Page 47 of 220 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast

I just read 'Ring of Roses'. It was an ok read, not bad, but I'd hardly pick it off the shelf to lend to somebody. Having said that, I paid £1.99, so it was certainly worth the price. I initially really disliked the art but I was surprised that it actually grew on me by the end. Although, I actually preferred the original artist's (they changed very early) concept for the opening scene. Verdict: Don't pay full price, but grab it for a few quid if you see it...
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Almost finished my Absolute Authorities, and they are defiantly on the keep pile, never can be underestimate how important the Authority is and how it shaped modern comics (in my humble opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Almost finished my Absolute Authorities, and they are defiantly on the keep pile, never can be underestimate how important the Authority is and how it shaped modern comics (in my humble opinion)
    I absolutely agree at least about the original Ellis series. I remember liking the Millar run too but last time I've read it I've found the tone unnecessarily mean (in a bit juvenile way). I don't mind lots of people dying in these series but I think Ellis and Hitch did it with a purpose while Millar was doing a lot of things just to show how badass and cool the characters are but it just became off putting at points.

Currently reading The League of Extraordinary Gentleman Volume 3: Century.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

I’ve been reading Invincible. The story is good, and sometimes I think the art is horrible on one page, but can be beautiful on the next. I’m about halfway through the run, and really like it.

Incredible Member

Continuing on reading Swamp Thing. Its one of my night table books. I am now 4-5 issues into the Pasko Saga of the Swamp Thing run. Realy liking it a lot. It has a lot lf the Len Wein horror elements which I enjoy and the art is nice. This run is probably most famous for being the run before Moore but its worth a read. Working on finishing this before I read Moores run in TP. I had read the first TP a while back. (Was great but was hoping for an omnibus by now which I have given up for now).
    On another note, I had finished the Rann Thanagar war in Infinite Crisis. It did help I had read some Adam Strange Silver Age before. Also really enjoyed the Spectre storyline overall although it took me a few issues to get into the arc. For these large interconnected books, it does help to know who the main characters are.

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    Continuing on reading Swamp Thing. Its one of my night table books. I am now 4-5 issues into the Pasko Saga of the Swamp Thing run. Realy liking it a lot. It has a lot lf the Len Wein horror elements which I enjoy and the art is nice. This run is probably most famous for being the run before Moore but its worth a read. Working on finishing this before I read Moores run in TP. I had read the first TP a while back. (Was great but was hoping for an omnibus by now which I have given up for now).
    From the ST Bronze Age Omni, I really liked the first 20 or so issues from the 70s (especially Berni Wrightson art) and took a month-long break before I read the rest. It wasn’t as good as the 70’s run, or Moore’s, for that matter, but it wasn’t bad.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    From the ST Bronze Age Omni, I really liked the first 20 or so issues from the 70s (especially Berni Wrightson art) and took a month-long break before I read the rest. It wasn’t as good as the 70’s run, or Moore’s, for that matter, but it wasn’t bad.
    I needed the break after the Len Wein run to appreciate what came after. Its not genius material but enjoyable and solid. I read a few issues right after the Len Wein stuff at the time and didn't love them. It felt like a step back. When I went back, I enjoyed it a lot more. I half expected the Pasko stuff to be a struggle to get through but find myself enjoying it.

It was a fun read...one of my few blind buys.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    Currently reading The League of Extraordinary Gentleman Volume 3: Century.
    So how is this? I really loved the first two, read the softcover omnibus a couple years ago but keep putting off getting more LOEG. No reason, just too much other stuff to buy. Does it live up to the first parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post
    So how is this? I really loved the first two, read the softcover omnibus a couple years ago but keep putting off getting more LOEG. No reason, just too much other stuff to buy. Does it live up to the first parts?
    I know you didn't ask me but since I love this whole series thought you won't mind my two cents.
    To me the best volume is vol 2 (War of the worlds) but I even enjoyed Black dossier which gets a lot of crap for some reason. Yes it's experimental a bit with all the prose stuff in it but they are mostly fun reads (I only had problems with the free flowing bit that meant to imitate Kerouac's style I believe.).
    I think people lost interest in later volumes because the story moved forward in time and it's not a victorian steam punk adventure any more. But I still found it very entertaining how Moore incorporated all kinds of popcultural elements. He might went too far a couple of times with the genital stuff but it didn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post
    I'm only a couple of issues in, so I haven't really formed much of an opinion yet.

I'm one of the people that Balakin mentioned who didn't like The Black Dossier, but I don't hate it. I love the first 2 volumes, and I reread them quite often. I've still got The Black Dossier to complete the set, so I might give it another read one day to see if my opinion can be changed. I think I wanted it to be more like the first 2 volumes and as stupid as it sounds, there was too much reading in it lol.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Alan Moore Fanboy ZorakLovesComics's Avatar

I've read a majority of it. I'm one Nemo book behind (Which I've been enjoying). I always saw it as a natural step forward. This is a comic set in a world of connected fiction and it makes sense to explore the various periods of literature. That being said, Centuries is divisive to say the least. Reading it, depends if you want to complete the story or if you're really into Moore's comics. I don't think it was awful but I definitely think this is Moore's weakest entry in the story. There's some cool concepts for sure but nothing mind blowing. My biggest gripe is a certain incident with a magical character gets a bit gratuitous to the point, I almost vomited. No joke. Others may feel different.

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Currently ripping thru “The Strange Talent of Luther Strode”. It’s a really wild story that gets into the action pretty quickly and keeps the petal to the metal pretty much the entire way. I’d recommend it if you like stuff like Kick-Ass or Invincible or other “Rated R” superhero stories.

Thanks for all the feedback on LOEG! Like you all said, the first two volumes are great and some of my favorite stuff by Moore. I'm really hoping they do new printings of the Absolute editions so I can buy those.

And I expected the later volumes to not be as good (how could they be?) but it sounds like they really take a step down. I actually don't mind some prose being mixed in, since I kind of expect it from Moore, but getting away from the period of the first volumes would be a little disappointing. I mean obviously the concept of Centuries is moving the story forward in time so that's expected I guess. I'll still pick them up but temper my expectations.