Page 185 of 219 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185186187188189195 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,775 of 3277
    Incredible Member

Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites- I'm a sucker for anthropomorphic stories like this and Wild's End, Mouse Guard, and Blacksad. Liked it a lot. 10/10

We Stand on Guard- BKV is in my top 5 favorite comic writers. This was a brutal but uplifting book. Skroce's art is pretty good too. 8/10

Nocterra v1- It was fine. Your basic post-apocalypse wasteland story with factions and shanty towns and secrets galore. Won't be back for the second volume though; not enough different or new here. 5/10.

Monster omnibus v1-2- I can't seem to quit Urasawa. Most times his pacing works (this and 20th Century Boys); sometimes not (Asadora). This was a great opener about a murder mystery with a moral play at its heart. 9/10.

21st Century Boys- ending to Urasawa's 20th Century Boys series. Great send-off. 8/10

Nomen Omen v1- quit after 3 issues; wasn't for me. 3/10

Home Sick Pilots v1- a supernatural horror story with punk bands. Enough here to bring me back for v2. 6/10

Marvel Boy- a re-read of the Morrison/Jones mini. Good stuff but very concept heavy and the character work felt (appropriately I suppose) alien to me. I prefer Noh-Varr's further adventures in Young Avengers and GotG more though. 7/10

Legion (DnA) v1- my first ever blush with the LoSH outside of Johns' writing. Frankly I didn't take to this. I could tell it was written fine but just didn't grab me. All characters were shades of others I've read elsewhere, and early Coipel is decent but not great. 5/10

Black Panther: Man Without Fear- the David Liss/Francavilla series. Pretty good T'Challa story taking place after the terrible Shadowland. 7/10

Ever: the Way Out- Usually I like Terry Moore's work. But unless this was the first in a new series of OGNs, it was wholly unsatisfying to read and a "okay that just happened". If there's a follow-up I'd consider it, but I rather prefer his existing universe of Motor Girl, Serial, Rachel Rising, Echo, et al. 4/10
    Last edited by newparisian; 11-25-2021 at 03:45 PM.

Incredible Member

Top 10: the Forty Niners- pretty good book by Moore/Ha; prequel to Top 10. 7/10

Ultimate Fantastic Four OHC- now this FF by Millar, I liked. The combo of big ideas and slightly regressive characterization, with great (yes great) Greg Land art. 8/10

The Okay Witch v2- great follow up to the first volume. 8/10

Sam Wilson Captain America complete v2- I liked this quite a bit. Spencer does good work here, though a good chunk is connected to the main Hydra Cap book. The issues of race and systemic outlooks are handled well. The Generations issue was great too. 8/10

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IDW v1- I know this was recommended upthread but man I could not get into it. First off the artwork was not pleasing for me. And the story was... fine. I guess if I'd known the original lore it may have tickled my fancy more. 4/10

Thunderbolts (Ellis)- fan-fucking-tastic! Be it Iron Man, Moon Knight, the Wildstorm universe, or James Bond, Ellis has the uncanny ability to boil down tired/unwieldy concepts and characters to their essence while also invigorating them. This frankly is my favorite iteration of all these characters, outside of some other key iterations (like Bullseye by Miller or Samson by PAD). This was a joy to have re-read after many years. To see Bullseye get bitch-slapped was *chef's kiss*.

Oh and this Norman Osborn just rules. He's insane, dangerous, conniving, and so very entertaining to read. There's this 6 or so page long monologue he does while suiting up as the Goblin where he goes through his list of grievances and how it's always down to him to get things done right which encapsulated this character wayyy better than any number of Spider-Man stories through the decades. 10/10
    Last edited by newparisian; 11-25-2021 at 03:57 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    First time!

The first book was a little slow and I was wondering what all the hype is about but the minute he went to hell to find his helm and Lucifer wanted to keep him because dreams had no power in hell; Morpheus's answer floored me and I was hooked.

I cannot wait to go through the entire thing and I am so happy that DC released the box set it makes it so easy to find and read.
    I have that same Sandman box set. Just finished the Death deluxe edition today. Pretty good.

Gaiman is not someone one reads for the thrills haha. Even Moore does the occasional action adventure like Watchmen, Miracleman, Top 10, or LoEG. But with Gaiman it's much more muted. I recently struggled to finish the 3 Dark Horse Library editions of his illustrated short stories. Aside from the murder-in-heaven one and the Sherlock Holmes riff, the rest were a chore to get through; the same motif of whimsical fairy tale with a horror twist. I've also read American Godz, Graveyard Book, and Ocean at the End of the Lane. All fine enough works. But nothing that's ever gotten the blood pumping. I don't need everything to be snikty snikty stabby, of course; I did finish Moore's From Hell after all haha... But Gaiman is an acquired taste for me; have to be in a certain mindset to enjoy it. Most times I find his work boring. I didn't cotton to his Miracleman or Eternals either; really liked Marvel 1602 though as well as Sandman of course.
    Last edited by newparisian; 11-25-2021 at 03:59 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    I have that same Sandman box set. Just finished the Death deluxe edition today. Pretty good.

Gaiman is not someone one reads for the thrills haha. Even Moore does the occasional action adventure like Watchmen, Miracleman, Top 10, or LoEG. But with Gaiman it's much more muted. I recently struggled to finish the 3 Dark Horse Library editions of his illustrated short stories. Aside from the murder-in-heaven one and the Sherlock Holmes riff, the rest were a chore to get through; the same motif of whimsical fairy tale with a horror twist. I've also read American Godz, Graveyard Book, and Ocean at the End of the Lane. All fine enough works. But nothing that's ever gotten the blood pumping. I don't need everything to be snikty snikty stabby, of course; I did finish Moore's From Hell after all haha... But Gaiman is an acquired taste for me; have to be in a certain mindset to enjoy it. Most times I find his work boring. I didn't cotton to his Miracleman or Eternals either; really liked Marvel 1602 though as well as Sandman of course.
    I hear ya, some issues were boring but that may be my modern comic reading sensibilities.

