Page 60 of 128 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast

I finished The Fade Out last night. I struggled to get into it at the start, then I felt it picked up in the middle and pulled me in, then I felt a bit let down by the ending. Still a good read, but not as good as I thought it would be.

I haven't read anything Batman related for a while, so I'm now reading the Superheavy HC.
    Currently Pulling: Amazing Spider-man, Daredevil, Invisible Kingdom, Farmhand, Gideon Falls, Family Tree, Babyteeth, Skulldigger and Skeleton Boy

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Got around to finally start the Spirit by Darwin Cooke that Dick Grayson bound for me a while back, collecting issues 1 - 32 & Batman/The Spirt, this really is good stuff, the Spirit really is a cool character and the supporting cast is just as cool, just goes to show there is so much really good stuff out there which needs to be collected properly
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hellboydce; 11-08-2018 at 07:00 AM.

BANNED

I have this spirit run as single issues... It was really something special, i wish it had been longer...

That is a sweet book btw.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I finished reading the Daredevil Root of Evil Epic Collection. I'd read the majority of this before i.e. the Daredevil issues but hadn't tead the Elektra: Root of Evil 4-issue mini-series by Chichester and McDaniel. It wasn‘t as bad as I expected. Not great but not the worst. The last Daredevil issue was #344 which was in fact part two of the mini-event Double Edge where a "brain-washed" Punisher is trying to take down Nick Fury. I understand them not including the majority of the other parts that were spread over Ghost Rider, Dr Strange and Hulk and most probably the whole event will be included in a Punisher Epic. However, I really believe that Double Edge Part 6 could have been included in this Daredevil Epic as Daredevil plays a decidedly substantial part in it and it brings the story to an end (there is an epilogue in a further Hulk issue but only one panel with Matt). The Epic is not the thickest around so it wouldn't have done any harm in adding it.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I finished The Fade Out last night. I struggled to get into it at the start, then I felt it picked up in the middle and pulled me in, then I felt a bit let down by the ending. Still a good read, but not as good as I thought it would be.
    [/B]
    I enjoyed The Fade Out the entire way through. I wasn't disappointed by the ending. If I think about it, more could have occurred, but I found it somewhat realistic in that scenarios in real life often aren't resolved in satisfying fashion. Kind of reminded me of the end of season 1 of True Detective.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Got around to finally start the Spirit by Darwin Cooke that Dick Grayson bound for me a while back, collecting issues 1 - 32 & Batman/The Spirt, this really is good stuff, the Spirit really is a cool character and the supporting cast is just as cool, just goes to show there is so much really good stuff out there which needs to be collected properly

I remember enjoying the first hardcover volume of Cooke's run on The Spirit. I thought the weakest part was the Batman/Spirit section, which wasn't that great.

I started reading DONALD DUCK: TRICK OR TREAT on Halloween and have two stories left to read.

TrickorTreat.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    I started reading DONALD DUCK: TRICK OR TREAT on Halloween and have two stories left to read.
    TrickorTreat.jpg
    Donald Duck and Uncle Scroodge stories are always very fun to read.
    If you haven't I strongly recommand the youth of uncle scroodge by Don Rosa entitled The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck.

Astonishing Member

I finished reading the Amazing Spider-Man by David Michelinie and Tod McFarlane Omnibus.Great read,i had read these stories before in another collected editions but i enjoyed re-reading them in a Omnibus.
    And the Collected Edition i am currently reading is Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle TPB.

Astonishing Member

A few thoughts about the Amazing Spider-Man by David Michelinie and Tod McFarlane.
    Visually the Omnibus looks great, not as thick as the ASM Omnibus 1 and 2 but even so looks good on the Bookshelf.
    Story wise, this was a book that I could not stop Reading (And I have even read those stories before), the stories are dynamic in terms of moving the narrative of Peter Parker forward. There is a nice mixture of new villains and some classics re-appearing.
    The stories have Peter Parker and Mary Jane in very interesting developments. In many stories, some of the focus is on Mary Jane career and the stories do not get boring because of that at all. The references to stories of Spectacular Spider-Man and Web of Spider-Man are cool.
    Art wise, Tod McFarlane illustrations are just way cool. The first stories have a more traditional art style of Marvel with him (But even in those early stories by him there can be seen his great art style appearing (as in the spaghetti webbing) but a few stories more the art style changes to the "McFarlane art style".
    The art keeps improving with each issue, and even some panels where the characters seem a bit off with having larger heads that normal that´s like a minor complain because I just noticed that when I read this Omnibus, had not even noticed that when I read those stories way back.All though looking at the covers many of these stories were published bi-weekly during that time.So maybe it was because of short time that McFalrane art in some pannels do not look as good as usual.And considerating the quality of the stories it´s impressive how David Michelinie kept such a good consistency even when being published twice a month.
    Going back to the stories, David Michelinie stories kept improving as well. Even besides the stories collected in this Omnibus, there were great stories by him as the Return of Sinister Six story arcs.

Fantastic Four: Crusaders & Titans.
    Which reprints my 1st FF issue, #176.
    Improbable As It May Seem--The Impossible Man Is Back In Town!
    61pcpQIjuBL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I finished the Superheavy HC yesterday. Better than I was expecting.

I've now picked Dr. Strange & Dr. Doom: Triumph & Torment off the shelf to read next.
    Currently Pulling: Amazing Spider-man, Daredevil, Invisible Kingdom, Farmhand, Gideon Falls, Family Tree, Babyteeth, Skulldigger and Skeleton Boy

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    That is one beautiful hardcover. I really enjoyed Cooke's run on that series but I never got around to buying the final three trades. Would love to read your thoughts on issues #14-32 when you get to them.

Just finished The Sixth Gun Vol. 1 Cold Dead Fingers by Cullen Bunn and Brian Hurtt. I was hooked by the premise and the art but the characters left me cold. Hopefully, they'll begin to show more personality in vol. 2.

Fantastic Member

Was a bit short on time so still haven't finished Baltimore even though it's a really great read.

Wanted to continue with The Incal, but due to the passings of Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, I thought I'd crack open the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Volume 1 for a bit of old-school fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I enjoyed The Fade Out the entire way through. I wasn't disappointed by the ending. If I think about it, more could have occurred, but I found it somewhat realistic in that scenarios in real life often aren't resolved in satisfying fashion. Kind of reminded me of the end of season 1 of True Detective.
    I'm a big fan of the time period and type of story, but I would only give it 3 stars. I looked forward to each issue but never really got immersed. Another Brubaker story from around that time, Velvet, was much better and I actually had a dream about it and it took me a few minutes to realize it was a comic and not a movie I had just watched. I suppose it had the advantage of my waiting to read it all at once.