Page 34 of 220 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I don’t remember Animalman being that special. Just a solid read. Just finished trade six of Sandman, Fables and reflections. So hard to single out the one I like the most. Got me thinking about American Gods, the book. I haven’t seen the show. The MCU is kinda like one of those new gods.

found myself in an unusual situation lately. Turns out I probably don't have such a wide range of taste as I thought I have. This year I had 4 big disappointments so far, 3 of them are whales (or at least two) and all of them are books I thought I will absolutely love.
    First I gave up on the current TMNT series after the 2nd deluxe, then Midnight nation (which I tried to find for ages for a good price) turned out to be just insufferable. Then I felt like Captain Ahab when I got the Starman omnibus set just to give up on reading it not even halfway through. It wasn't bad but I've read an issue or two/day and I was kinda looking forward to going to bed after that instead of wanting to stay up and read (like it happened with Lucifer which was my previous read)
    And now I gave up on Archer & Armstrong 2 issues before the end of the 2nd deluxe. Same feelings as for Starman. And I really enjoyed Ivar from Van Lente and some parts of A&A were genuinely good but I just can't bring myself reading it any more. Feels like a physical chore to read it (is it maybe the lettering? or the amount of dialogue that slows down the reading? I started skimming the word bubbles) or is it the sort of episodic, 4 issue/arc nature that just makes me feel like I can quit any time without losing anything.
    Not sure what the problem is.

So instead of finishing it started reading March (finally) after watching the Bobby Kennedy for president documentary on netflix and it's really good so far!
    Every time I feel like there is something wrong with me for not liking a usually beloved series I start reading something else that I end up loving. I might just getting old and less adventurous with my readings?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    found myself in an unusual situation lately. Turns out I probably don't have such a wide range of taste as I thought I have. This year I had 4 big disappointments so far, 3 of them are whales (or at least two) and all of them are books I thought I will absolutely love.
    First I gave up on the current TMNT series after the 2nd deluxe, then Midnight nation (which I tried to find for ages for a good price) turned out to be just insufferable. Then I felt like Captain Ahab when I got the Starman omnibus set just to give up on reading it not even halfway through. It wasn't bad but I've read an issue or two/day and I was kinda looking forward to going to bed after that instead of wanting to stay up and read (like it happened with Lucifer which was my previous read)
    And now I gave up on Archer & Armstrong 2 issues before the end of the 2nd deluxe. Same feelings as for Starman. And I really enjoyed Ivar from Van Lente and some parts of A&A were genuinely good but I just can't bring myself reading it any more. Feels like a physical chore to read it (is it maybe the lettering? or the amount of dialogue that slows down the reading? I started skimming the word bubbles) or is it the sort of episodic, 4 issue/arc nature that just makes me feel like I can quit any time without losing anything.

So instead of finishing it started reading March (finally) after watching the Bobby Kennedy for president documentary on netflix and it's really good so far!
    Every time I feel like there is something wrong with me for not liking a usually beloved series I start reading something else that I end up loving. I might just getting old and less adventurous with my readings?
    You are just having a bad run. Take a break and go back to them later. I find mood matters a lot. Not ALL celebrated runs are going to be equally loved by everyone. My recent example of that was Fantastic Four 1. While it had its moments I found it slow to get through and found myself skimming the lesser issues to finish it. Than I went onto Captain America 1 which I loved.
    I got Lucifer. I have a few trades I want to finish than I am going to start that.

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    You are just having a bad run. Take a break and go back to them later. I find mood matters a lot. Not ALL celebrated runs are going to be equally loved by everyone. My recent example of that was Fantastic Four 1. While it had its moments I found it slow to get through and found myself skimming the lesser issues to finish it. Than I went onto Captain America 1 which I loved.
    I got Lucifer. I have a few trades I want to finish than I am going to start that.
    Mood definitely matters. If you are forcing yourself to read a run, you'll likely enjoy the book you chose to escape from it a lot more and dislike the 1st book. Maybe even read your favourite book again and not worry about progressing in your backlog.

