Page 143 of 218 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153193 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 3266

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    I like to think of it like Star Trek TNG. The first season is rough but it makes you appreciate season 2 and on more. Same thing with that limbo period between FF 20 and the galactus saga.

I do love FF annual #1
    Question for those who know a lot about comics history and creation. IN the earlier FF issues, there's quite a few panels where everything is colored in one color. The entire image is orange, or purple, etc... I've seen Atlas stories like this, too.
    My guess is this was used for expediency for the colorist - just color the entire man purple and move on. It adds a certain "mood" I suppose. Am I correct in that? Was there any other reason? When most panels are colored as you'd expect and then you have a random panel that's just ONE color, it's a little shocking. (I realize I'm nitpicking here)
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    I'm FINALLY reading my Fantastic Four vol 1 (Silver Age) omnibus!! My plan is to read a few issues each night and churn through this to get to vols 2+3.
    I'm a little over 1/3rd through it. I have to admit, while silver age can be a 'chore' to get through sometimes, this stuff is great.

The non-stop bickering gets on your nerves after awhile. And I thought it was interesting at the beginning, first 8ish issues, where everyone called Ben "Thing". I mean, c'mon, you've all known him for years, especially Reed, call him BEN. They obviously all do this now and have for a long time. One of those "get your footing" things from Stan's writing, I'm sure. And remember this was written for kids, hence calling him by his "super hero name" I suppose.

As with all silver age, especially Marvel, it's interesting the pandering about women and (of course) Communism!! Specifically here related to the Red Ghost, but really it's all over the place in early Iron Man stories.

Anyways, I'm enjoying things. And as time permits, which for me is about an hourish every night, I'm reading. I can't read for hours on end silver age stuff, it gets to be too much for me, but an hour or so is fine. And these stories are fun. But I'm really waiting to get to OMni vol 2 so I can read the initial Coming of Galactus story which I've never read, and all the Inhumans stuff. So great stuff ahead!
    I recieved my copy of this last week but haven't started it yet. Good to hear that the stories are still enjoyable to read in modern times. Like you I am really curious to eventually get to the Galactus saga and introduction of Silver Surfer.
    I am currently working through vol 1 of Uncanny X-Men Omni, so I'll need to finish that before starting on the FF one.

Quote Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
    I recieved my copy of this last week but haven't started it yet. Good to hear that the stories are still enjoyable to read in modern times. Like you I am really curious to eventually get to the Galactus saga and introduction of Silver Surfer.
    I am currently working through vol 1 of Uncanny X-Men Omni, so I'll need to finish that before starting on the FF one.
    yeah, I'm trying to get through some of the big series I've been meaning to forever. I'll wait until 2021 until I have UNcanny 1-4 and then read that. I'm focusing on FF now, then probably head to Iron Man. I've read OMni vol 1 (which was a chore), but will re-read it, and then I have omni 2 and all MMWs to present-released, so I'll read that. I read both Cap omnis last year (which were good!) I also need to to a read through of all my Avengers omnis, which I haven't done in forever.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate

Spectacular Member

I’m about 3/4 of the way through the Death and Return of Superman Omni. It’s been a real hit and miss. Parts are good. The whole doomsday fight and funeral arc was pretty good. The Reign of the Supermen was not so good. I’m hoping the last 300 pgs or so pick it up. I gotta say I remember enjoying the Superman Exile omni more. Also started Ex Machina. It’s okay so far. Not bad but not very memorable either. A lot of the political subplots are too much on the nose. There is a distinct lack of subtlety. Also rereading Batman Year One because I want to do a Batman readthrough from start to finish now that I have the vast majority collected. It’ll be fun reading the knightfall arc and all the caped Crusader/dark Knight detective trades as I haven’t read most of the material before.

Quote Originally Posted by Nab432 View Post
    I’m about 3/4 of the way through the Death and Return of Superman Omni. It’s been a real hit and miss. Parts are good. The whole doomsday fight and funeral arc was pretty good. The Reign of the Supermen was not so good. I’m hoping the last 300 pgs or so pick it up. I gotta say I remember enjoying the Superman Exile omni more.
    The Death and Return of Superman is my favorite Superman arc ever. Sure, the quality is a bit hit and miss in some parts - but with the exception of Louise Simonsen and Jon Bogdanove's stuff, I think the overall quality is pretty great. And both Grummet and Jurgens were at the top of their game artwise at the time, a real joy to see.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    The Death and Return of Superman is my favorite Superman arc ever. Sure, the quality is a bit hit and miss in some parts - but with the exception of Louise Simonsen and Jon Bogdanove's stuff, I think the overall quality is pretty great. And both Grummet and Jurgens were at the top of their game artwise at the time, a real joy to see.
    I agree. Those Simonson and Bogdanove issues were rough. One of the annuals I want to say #3 the penciller was horrendous (Newell off the top of my head for the bloodlines event). It was cringeworthy art. If Grummett was penciling the majority of the run it would be improved a lot. I love supes and enjoy the this omni for what it is but I can’t call it a classic. Obviously memorable for the central event but just too uneven. I’m really looking forward to the Superman rebirth omni though. And I hope that DC will finally someday release a MOS Byrne omni. I just don’t understand why Batman outnumbers Superman drastically in the omni department. Hopefully this imbalance gets corrected somewhat over the next couple of years.

