Page 42 of 220 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast

Just finished vol 8 of Hellblazer (working my way through them) and I have to say I hope it gets better, I read up to about issue 100ish when they were released as floppies but I don’t remember them being this boring, even the Ennis stuff has put me to sleep, which writer have I got to look forward to in the later runs? This is a shame as I always remembered Hellblazer as being the book that started me collecting conics, rose tinted glasses I guess, because at the moment ebays a calling.

Just had a horrible thought, what if after all these years, when Absolute ST gets released, I feel the same?? ��

Also, the Hellblazers are being read at work, my home reading at the mo is Absolute ASS, which isn’t disappointing me at all
    Last edited by Hellboydce; 07-09-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Just finished vol 8 of Hellblazer (working my way through them) and I have to say I hope it gets better, I read up to about issue 100ish when they were released as floppies but I don’t remember them being this boring, even the Ennis stuff has put me to sleep, which writer have I got to look forward to in the later runs? This is a shame as I always remembered Hellblazer as being the book that started me collecting conics, rose tinted glasses I guess, because at the moment ebays a calling.

Just had a horrible thought, what if after all these years, when Absolute ST gets released, I feel the same?? ��

Also, the Hellblazers are being read at work, my home reading at the mo is Absolute ASS, which isn’t disappointing me at all
    oh boy, maybe Carrey then? I liked the Jenkins run but preferred Ennis. Azzarello is very different so maybe you will enjoy that more? But I think you will like Carrey since you liked Lucifer too (although that's the superior work imho).
    Same thing happened to me with The Goon btw. I'm always afraid since then when I revisit a series I'll be disappointed but thankfully that was the only one so far (recently reread The Ultimates which is still a fun series although I look at it differently now than a decade ago and started re reading Scalped which is just as good as it was the first time).

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I'm currently reading my Amazing Spider-man Omnibus Volume 1 again in honour of Steve Ditko.
    I was about halfway through this particular omni when I heard the news. cherishing the rest of it before I move on to vol. 2.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhamJamie View Post
    How do the early Spidey stories hold up? Keen to give them a read as I haven't read as much Spider-Man as I'd like and the original stuff looks quite good.
    Besides FF, this is the best the silver age has to offer. I would say they stand the test of time & are definitely worth checking out!

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhamJamie View Post
    How do the early Spidey stories hold up? Keen to give them a read as I haven't read as much Spider-Man as I'd like and the original stuff looks quite good.
    I'd say they still hold up. I mean, you can tell they were written 50 years ago but they're kind of iconic and definitely enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    I was about halfway through this particular omni when I heard the news. cherishing the rest of it before I move on to vol. 2.
    I re-read Dr Strange's origin over the weekend, as well as picking up the Spidey omni again. I had a Ditko weekend, which is spilling over into this week!
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Reading the 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition of Crisis On Infinite Earths. I was 12 when COIE came out. I didn’t really understand what was going on at the time, and am almost positive I didn’t read each issue when it came out either. I specifically remember buying #8 where the Flash dies, and it having more of an impact for me than Supergirl dying in the prior issue.

For a re-read, I really enjoy it.

Too much stuff lol! But I'm reading:

Death of Wolverine Complete Collection
    Avengers by Hickman Omnibus Vol. 1

And I really need to finish these 2 that I started a longgg time ago. They are great but I read a lot of stuff and can't seem to pick them up again:

Gotham Central Omnibus
    Punisher by Garth Ennis Omnibus

Amazing Member

Finished Identity Crisis 10th Anni Hardcover and now have started Infinite Crisis omnibus!

Quote Originally Posted by HuggyBear View Post
    Finished Identity Crisis 10th Anni Hardcover and now have started Infinite Crisis omnibus!
    And did you like it?

Incredible Member

I'm on to Lucifer Vol 4. Have to go order Vol 5! For anyone who likes Sandman, this would be a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I'd say they still hold up. I mean, you can tell they were written 50 years ago but they're kind of iconic and definitely enjoyable.

I re-read Dr Strange's origin over the weekend, as well as picking up the Spidey omni again. I had a Ditko weekend, which is spilling over into this week!

While not my personal favorite, I think Spider-Man is the most consistently good book of the SA. The early run culminating in issues 31-33 where Spidey goes nuts is easily one of the best moments of the 60s. I might have to reread those three this weekend. That and the first appearance of the Lord of Nightmares in Dr. Strange. I love that issue.

Like a number of fellow members in this board, I'm rereading the Lee/Ditko Spidey omnibus. Romita was always my favorite Spidey artist since it's his look what got me into the character. But it's undeniable how much concept, dynamism and sheer creativity Ditko brought to the table. In his run, you find all of the basic Spider-Man mythos for the first time. All the classic villains appear within those first issues. Is it too wordy, or is the art too clunky? For audiences not used to the Silver Age charm, maybe. But it still holds up.

His work in Creepy or Eerie written by Archie Goodwin is my favorite by him on all levels, but as far as Marvel goes, in my opinion Amazing Spider-Man 31-33 is peak Steve Ditko, *SPOILER* the machinery lifting and the swinging arms after defeating Ock's henchmen sequences being my highlights.

Extraordinary Member

Moore's Swamp Thing is sensational. Every few months or even years, you come across comics which 'defy' the genre and are simply fantastic stories. Swamp Thing fits thisc ategory. The horror aspects are powerful and even knowing it is a comic and only fiction, the fear you feel is genuine. I also love the oddity of it all, but how the book takes itself seriously.

One of the best comics that I have ever read, possibly the best.

Started reading Multiversity OHC, the last new 52-era book I have to read before I can finally get to the Rebirth deluxe editions. The first issue was excellent, and I think I'm actually going to read it again before moving on to the next one...something that definitely doesn't happen in collected editions.

All-New Member

I didn't start yet, but I just got my Miles Morales Omnibus and the Runaways omnibus. I'm super excited to get started.

Hellblazer vol 9 has picked up a bit but that may be to do with Sean Phillips art more than anything else, can’t tell you how disappointing it is rereading these