Page 164 of 220 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174214 ... LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 3287
    Incredible Member

Reading BPRD The Devil You Know HC as a little break from my X-Men 90s readathon (so far 10 omnibus and OHCs in a row).

My Mignolaverse readthrough up until this point was sometime last spring so I hope I will remember enough plotpoints.

I continued my journey through 90's X-Men with Avengers/X-Men Maximum Security. I must say, I did not like the premise of this crossover and strongly dislike the whole Xavier/Skrull arc that tied heavily into the story. Even so, the story could have been pretty decent if not for the Ego The Living Planet plotline included - which took the book from 'somewhat silly' to 'outrageously silly'. In spite of all that, there were still some pretty strong individual issues included. And it was a joy to see two of my favorite Superman artists, Dan Jurgens and Jerry Ordway, again. The book actually had some really solid artwork in general, no complaints there.

Amazing Member

Just finished Vol 2 of Busiek's Avengers which was great. 11 issues through the New Warriors Omnibus that I just picked up and loving it! Should have that read by the time my Journey in Mystery (Kieron Gillen) Omnibus arrives!

Incredible Member

Black Cat v1-3 - a breezy read without super heavy stakes. Felicia is on the outs with the Guild but they honestly don't seem that threatening. Was annoyed these 13 issues didn't wrap up that plotline though. 7 out of 10.

November v4 - I don't know what the takeaway was supposed to be. Like, it was fine to read, with cursive lettering that was actually difficult to read haha... Lapham lite. Nothing I feel the need to read twice. 6 out of 10.

Space Boy v8-9 - continuation of a lovely book with great characters. Recommended. 8 out of 10.

Gert and the Sacred Stones - the artwork is gorgeous and the characters are solid. I really love these YA type books with Disney-ish art. 8 out of 10.

BPRD 1946-1948 / Vampire - still don't know why they don't put the Vampire mini in with the 1946-1948 compilation; it's a pretty essential continuation. Anyway, great book. This is my 3rd or so time reading this over the years. 8 out of 10.

The Dept of Truth v1 - Excellent. Highly intriguing. I hope it doesn't devolve into questions on top of questions on top of mysteries like Gideon Falls did. I find I enjoy a lot of Tynion's indie work (the Woods, Something is Killing the Children, now this) whereas I can't point to a single DC work of his that I'd call memorable. 8 out of 10.

Maggy Garrison - fantastic little working class British thriller. Fun, funny, and sometimes violent. Like a Guy Ritchie film. 9 out of 10.

Next: Bad Machinery v9-10. Love this series by John Allison. Wasn't hot on his Steeple or By Night. I have all volumes of Giant Days but haven't read them yet. Looking forward to Machinery continuing into Wicked Things later this month.
    Last edited by newparisian; 04-05-2021 at 05:06 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Reading BPRD The Devil You Know HC as a little break from my X-Men 90s readathon (so far 10 omnibus and OHCs in a row).

My Mignolaverse readthrough up until this point was sometime last spring so I hope I will remember enough plotpoints.
    I felt the Devil You Know ended on a whimper. For one, that major character's return... you'd think there'd be a memorable reunion with the old team. But, nothing. This saga really needed a stronger finish.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post

Gert and the Sacred Stones - the artwork is gorgeous and the characters are solid. I really love these YA type books with Disney-ish art. 8 out of 10.
    oh that looks promising. The art reminds me more of stuff like Lumberjanes but either way, it looks good!

The Magic Fish by Trung Le Nguyen: Immigrant story +coming out + fairy tales.
    Absolutely loved this GN,beautiful art, touching story, I was hooked after a few pages. The way the narratives interweave and the fairy tales reflect on the issues the characters are going through is very satisfying.
    Just a lovely lovely book.

Delicates by Brenna Thummler: The sequel to Sheets, which was about a young girl processing grief and then meeting with a ghost.
    The sequel expands on the concept, brings in new characters and issues (gets pretty heavy by the end) and in my opinion even surpasses the first book.
    Both are excellent but Delicates feels more complex and a bit more adult (although I'd say both are for a YA audience but should be read by everyone).
    Also Thummler's art is just lovely and moody. Another highly recommended book.

Incredible Member

After a short interruption to finish my Mignolaverse read-through (following the release of the BPRD Devil you Know omnibus), I'm currently back to my X-Men readathon and reading my custom "X-Men: Road to Onslaught" omnibus.

At about halfway through, I think the word "onslaught" has been mentioned on two, maybe three occasions. Not much actual foreshadowing going on. More focus on the characters and some of the lingering effects caused by the end of reality and the Age of Apocalypse, which is cool. It seems some of the nastier characters from that Earth made it to our universe.

Just finished BPRD devil you know and now started injustice 1 omni at home and Conan by Busiek omni at work, enjoying both of them (first time I’ve enjoyed a DC book with Batman in it for a good while)

Read the first volume of Wonder Woman 77. The stories are OK, but wow, it is so far from Lynda Carter Wonder Woman. It just isn't. They can say it's based on her all they like, but it's a completely different Wonder Woman. The art is nice though, and I said the stories aren't bad at all in themselves.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

@Enigma

I have been tempted to try it in sales, but comic and novel adaptations are almost always bad/out of character so I'm not surprised. At least it was a good comic if not a faithful one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    @Enigma

I have been tempted to try it in sales, but comic and novel adaptations are almost always bad/out of character so I'm not surprised. At least it was a good comic if not a faithful one.
    I was also a bit worried. I didn't want to sound too down it, because the stories and art themselves are good, although the stories are very basic. It uses WW's rogue gallery and she can also fly now apparently, which she doesn't to my knowledge in the TV show, at least not that I remember. She mostly just jumps very high, possibly some gliding in there. However, to me, Lynda Carter's WW is a detective more than a superhero and these just don't fit that.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    I felt the Devil You Know ended on a whimper. For one, that major character's return... you'd think there'd be a memorable reunion with the old team. But, nothing. This saga really needed a stronger finish.
    Agree. Have to say I do like that there is a definitive ending. Overall, looking at the "main narrative" of both Hellboy and the BPRD books, I felt it was neatly tied together and I also liked that it wasn't an ending where someone waved a magical wand and everything was back to normal again.

However, it all felt very rushed. I also would have liked more time for the main / original characters to reconnect and catch up before the end. Also, the fate of one character who just gets thrown into the water was far from satisfying. Something like a proper epilogue was also missing.

If they had just taken 5 issues more, it would have probably been enough.
    Last edited by Foxy; 04-07-2021 at 07:57 AM.

New X-Men by Grant Morrison. Don't like most of the artwork, hate the transformation done to Beast, really despise the Xorn storyline (thank the gods for the retcon) and I'm not a big fan of neither Fantomex nor Jean Grey's arc. Yet... in spite of all that, I still find the run very much engaging. It's a huge step up from the many miserable years leading up to this run, and even though I'm not a fan of many of Morrison's choices, his modern and mature storytelling is amazing.
    Last edited by Hive; 04-09-2021 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    really despise the Xorn/XXX storyline (thank the gods for the retcon)
    You should edit that so as not to spoil it for people who haven't read this run.