the second miles omni after this. Then I promise to work my way back to ASM Omni Vol. 1 lol.

BANNED

Reading Star Brand: New Universe Vol 1-2.

Another gem I missed back in the day. Only read the Jim Shooter written issues (#1-7) so far, but damn these are fun... So 80's, so politically incorrect lol.

Incredible Member

Still on the New Teen Titans Omnibus, about 8 issues in. The first couple of issues were a bit challenging as the direction of travel wasn't clear. But then the pair of Wolfman and Perez found their footing. It's a bit wordy and a product of its time but it's well-written, i.e. someone thought about the plot before writing it down, which nowadays seems to be a forgotten way of working. Oh and Perez' art is getting better by the issue (except that one issue that was done by a guest penciler apparently). Very good to see also that there was an arc lasting several issues instead of a "monster of the week" kind of thing. Not bad for a run from 1980.

This will take a while to get through due to the wordiness but it's enjoyable so far.

Spectacular Member

Still on the New Teen Titans Omnibus, about 8 issues in. The first couple of issues were a bit challenging as the direction of travel wasn't clear. But then the pair of Wolfman and Perez found their footing. It's a bit wordy and a product of its time but it's well-written, i.e. someone thought about the plot before writing it down, which nowadays seems to be a forgotten way of working. Oh and Perez' art is getting better by the issue (except that one issue that was done by a guest penciler apparently). Very good to see also that there was an arc lasting several issues instead of a "monster of the week" kind of thing. Not bad for a run from 1980.

This will take a while to get through due to the wordiness but it's enjoyable so far.
    I think that period of comics was typically a bit more "wordy" than the late 80's and 90's. I finished Vol.s 1-4 of New Teen Titans a little while ago, and can agree that the wordiness made it a bit long to get through.
    I kind of think that in the first few issues, that neither Wolfman or Perez thought this was going to go anywhere. But once they were comfortable with how well received the book was, the longer arcs and better stories really come through and make it the legendary run it became.

Spectacular Member

Just finished Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus. Took less than a week. Very quick and addictive read. The art was for the most part excellent and Miles has quickly become a favorite character. I’m not sure yet whether I want to continue with spidey. Might mix it up with something else and come back to it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nab432 View Post
    Just finished Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus. Took less than a week. Very quick and addictive read. The art was for the most part excellent and Miles has quickly become a favorite character. I’m not sure yet whether I want to continue with spidey. Might mix it up with something else and come back to it.
    Sounds good! Did you read the Peter Parker Ultimate Spider-Man run before or did you just go in cold?

Spectacular Member

Sounds good! Did you read the Peter Parker Ultimate Spider-Man run before or did you just go in cold?
    Yeah I had read everything prior to the Omni on MU. There is still quite a bit that I need to read though that was not covered in the Omni. For the Divided We Fall United We Stand crossover for example it can be confusing as only the spidey issues are included. I believe you need Ultimate Comics X-Men 13-18 and Ultimate Comics Ultimates 13-18 for the full arc. For cataclysm, they just give you a very brief summary as to what happened during the event before moving forward so I’ll need to read everything that was included in the cataclysm last stand trade. I also think you need to read All-New X-Men 31-36 and All-New Ultimates 1-6, everything that is included in the spider-verse OHC, All-New Ultimates 7-12, Secret Wars 1-9 and Secret Wars Battleword: Ultimate End 1-5. I think that’s about everything that wasn’t in the Omni and what you need to read prior to starting the second miles omni. So that would be my only complaint. All this supplemental reading you need to seek outside the Omni.