I just ordered the Matt Wagner batman collection. Came out in June and I waited for it to drop, it's forty bucks on Canadian amazon. Strangely I haven't found a single unboxing video of it. I have no idea what I'm getting lol. I'm excited for it though.

I agree. Those Simonson and Bogdanove issues were rough. One of the annuals I want to say #3 the penciller was horrendous (Newell off the top of my head for the bloodlines event). It was cringeworthy art. If Grummett was penciling the majority of the run it would be improved a lot. I love supes and enjoy the this omni for what it is but I can’t call it a classic. Obviously memorable for the central event but just too uneven. I’m really looking forward to the Superman rebirth omni though. And I hope that DC will finally someday release a MOS Byrne omni. I just don’t understand why Batman outnumbers Superman drastically in the omni department. Hopefully this imbalance gets corrected somewhat over the next couple of years.
    That whole Bloodlines annual crossover event was horrendous overall. Some of the art was okay, but the story... oh boy.

Question for those who know a lot about comics history and creation. IN the earlier FF issues, there's quite a few panels where everything is colored in one color. The entire image is orange, or purple, etc... I've seen Atlas stories like this, too.
    My guess is this was used for expediency for the colorist - just color the entire man purple and move on. It adds a certain "mood" I suppose. Am I correct in that? Was there any other reason? When most panels are colored as you'd expect and then you have a random panel that's just ONE color, it's a little shocking. (I realize I'm nitpicking here)
    Silver age coloring was kind of a throwaway job. I don't even know if the colorist chose the colors themselves or just followed the color guides. They were the last to get credit for their work on the title pages.

I think it was just a time saving method and it was hard for newsprint to keep the colors from bleeding. It does add to the tension of a panel. I don't know if its intentional or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    Silver age coloring was kind of a throwaway job. I don't even know if the colorist chose the colors themselves or just followed the color guides. They were the last to get credit for their work on the title pages.

I think it was just a time saving method and it was hard for newsprint to keep the colors from bleeding. It does add to the tension of a panel. I don't know if its intentional or not.
    thanks! The concept of "time saving", that's what I thought as well. I'm sure it wasn't someone being lazy / 'taking the easy way out', it was more time, since you had a small handful of people (ala Kirby) cranking out so much material.
    The point about the coloring, though, when it's all in BLUE, then, yeah, it's sort of moody, but when it's all in orange or whatever, it comes off as a little whacky. But maybe that's because I'm looking at it in with 2020 eyes/sensibilities.

Capture.jpg

Took a few quick pics, these are all from FF issue 1. Some, I think, are for effect - like making Ben red and Johnny orange, which then draws your eyes to the colored characters of Reed + Sue. Or the driver all red, which cries out "panic!" or whatever. But some, like having the cop/man yellow and then orange, to me those aren't for 'mood', but rather just time saving devices.

It feels like these 'techniques' were leftovers from the Atlas age/50's, and they quickly became out of fashion - you don't see this happening too much after the very early issues of FF. But then, they had droves of fans writing them letters, and Stan/Jack/others realized people actually cared about this stuff, and perhaps they decided to take a few extra minutes/hours/days to color everything? I'm probably drawing too many conclusions there, I just find this topic very interesting.
    Last edited by Rimmer; 10-30-2020 at 07:29 AM.

Capture.jpg

Took a few quick pics, these are all from FF issue 1. Some, I think, are for effect - like making Ben red and Johnny orange, which then draws your eyes to the colored characters of Reed + Sue. Or the driver all red, which cries out "panic!" or whatever. But some, like having the cop/man yellow and then orange, to me those aren't for 'mood', but rather just time saving devices.

It feels like these 'techniques' were leftovers from the Atlas age/50's, and they quickly became out of fashion - you don't see this happening too much after the very early issues of FF. But then, they had droves of fans writing them letters, and Stan/Jack/others realized people actually cared about this stuff, and perhaps they decided to take a few extra minutes/hours/days to color everything? I'm probably drawing too many conclusions there, I just find this topic very interesting.
    Thats a good point about it not showing up after 1963. I'm sure the colors didn't look quite as garish on newsprint.

Spectacular Member

Sweet. The first time I read this it was just the standard trade. The next time through I’m gonna read the deluxe as well along with the three companion deluxes for the full experience.
    The bonus of the Deluxe Edition is that the book includes both parts of History of the DC Universe at the end. Just finished Crisis last night, and onto the History part.
    All I can say about COIE, is that its still a really good story, has really great art, and could be my FAVE ALL-TIME superhero story.

Incredible Member

Finishing my Thor by Aaron run. Read the fourth OHC yesterday and started on the War of the Realms omnibus.

Spectacular Member

After finishing Crisis On Infinite Earths, decided to stay in that era a bit and started the George Perez run of Wonder Woman. Starting Vol 1 today.