Incredible Member

I definitely hear ya on the skipping word balloons in overly verbose books, mainly Kirkman stuff. I ran an experiment a few years ago where I'd read an issue of the Walking Dead and whenever anyone was talking, I'd just skip to their last word balloon in their speech and that balloon would basically be a summary of everything else that the character was just saying. It saved sooo much time haha

And re: March... it was good but it was written very umm unsubtle-y (?). The story literally starts with some kid asking Mr. Lewis "so hey how was life back then?" and he launches into his story, then every so often in the present day segments someone would literally ask him another pointed question (like "then what did you do?") and he'd tell them. The story, especially across three volumes, is very "and this happened, then that happened, and then this other thing"... it kinda drowns in the details, rather than doing it Selma style where the life and movement of MLK was seen through the prism of a single monumental event.

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    I'm really intrigued what you think of Lucifer since I feel responsible convincing you to get it
    As for the bad run...I've already sold them
    Happened with TMNT, put them back on the shelf and they were just a constant nagging feeling, a shadow looming over me but I couldn't go back and read them again cause all I remembered was the agony of trying to like it but not really managing that.
    I still have a lot of unread stuff or books I haven't read in a long while (read them in trade or singles then upgraded to hc years ago etc) so I'm not too fussed about selling stuff I'm not super keen on.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    I definitely hear ya on the skipping word balloons in overly verbose books, mainly Kirkman stuff. I ran an experiment a few years ago where I'd read an issue of the Walking Dead and whenever anyone was talking, I'd just skip to their last word balloon in their speech and that balloon would basically be a summary of everything else that the character was just saying. It saved sooo much time haha

And re: March... it was good but it was written very umm unsubtle-y (?). The story literally starts with some kid asking Mr. Lewis "so hey how was life back then?" and he launches into his story, then every so often in the present day segments someone would literally ask him another pointed question (like "then what did you do?") and he'd tell them. The story, especially across three volumes, is very "and this happened, then that happened, and then this other thing"... it kinda drowns in the details, rather than doing it Selma style where the life and movement of MLK was seen through the prism of a single monumental event.
    interesting I never had that problem with Kirkman. I think lettering matters a lot.
    And I see what you mean with March but I can kinda forgive the clunkyness of the storytelling engine if the story itself is engaging enough.
    To me the most unbelievable part was the 2 kids standing there listening to this 70 year old dude rambling about chickens for half an hour. I mean, I was entertained but I doubt 2 ten year olds would be

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    Mood definitely matters. If you are forcing yourself to read a run, you'll likely enjoy the book you chose to escape from it a lot more and dislike the 1st book. Maybe even read your favourite book again and not worry about progressing in your backlog.
    nah that's really not the case. That happened before and I could tell. I was really looking forward to both A&A and Starman (I love most of the Valiant titles and I was looking forward to Starman for a long while).
    To bring up Lucifer the billionth time, that was a book I took off the shelf thinking I will just read one volume because I should cause I bought all of them. And then I just couldn't stop.
    Or Gundam origin. I've forced myself to read it cause I've only read the first volume like ages ago and I had all 12. Fast forward 2 weeks and I was building gunpla and was almost done with the whole thing cause I just loved it to bits.

Just finished Lucifer, it was as good as I remember it when I read the floppies and have now jumped straight into Hellblazer, another book I haven’t read since it first came out all those years ago (my first comic was Hellblazer, 3 or 4, can’t quite remember) I just hope I haven’t been remembering it with rose tinted glasses as I have 18 trades to get through

nah that's really not the case. That happened before and I could tell. I was really looking forward to both A&A and Starman (I love most of the Valiant titles and I was looking forward to Starman for a long while).
    To bring up Lucifer the billionth time, that was a book I took off the shelf thinking I will just read one volume because I should cause I bought all of them. And then I just couldn't stop.
    Or Gundam origin. I've forced myself to read it cause I've only read the first volume like ages ago and I had all 12. Fast forward 2 weeks and I was building gunpla and was almost done with the whole thing cause I just loved it to bits.
    Alright so is it just down to a bad pair of books or do you think with the decision to pull back on buying comics, that might have shifted your attitude a bit and also made you more discerning about what you read?

