Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667
Results 991 to 999 of 999
  1. #991
    Mighty Member FluffySheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,604

    Default

    I finished Aquaman Volume 4: Death of a King HC today. I thought it might have dipped a bit after Throne of Atlantis, but no, this was still really good. I've really enjoyed Johns' stuff, but now I'm moving onto Jeff Parker's Aquaman Volume 5: Sea of Storms HC.
    Currently Pulling: Amazing Spider-man, Black Hammer: Age of Doom, The Freeze, Farmhand, Gideon Falls, Infinite Dark, Babyteeth

    “We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

  2. #992
    Amazing Member Dr Hank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Just got done reading Identity Crisis for the first time. This is the most "modern" DC comic I've read, I'm mostly a silver-bronze age fan. But I actually really liked the story and most of the art. I'm a big Watchman fan so maybe that's why I liked it, it's definitely in that vein. Wasn't perfect but a pleasant surprise- I'm going to read Infinite Crisis next.

  3. #993
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    1,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post
    Just got done reading Identity Crisis for the first time. This is the most "modern" DC comic I've read, I'm mostly a silver-bronze age fan. But I actually really liked the story and most of the art. I'm a big Watchman fan so maybe that's why I liked it, it's definitely in that vein. Wasn't perfect but a pleasant surprise- I'm going to read Infinite Crisis next.
    This seems to be very divisive of fans, but I always enjoyed it as far as events go. Think people who just take it for face value tend to like it more. I pretty much try to approach all stories that way, and don't get too caught up in arms over characterization and whatnot.

  4. #994
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Just finished Absolute Transmetropolitan Volume 3. What a great series! Would recommend that to anyone.

    Until now, everything I've read by Warren Ellis was good (Planetary, Global Frequency, his Secret Avengers run and Transmetropolitan).

    Now I have to decide what to read next. I may dive into the Jodoverse. Or maybe Silver Age Spider-Man? Or American Vampire? There's just too much stuff on my shelves. Makes it hard to pick something... (first world problems, I know )

  5. #995
    Fantastic Member Dick Grayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    This seems to be very divisive of fans, but I always enjoyed it as far as events go. Think people who just take it for face value tend to like it more. I pretty much try to approach all stories that way, and don't get too caught up in arms over characterization and whatnot.
    Poor characterization is the least of the problems with Identity Crisis Taking a beloved female character and raping her in order to create some kind of half-assed mystery is a level of misogyny I can do without. I have trouble reading a lot of Alan Moore's work due to his casual use of rape as well; it's just not something I'm looking for in comics, especially when it seems to have no reason for being there other than "hey, let's rape a woman here because why not?" In Identity Crisis, for me, it came across as "we need to make a gritty, dark, ADULT story. How can we do that and take it to the next level? Of course - RAPE!"

    I enjoyed the Zatanna mindwipe stuff and its fallout though, especially as it related to building up to Infinite Crisis. But yeah, I felt the story getting there could've been better!

  6. #996
    Mighty Member FluffySheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,604

    Default

    I finished Aquaman Volume 5: Sea of Storms HC today. I wasn't sure about it to begin with but I was enjoying it by the end. Now I'm reading Aquaman Volume 6: Maelstrom HC.
    Currently Pulling: Amazing Spider-man, Black Hammer: Age of Doom, The Freeze, Farmhand, Gideon Falls, Infinite Dark, Babyteeth

    “We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

  7. #997
    Fastest Man Alive ArkhamJamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I finished Aquaman Volume 5: Sea of Storms HC today. I wasn't sure about it to begin with but I was enjoying it by the end. Now I'm reading Aquaman Volume 6: Maelstrom HC.
    Once you finish Vol. 6, I’d love to hear your thoughts. Would you say the Parker run is a worthy follow-up/solid continuation of the first four volumes? Huge fan of Johns’ run but have never committed to reading the rest of the New 52 series.

  8. #998
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    1,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    Poor characterization is the least of the problems with Identity Crisis Taking a beloved female character and raping her in order to create some kind of half-assed mystery is a level of misogyny I can do without. I have trouble reading a lot of Alan Moore's work due to his casual use of rape as well; it's just not something I'm looking for in comics, especially when it seems to have no reason for being there other than "hey, let's rape a woman here because why not?" In Identity Crisis, for me, it came across as "we need to make a gritty, dark, ADULT story. How can we do that and take it to the next level? Of course - RAPE!"

    I enjoyed the Zatanna mindwipe stuff and its fallout though, especially as it related to building up to Infinite Crisis. But yeah, I felt the story getting there could've been better!
    See, divisive!! Lol

  9. #999
    Amazing Member Dr Hank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    See, divisive!! Lol
    Yeah I can see that! Honestly I thought it was pretty harsh at first, but it wasn't handled "poorly" to me or anything. I mean I didn't react as if they just put a rape in there for the sake of being edgy or something, it didn't seem exploitative to me. I thought the story progressed from that point in an interesting way, though I do think they somewhat neglected going more into Elongated Man's reaction to everything that happened to his wife. Maybe that was the point though, that he just kind of shut-down emotionally. The funeral scene was done well though.

    I just read Crisis on Infinite Earths earlier this year for the first time and I thought this was a good, modern "follow up" story to that. I can see though how some might be turned off by the level of violence or feel like they "retconned" some story and character elements.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •