Page 108 of 128 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 1918
  1. #1606
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Reading Dark Ark by Cullen Bunn. The first story of his that I read was harrow County which I really enjoyed.

    About 3 issues in and the concept is very interesting, curious to see where it goes.

  2. #1607
    Moderator Balakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dundee, Scotland
    Posts
    5,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Reading Dark Ark by Cullen Bunn. The first story of his that I read was harrow County which I really enjoyed.

    About 3 issues in and the concept is very interesting, curious to see where it goes.
    If you enjoy his writing definitely check out Sixth Gun and Damned.

  3. #1608
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,798

    Default

    Finished reading a hardcover edition of a collection of Marvel super heroes featuring Spider-Man.
    The stories are Amazing Fantasy#15 and Amazing Spider-Man Annual#1.And the contents of The Amazing Spider-Man by Joseph Michael Straczynski,Vol. 6: Happy Birthday TPB.
    The former are classic stories that i had re-read several times and the latter have stories that i have read before as well,and includes Amazing Spider-Man#500,a centenary story of ASM that´s quite good.

  4. #1609

    Default

    The last week I finally started a binge reading through my Absolute Sandman volumes. I finished up Volume 5 last night, and may wait a bit to read Absolute Death, Overture or the new Lucifer omnibus at some later point. I'm not sure why I had put off reading Gaiman's work for so long, but once I got through the 4th Volume I was surprised that the monthly series had reached an end, and really wanted more.

    Now I'm not sure what to read next. I've been rotating nicely between reading DC, Marvel, Vertigo (and mixing in independent/IDW/Image/Boom titles occasionally), and it's kept things quite fresh. So before my Sandman binge, I quenched my Marvel fix reading X-Men Mutant Massacre, the new Black Bolt OHC and the Star Wars: Darth Vader vol. 1. And before that I read the Batman & Robin by Tomasi/Gleason omni.

    I'd like to read another DC omni so my choices are: Batman Eternal, Gotham Central, Seven Soldiers, the new print of Flash by Johns vol. 1, or Injustice: Gods Among Us. I'm leaning toward Batman Eternal as I'd like to get caught up as much as possible on Snyder Bat (and really need to get around to reading Dark Knight Metal).

  5. #1610
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanBlueThunder View Post
    The last week I finally started a binge reading through my Absolute Sandman volumes. I finished up Volume 5 last night, and may wait a bit to read Absolute Death, Overture or the new Lucifer omnibus at some later point. I'm not sure why I had put off reading Gaiman's work for so long, but once I got through the 4th Volume I was surprised that the monthly series had reached an end, and really wanted more.

    Now I'm not sure what to read next. I've been rotating nicely between reading DC, Marvel, Vertigo (and mixing in independent/IDW/Image/Boom titles occasionally), and it's kept things quite fresh. So before my Sandman binge, I quenched my Marvel fix reading X-Men Mutant Massacre, the new Black Bolt OHC and the Star Wars: Darth Vader vol. 1. And before that I read the Batman & Robin by Tomasi/Gleason omni.

    I'd like to read another DC omni so my choices are: Batman Eternal, Gotham Central, Seven Soldiers, the new print of Flash by Johns vol. 1, or Injustice: Gods Among Us. I'm leaning toward Batman Eternal as I'd like to get caught up as much as possible on Snyder Bat (and really need to get around to reading Dark Knight Metal).
    Go with either Injustice or Gotham Central. Best of the bunch.

  6. #1611
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Re read Locke & Key, even tho I actually hate the "in preparation for the movie/tv show" mentality, cause there should be no preparation to watch a movie (other than putting your clothes on and buying your ticket) but I loved L&K so much that I felt like I needed a reread to see how the show will compare.
    I really hope the people at Netflix will do justice, cause this book is still an absolute must read! Will probably have to wait a few years to see how they execute the ending on tv but they have their work cut out for them. I forgot how emotional and devastating the last few issues are.
    Man that is one of my all time favorites. So many novel ideas and characterizations. I loved when they went back and showed what went on with the father and his friends.