I am liking it a lot simply because it is so fantastical, I will definitely keep going to make an over all judgement.

Incredible Member

Going into Sandman I already kind of knew to expect a more contemplative type of experience and whatever thrills were in there here and there were just the icing on the cake.

It's really one of my all-time favourites and it's one of the few comic books I can actually see myself re-reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Going into Sandman I already kind of knew to expect a more contemplative type of experience and whatever thrills were in there here and there were just the icing on the cake.

It's really one of my all-time favourites and it's one of the few comic books I can actually see myself re-reading.
    I got in on Sandman when #8 was the current issue and read it as it came out from there. In subsequent years I replaced the floppies with trades and return to reread it every couple of years. I like some arcs more than others, and soem of my favorites are actually the one-off stories, but there is such a rich tapestry to explore throughout the series.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

The short stories in books like Worlds End Inn are what surprised me the most. Sandman covers so many kinds of stories. I just finished American Gods, I had read the novel but this read was so good!

I'm not a big marvel however I've always liked daredevil. So, I read millers stuff and I have skipped to guardian devil and now I've started bendis run. I plan on going right through from here .

Bendis run is soooo good so far. I'm about half way through the first batch before there was a break in his run.. It's so good! Like it has potential to be an all-time fav. I also hear it gets better once bubaker comes in.. So I'm currently a happy af reader!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I got in on Sandman when #8 was the current issue and read it as it came out from there. In subsequent years I replaced the floppies with trades and return to reread it every couple of years. I like some arcs more than others, and soem of my favorites are actually the one-off stories, but there is such a rich tapestry to explore throughout the series.

-M
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    The short stories in books like Worlds End Inn are what surprised me the most. Sandman covers so many kinds of stories. I just finished American Gods, I had read the novel but this read was so good!
    For me I only ever hear high praise about Sandman and how revolutionary it is and maybe I am showing my age; but to me it reads like a mature fairy tale.

That's not a criticism it's just very fantastical with mature themes and stellar dialogue and high fantasy concepts.

Nevertheless, I am enjoying it and maybe once I am done I will check out Gaiman's other graphic novels.

Also I have read his book American Gods & Norse Mythology; the latter was a good retelling of classical Norse mythology and the former was a like an episode of Supernatural (I know the show took a lot of ideas from this book).

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    For me I only ever hear high praise about Sandman and how revolutionary it is and maybe I am showing my age; but to me it reads like a mature fairy tale.

That's not a criticism it's just very fantastical with mature themes and stellar dialogue and high fantasy concepts.

Nevertheless, I am enjoying it and maybe once I am done I will check out Gaiman's other graphic novels.

Also I have read his book American Gods & Norse Mythology; the latter was a good retelling of classical Norse mythology and the former was a like an episode of Supernatural (I know the show took a lot of ideas from this book).
    The thing with reading anything that is considered revolutionary or groundbreaking is you have to be aware of the before and after effect. Often those works are very influential and much of what comes AFTER them reflects what they have done making it the norm, so if you have read a lot of the after and then go back and read the groundbreaking work that started it all, it seems de rigeur because you have come to expect things that are now the norm, but were not around in the BEFORE period that the work in question emerged from. Sandman was revolutionary in its time because no one was doing anything like it before in comics. Since that time, its approach, themes, conceits, etc. have all become part and parcel of the comics landscape so it doesn't seem all that different when juxtaposed to the works that came after it. But if you read it when it was coming out, or before its influence swept through the field of comics, it certainly was revolutionary and changed the way comics were done. The fact it no longer seems revotutionary is a testament to just how influential it was and how much others followed the trail it blazed when it was being released.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    The thing with reading anything that is considered revolutionary or groundbreaking is you have to be aware of the before and after effect. Often those works are very influential and much of what comes AFTER them reflects what they have done making it the norm, so if you have read a lot of the after and then go back and read the groundbreaking work that started it all, it seems de rigeur because you have come to expect things that are now the norm, but were not around in the BEFORE period that the work in question emerged from. Sandman was revolutionary in its time because no one was doing anything like it before in comics. Since that time, its approach, themes, conceits, etc. have all become part and parcel of the comics landscape so it doesn't seem all that different when juxtaposed to the works that came after it. But if you read it when it was coming out, or before its influence swept through the field of comics, it certainly was revolutionary and changed the way comics were done. The fact it no longer seems revotutionary is a testament to just how influential it was and how much others followed the trail it blazed when it was being released.

-M
    Extremely well said.

Amazing Member

Brubaker’s run is very good but not in the same class as Bendis’s

Quote Originally Posted by Charliemouse View Post
    Brubaker’s run is very good but not in the same class as Bendis’s
    Interesting. I'm almost done bendis run..it's been fantastic!

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Superman’s Greatest Team ups. It has a haphazard collection of DC Comics Presents. DC Comics has put out Superman’s Bronze Age collection in such a disjointed format. You can get bits and pieces but storylines are unfinished. They should reprint this whole series just like they did with the Joker Bronze Age Omnibus.

Also, I think Dick Dillin really benefits from a great inker, Dick Giordano brings so much weight to everything. It makes all of Dick Dillin’s great choices feel more substantial. Giordano on his own look great. He’s like Joe Quesada, a great artist, that also does management stuff.

Just read all the (world of) Black Hammer library editions.