Page 127 of 220 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131137177 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 3287

The Prince and the dressmaker: lovely story about a cross dressing prince who hires a young tailor. It touches on the expected subject matters: manly father (the king) who wants his son to marry and be the new king while the son just wants to dress up as a lady and the new tailor, who just wants to be a fashion designer (I think the story takes place about a 150 years ago?).
    Very good cartoony artwork and a heartwarming story. Loved it.

Anya's Ghost: a girl falls into a hole and she finds a ghost there. She takes her home and then the ghost starts helping her to navigate her high school life, but it might not be the best decision.
    High school crushes, immigrant problems with fitting it, trying to be cool but maybe you shouldn't try that hard. All that and nice little supernatural touch. Very good YA graphic novel.

The old guard (v1): interesting concept, bit Highlander but more serious and grounded. It's Rucka so you know it's gonna be good but I think the end was a bit lacking in tension, due to the main characters not being able to die. Curious about how it continues tho and if the upcoming Netflix movie manages to be good.

After some adventures with new material that left me somewhat dissapointed recently, I decided to venture back into "safe" territory with the Dark Phoenix TPB, which I just finished. I have now begun on the Days of Future past TPB, which follows it directly. Sure, the comics of the early 80's are a bit dated in their presentation and coloring, mainly - but they hold up. Claremont and Byrne are both amazing storytellers and their run together was one of the finest X-Men runs I have had the pleasure of reading.

I looking forward to the Proteus Epic Collection being released in a few months, which will end exactly where Dark Phoenix began and contain most of the Claremont+Byrne UXM I'm currently missing.

Quote Originally Posted by lodebone View Post
    OK guys looking for some advice over the long weekend. What Omnibus should be next up?

Doom Patrol by Morrison (also have Invisibles but figured I would do them in order)
    Thor by Simonson
    Uncanny Avengers (just finished first read of Uncanny X Force a few weeks ago)
    New X Men
    Wonder Woman by Simone
    Simone's Wonder Woman
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

OK guys looking for some advice over the long weekend. What Omnibus should be next up?

Doom Patrol by Morrison (also have Invisibles but figured I would do them in order)
    Thor by Simonson
    Uncanny Avengers (just finished first read of Uncanny X Force a few weeks ago)
    New X Men
    Wonder Woman by Simone
    Go directly to uncanny avengers.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Go directly to uncanny avengers.
    I grabbed Uncanny Avengers and just finished it off. Very good although not quite up to Uncanny X Force. The female leads have been outstanding in these stories (Psylocke in UXF) especially Scarlet Witch and Rogue, two of my favorites. But is the rest of this Red Onslaught worth chasing down? I am guessing no?

Now that I’ve read that whole one I’m back in the same place!

Thor by Simonson
    Batman Inc by Morrison
    Doom Patrol by Morrison
    Wonder Woman by Simone
    FINISH Fantastic Four by Byrne 2 (halfway through)

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I would read Batman, Thor, Doom Patrol, Fantastic Four! Actually I would read the Wonder Woman first because I have never read it and the rest would be re-reads.

Mighty Member

I just finished Wonder Woman by Simone a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I don't think that's a bad option at all.

AXIS is the conclusion to the Uncanny Avengers story. It's probably Remender's weakest story in the Uncanny X-Force/Avengers run, but it's still pretty decent.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

I grabbed Uncanny Avengers and just finished it off. Very good although not quite up to Uncanny X Force. The female leads have been outstanding in these stories (Psylocke in UXF) especially Scarlet Witch and Rogue, two of my favorites. But is the rest of this Red Onslaught worth chasing down? I am guessing no?

Thor by Simonson
    Batman Inc by Morrison
    Doom Patrol by Morrison
    Wonder Woman by Simone
    I’d finish the Byrne FF. I like that run and remember it being strong right to the end (issue 295 I think)
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Let me know what you think!

Hi, so Ex Machina was great overall, but I think that some of the plots towards the end could have been shortened / or replaced with stories to explain what happened during the time jump at the end. The ending felt suddenly rushed, a bit unearned and out of character. Would still definitely recommend this to everyone though.