  7. #1612
    Mighty Member Hellboydce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Shrewsbury
    Posts
    1,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Re read Locke & Key, even tho I actually hate the "in preparation for the movie/tv show" mentality, cause there should be no preparation to watch a movie (other than putting your clothes on and buying your ticket) but I loved L&K so much that I felt like I needed a reread to see how the show will compare.
    I really hope the people at Netflix will do justice, cause this book is still an absolute must read! Will probably have to wait a few years to see how they execute the ending on tv but they have their work cut out for them. I forgot how emotional and devastating the last few issues are.
    The trailer hasn’t filled me with hope

  8. #1613
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    If you enjoy his writing definitely check out Sixth Gun and Damned.
    Thanks for the tip! Actually I also really enjoyed Dark Ark, so he is on my list of writers to watch.

    Side note: this was my first OHC from Aftershock comics and it is really well-made.

  9. #1614
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanBlueThunder View Post
    The last week I finally started a binge reading through my Absolute Sandman volumes. I finished up Volume 5 last night, and may wait a bit to read Absolute Death, Overture or the new Lucifer omnibus at some later point. I'm not sure why I had put off reading Gaiman's work for so long, but once I got through the 4th Volume I was surprised that the monthly series had reached an end, and really wanted more.

    Now I'm not sure what to read next. I've been rotating nicely between reading DC, Marvel, Vertigo (and mixing in independent/IDW/Image/Boom titles occasionally), and it's kept things quite fresh. So before my Sandman binge, I quenched my Marvel fix reading X-Men Mutant Massacre, the new Black Bolt OHC and the Star Wars: Darth Vader vol. 1. And before that I read the Batman & Robin by Tomasi/Gleason omni.

    I'd like to read another DC omni so my choices are: Batman Eternal, Gotham Central, Seven Soldiers, the new print of Flash by Johns vol. 1, or Injustice: Gods Among Us. I'm leaning toward Batman Eternal as I'd like to get caught up as much as possible on Snyder Bat (and really need to get around to reading Dark Knight Metal).
    How did you like Mutant Massacre? I've just finished the Masterworks and TPBs leading right up to it and at least during the Epic Collection "The Gift", there were some not so great issues. Luckily it picked up again in TPB "Ghosts". But overall that phase was not as engaging as the material in Uncanny X-Men Omnibus 3, so I hope that Mutant Massacre picks up again.

    As for your next read: Injustice Omnibus took me all of two sittings to read, it was that good. Real page turner! So I'd definitely recommend it.

  10. #1615
    Spectacular Member Dr Hank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Finished the Daredevil by Bendis omni; kinda dark and heavy stuff but I couldn't put it down and I liked where it ended up. Definitely getting vol. 2 next month.

    Part way into Batman by Loeb/Sale omni now, really enjoying it. Nice quick reads except for the time I spend lingering to soak in the incredible art (yikes to that Penguin!).

  11. #1616
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Just finished Y: The Last Man. It was okay. Certainly not as good as what many have said. A bit disappointed.

  12. #1617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    How did you like Mutant Massacre? I've just finished the Masterworks and TPBs leading right up to it and at least during the Epic Collection "The Gift", there were some not so great issues. Luckily it picked up again in TPB "Ghosts". But overall that phase was not as engaging as the material in Uncanny X-Men Omnibus 3, so I hope that Mutant Massacre picks up again.