Astonishing Member

I finished Reading recently Scalped TPB Vol 1 and Sandman TPB vol 4 (Season of the Mists)
    Scalped was interesting,will be getting the second volume eventually but itīs not that high in my wish list.
    The fourth volume of Sandman was great,will be re-Reading the stories for sure,but for now my next read will be something completely diferente because the Sandmanīs tpb that are missing in my collection are readily available so i am in no rush to read the next one because i like to vary the types of comic books i read.
    So curently the only collected edition that i am Reading is a collected edition of four Tintin books that contain (The Seven Crystal Balls ,Prisoners of the Sun,The Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's Treasure ) and my next order of a TPB i am still in doubt.
    Thinking of getting the Spider Verse TPB that i only read through Marvel Unlimited.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    I finished Reading recently Scalped TPB Vol 1 and Sandman TPB vol 4 (Season of the Mists)
    Scalped was interesting,will be getting the second volume eventually but itīs not that high in my wish list.
    The fourth volume of Sandman was great,will be re-Reading the stories for sure,but for now my next read will be something completely diferente because the Sandmanīs tpb that are missing in my collection are readily available so i am in no rush to read the next one because i like to vary the types of comic books i read.
    So curently the only collected edition that i am Reading is a collected edition of four Tintin books that contain (The Seven Crystal Balls ,Prisoners of the Sun,The Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's Treasure ) and my next order of a TPB i am still in doubt.
    Thinking of getting the Spider Verse TPB that i only read through Marvel Unlimited.
    Scalped should be. It improves so much over the next couple arcs. It really becomes a completely different kind of story. It's definitely somewhere in my top 10. I love it, and i don't throw around that type of praise much.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Scalped should be. It improves so much over the next couple arcs. It really becomes a completely different kind of story. It's definitely somewhere in my top 10. I love it, and i don't throw around that type of praise much.
    Thanks for the info.
    I will be buying at least the second TPB of Scalped,Itīs for sure in my wish list.
    And good to know that itīs a good read,because i am not even that much of a reader of Crime and Western comic books and nevertheless i thought the story and art was interesting.

BANNED

Got myself 10 volumes of [Marvel Masterworks] Uncanny X-Men which means I'm finally going back and rereading Chris Claremont's legendary run for the first time since the 80's.

I was little bit nervous going into it, expecting it to be all dated and horribly wordy and what not. Read the 1st volume last night and it was actually not too bad. Cockrum's art is better than I remember it being, but I'm still waiting to get to the Byrne issues in the next volume... Those were the ones that got me hooked on comics to begin with a long time ago. So far so good.

Incredible Member

I'm really intrigued what you think of Lucifer since I feel responsible convincing you to get it
    As for the bad run...I've already sold them
    Happened with TMNT, put them back on the shelf and they were just a constant nagging feeling, a shadow looming over me but I couldn't go back and read them again cause all I remembered was the agony of trying to like it but not really managing that.
    I still have a lot of unread stuff or books I haven't read in a long while (read them in trade or singles then upgraded to hc years ago etc) so I'm not too fussed about selling stuff I'm not super keen on.
    I am about a third of the way through the first Lucifer. I am really liking it a lot. I was going to read just the first issue before bed and read 3 and some more this morning so thats a good sign! I really like the art style too (more so as I read through rather than first impressions flipping through) and I was interested in the character from the first issue. Sometimes, it can take a few issues before I feel invested in the characters. I had ordered the first two trades so the second onee will be ready to go!