*SPOILERS* for Ex Machina

Especially the way H interacted with his two former closest allies at the end felt strange. What is the supposed takeaway in the relationship with B? Did H have feelings for B (as one of the previous stories suggest where he thinks he will die and says "tell him I loved him") but didn't want to admit it now because that would have been a problem with his campaign for higher office? Or was it because B was clearly drunk and down on his luck and maybe confused? My guess is the former and it would fit with him becoming more ruthless in the course of the book. (Or, fun alternative: he was always this ruthless, but it was revealed more and more during the book).

As far as other BKV books, I have read the three Saga hardcovers and the two Paper Girls hardcovers that are out so far. I would say that Saga still takes top spot (even though it is unfinished) and Ex Machina comes in second. With Paper Girls I need to see whether he can stick the landing there. Also, while I did enjoy it, I wasn't blown away by it like many others.

Still have the Y absolutes and the Runaways omnibus on the shelf that I need to read. Any other BKV books worth tracking down?

Incredible Member

Reading the X-Men by Chris Claremont & Jim Lee Omnibus volume 1 at the moment, about halfway through.

There are actually not many issues in here drawn by Jim Lee, but when you get to them, you instantly know. I understand now why he became such a star in the day. Marc Silvestri was the main artist at the time and his art was already good but Jim Lee takes it to a different level. Now his style is of course well-known but it must have been super fresh at the time it first came out.

Of the two X-Men omnis by Claremont & Lee, this one is the less beloved one apparently and I can see why people would think that. The team is scattered all over and the stories focus on their individual woes. However, given Claremont's amazing long-term plotting ability, I trust that he will bring it back together and make it worthwhile at some point. Unfortunately, I think that point will only come in the second omnibus, so I have to be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Hi, so Ex Machina was great overall, but I think that some of the plots towards the end could have been shortened / or replaced with stories to explain what happened during the time jump at the end. The ending felt suddenly rushed, a bit unearned and out of character. Would still definitely recommend this to everyone though.

*SPOILERS* for Ex Machina

Especially the way H interacted with his two former closest allies at the end felt strange. What is the supposed takeaway in the relationship with B? Did H have feelings for B (as one of the previous stories suggest where he thinks he will die and says "tell him I loved him") but didn't want to admit it now because that would have been a problem with his campaign for higher office? Or was it because B was clearly drunk and down on his luck and maybe confused? My guess is the former and it would fit with him becoming more ruthless in the course of the book. (Or, fun alternative: he was always this ruthless, but it was revealed more and more during the book).

As far as other BKV books, I have read the three Saga hardcovers and the two Paper Girls hardcovers that are out so far. I would say that Saga still takes top spot (even though it is unfinished) and Ex Machina comes in second. With Paper Girls I need to see whether he can stick the landing there. Also, while I did enjoy it, I wasn't blown away by it like many others.

Still have the Y absolutes and the Runaways omnibus on the shelf that I need to read. Any other BKV books worth tracking down?
    His Private Eye is great. Available in a nice HC.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    His Private Eye is great. Available in a nice HC.
    Ah yes, I have seen the HC. Didn't realise it was by him. Thanks

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Thor by Simonson
    Batman Inc by Morrison
    Doom Patrol by Morrison
    Wonder Woman by Simone
    I would say:
    Finish FF
    Thor
    Batman
    WW
    DP
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Reading the X-Men by Chris Claremont & Jim Lee Omnibus volume 1 at the moment, about halfway through.

There are actually not many issues in here drawn by Jim Lee, but when you get to them, you instantly know. I understand now why he became such a star in the day. Marc Silvestri was the main artist at the time and his art was already good but Jim Lee takes it to a different level. Now his style is of course well-known but it must have been super fresh at the time it first came out.

Of the two X-Men omnis by Claremont & Lee, this one is the less beloved one apparently and I can see why people would think that. The team is scattered all over and the stories focus on their individual woes. However, given Claremont's amazing long-term plotting ability, I trust that he will bring it back together and make it worthwhile at some point. Unfortunately, I think that point will only come in the second omnibus, so I have to be patient.
    Jim Lee is my favorite artist, Claremont is my favorite writer and X-Men my favorite comic book property... so yeah, that run was basically my all-time favorite comic book era. Volume 2 will have the better parts though.

As for Marc Silvestri, I was never a huge fan of his work on X-Men. His later work on Wolverine was much better, in my opinion. Really dug him there.

I've just started reading Giant Days Volume 1.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"