Page 212 of 218 FirstFirst ... 112162202208209210211212213214215216 ... LastLast
Results 3,166 to 3,180 of 3256
    Extraordinary Member

Just got Jack Kirby's 4th world omnibus. A beautiful monster of a book.

Read Love Everlasting vol 2 on Saturday. Still no idea what's going on as far as the underlying mechanism of "why is this happening", but damn it's a great read regardless.

X-Factor Epic Collection Volume 1
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Lobster Johnson omnibus 2

House of M Omnibus. It is a thick Omnibus, it will take some time to finish.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Amazing Spider-Man by Nick Spencer vol.1
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Just finished Regression complete edition, now reading The last Ronin: Lost years.

The Wild Storm volume 1.

Currently, on the last pages of the Green Lantern, Kyle Rayner Rising Compendium. Basically, it's a collection of a couple of TPBs that, for some reason, I missed getting, even though I like Kyle Rayner's early days as Green Lantern. It's easy to see why it was a such a rough transition for Hal Jordan fans. I was never much of a Hal fan (for me, John Stewart always had the most potential at being THE Green Lantern, especially after they added his JL cartoon military background to his comics history), and I welcomed the freshness of new blood that Kyle brought to the mythos, however, IMHO, they didn't really have to crap all over Hal to send him off. That said, the book is a great sampler for what DC was putting out back then, with lot's of tie-in issues with other books, such as New Titans, R.E.B.E.L.S., Guy Gardner Warrior (that, alone deserves it's own commentary section. The New "Warrior" powers were interesting, and I liked that they were trying to move Guy away from the Green Lantern world, making both, him and Kyle, more unique on their own, however, the "alien Native American" look, the background mythology and the new GG personality that they tried to introduce along with them were all awful. Talk about wasted potential.), Damage, Darkstars, etc..., and with the multitude of guest-stars that pop up in the book (Alan "Golden Age Green Lantern" Scott, Superman, Hawkman, Supergirl, Donna "Darkstar" Troy, Steel, Aquaman, etc...). It was intresting to see how interconnected DC was really working hard at being back then, perhaps even more so than Marvel. The Compendium even has an issue that brings back Felix Faust, just to set him up for a completly unrelated return over in the pages of an Outsiders book. Amazingly enough, given the amount of artists that worked on the variety of books featured in the Compendium, the art is mostly solid throughout the book (I'll consider the Guy Gardener issues an exception, perhaps more for the coloring than the art itself, which was also not much to my liking, but is not enough to distract you from the flow of the story), and the storytelling is quite tight. I really wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. The book is HUGE (around 700 pages), but I got so immersed in it, that I've managed to devour it over the course of just a few days. A very good read.

Peace

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    The Wild Storm volume 1.
    I just re-read all 4 volumes and it's incredible how well Ellis updated the Wildstorm universe into a cohesive whole for the current generation. Like, today, the Authority (4 superpowered people trying to piece together a conspiracy and brainstorming how to change the world) wouldn't happen on a 50 mile carrier but just at someone's apartment, over pizza.

Ellis is a master at streamlining and updating characters, be it Iron Man, Moon Knight, New Universe, Endless Wartime, James Bond, Wild Storm, Thunderbolts, Supreme, Secret Avengers, and of course the Counter-X stuff. I understand he's problematic these days, though, but some of this work is my most re-read (and defining versions) of those characters.
    Last edited by newparisian; 12-18-2023 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    I just re-read all 4 volumes and it's incredible how well Ellis updated the Wildstorm universe into a cohesive whole for the current generation. Like, today, the Authority (4 superpowered people trying to piece together a conspiracy and brainstorming how to change the world) wouldn't happen on a 50 mile carrier but just at someone's apartment, over pizza.

Ellis is a master at streamlining and updating characters, be it Iron Man, Moon Knight, New Universe, Endless Wartime, James Bond, Wild Storm, Thunderbolts, Supreme, Secret Avengers, and of course the Counter-X stuff. I understand he's problematic these days, though, but some of this work is my most re-read (and defining versions) of those characters.
    I agree and wished the line continued. I like DC but I like them more seperate than together. Wildstorm and Milestone being seperate from the DCU appeals to me.

Both Injection and Planetary are better than the Wild Storm but it's a solid 7-8 out of 10.

Incredible Member

I agree and wished the line continued. I like DC but I like them more seperate than together. Wildstorm and Milestone being seperate from the DCU appeals to me.

Both Injection and Planetary are better than the Wild Storm but it's a solid 7-8 out of 10.
    Well, Planetary is an all-time banger haha! I wish Injection had continued. I have the OHC sitting on my shelf, waiting to be re-read. But I know it'll be an incomplete story.

Well, Planetary is an all-time banger haha! I wish Injection had continued. I have the OHC sitting on my shelf, waiting to be re-read. But I know it'll be an incomplete story.
    Those 3 comics and his newUniversal run at Marvel work as counterparts. Have you read newUniversal?

Rereading the Wild Storm made me realize Ellis wrote my favorite take on Grifter.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-18-2023 at 02:13 PM.

Yeah, I was really enjoying Injection. Ellis at his best. Too bad he had to go and throw it all away by being a [redacted].

Incredible Member

Those 3 comics and his newUniversal run at Marvel work as counterparts. Have you read newUniversal?

Rereading the Wild Storm made me realize Ellis wrote my favorite take on Grifter.
    Yes to newuniversal, aka Larroca's phase where he modeled characters after real world celebrities. I think Gillen did a one shot too (Shockfront?).

Grifter disappears in the second half of the story. I'd like to have seen him meet and cope with the likes of Midnighter and Slayton, i.e. soldiers who are tactical like him but also powered. Would've also been cool to see the Gen13 kids appear.