    As for your next read: Injustice Omnibus took me all of two sittings to read, it was that good. Real page turner! So I'd definitely recommend it.
    I had just read Simonson's Thor omni a few weeks ago, so it got me into the mood for Mutant Massacre with some of the same crossovers (Thor facing the Mauraders in the tunnels under NYC and saving Angel & Iceman). I think Mutant Massacre is a great read from the 80s--when I first read it, and even a few years ago during a re-read, I was always shocked how so many of our favorite X-men were taken off the board. It presents a mix of Uncanny X-Men which I enjoyed more than the X-Factor issues. I always thought X-Factor was built on a strange concept (the original 5 were posing as a "mutant hunting agency" as X-Factor, but also had second secret identities as the pro-mutant group "X-terminators.") But they had some very strong character development of Angel and Cyclops (who finally starts to acknowledge that he's married lol, and goes back to find Madelyn). Overall, Mutant Massacre has some pretty important build up leading into The Fall of the Mutants (which is one of my favorite crossovers). There's also a great Daredevil issue in Mutant Massacre by Ann Nocenti featuring DD and Sabretooth. The Thor crossover issues may seem strange or tough to follow (during that Simonson run there were 5 or 6 stories simultaneously being told so there's plenty of "...Meanwhile in ..." with side stories that don't necessarily tie into Thor's interactions with the X-Men/X-Factor.

    Toward the end of the omni, the crossover issues were pretty worthy--I especially enjoyed X-Men vs Fantastic Four mini-series as it introduced a bit of a bond between Kitty and Franklin Richards. X-Men vs Avengers dealt with the aftermath and consequences of the trial of Magneto (which I'm not sure if I've reread or if it's in a collected edition--perhaps the upcoming Uncanny Claremont vol 4?).

  13. #1618
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanBlueThunder View Post
    I had just read Simonson's Thor omni a few weeks ago, so it got me into the mood for Mutant Massacre with some of the same crossovers (Thor facing the Mauraders in the tunnels under NYC and saving Angel & Iceman). I think Mutant Massacre is a great read from the 80s--when I first read it, and even a few years ago during a re-read, I was always shocked how so many of our favorite X-men were taken off the board. It presents a mix of Uncanny X-Men which I enjoyed more than the X-Factor issues. I always thought X-Factor was built on a strange concept (the original 5 were posing as a "mutant hunting agency" as X-Factor, but also had second secret identities as the pro-mutant group "X-terminators.") But they had some very strong character development of Angel and Cyclops (who finally starts to acknowledge that he's married lol, and goes back to find Madelyn). Overall, Mutant Massacre has some pretty important build up leading into The Fall of the Mutants (which is one of my favorite crossovers). There's also a great Daredevil issue in Mutant Massacre by Ann Nocenti featuring DD and Sabretooth. The Thor crossover issues may seem strange or tough to follow (during that Simonson run there were 5 or 6 stories simultaneously being told so there's plenty of "...Meanwhile in ..." with side stories that don't necessarily tie into Thor's interactions with the X-Men/X-Factor.

    Toward the end of the omni, the crossover issues were pretty worthy--I especially enjoyed X-Men vs Fantastic Four mini-series as it introduced a bit of a bond between Kitty and Franklin Richards. X-Men vs Avengers dealt with the aftermath and consequences of the trial of Magneto (which I'm not sure if I've reread or if it's in a collected edition--perhaps the upcoming Uncanny Claremont vol 4?).
    Hi, thanks for your reply

    By now, I'm actually around 600 pages into the Mutant Massacre omnibus and I am really enjoying it. I agree that the X-Factor set-up doesn't seem to make much sense but I do enjoy most of the stories, especially the ones dealing with the attack on Angel and the aftermath. While I really loved the Thor by Simonson omnibus when I read it (including the issues in this omnibus), I find myself skipping through them now (apart from the one where he finds Angel), because they are usually more about Asgard and I want to know how the X-Men story develops.

    The DD issue was great, as are the issues featuring Sabretooth and Wolverine.

    Good to know that there is a follow-up to the trial of Magneto, which I just read last week. It was in the X-Men Ghosts TPB I think.

  14. #1619
    Mighty Member Hellboydce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Shrewsbury
    Posts
    1,819

    Default

    Terminal City at home and LOEG Tempest at work

  15. #1620
    Moderator Balakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dundee, Scotland
    Posts
    5,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Terminal City at home and LOEG Tempest at work
    curious what you think of both.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •