Page 176 of 219 FirstFirst ... 76126166172173174175176177178179180186 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,640 of 3284

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    X-Men: Eve of Destruction OHC - just started with a Magneto-centric miniseries. Off to a good start . This is the final oversized collection of X-Men / Uncanny X-Men before Grant Morrison takes over (can't wait to read his run).

This means that this year I have read most of the 90s X-Men/Uncanny X-Men stuff:

- X-Force Omnibus
    - X-Cutioner's Song OHC
    - Deadpool & X-Force Omnibus
    - X-Men Shattershot OHC
    - X-Men Fatal Attractions OHC
    - Wedding of Cyclops & Phoenix OHC
    - Cable & X-Force Omnibus
    - Phalanx Covenant OHC
    - Legionquest OHC
    - Age of Apocalypse Omnibus (this was a re-read for me)
    - Road to Onslaught Omnibus (custom omnibus collecting the three Road to... TPBs)
    - Onslaught Omnibus
    - The Trial of Gambit Custom Omnibus (includes Onslaught aftermath and Trial of Gambit TPBs)
    - X-Men Operation Zero Tolerance OHC
    - X-Men Blue TPB
    - X-Men Gold TPB
    - X-Men The Hunt for Professor X TPB
    - Magneto War TPB
    - X-Men vs Apocalypse: The Twelve Omnibus
    - X-Men Revolution Omnibus

When I'm done with Eve of Destruction, I think I will take a break from X-Men
    Impressive read-a-ton!

Though I kinda feel sorry for you, if you really stop with X-Men right when it's about to get good again - after having gone through all that late 90's drivel...

I haven't read the Revolution stuff myself though (apart from the trade near the end where you-know-who sacrifices himself). Is it better than the material preceding it, or much in the same vein?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

X-Men: Inferno

This is the original OHC (not the recent omni) which collects the Uncanny, X-Factor, and New Mutants issues, as well as the X-Terminators mini series. I haven't read any of these issues in like 25 yrs, and most of it doesn't hold up that well. I appreciate it in broad strokes for what it did for the overall X-narrative and realize it was kinda important to the franchise in general, but there's sooo much filler here! Louise Simonson writes 80% of the material, and while I like her in general, it seems like she got stuck filling in the blanks to Claremont's larger plot. The only decent art here is Silvestri's, and even then he was still a long way from peaking here. It's rough. Even Walt Simonson - whom I usually like - falls flat.

If I never read the X-Terminators mini (or assault my eyes with Bogdanove art) ever again, it will be too soon.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    X-Men: InfernoIf I never read the X-Terminators mini (or assault my eyes with Bogdanove art) ever again, it will be too soon.
    This pretty much sums up my feelings on that series as well. Worst X-related series I've read.

One of my favorite comic books of all time.
    Champions Classic: The Complete Collection
    518D1Z8SPDL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My solo exchange diary vol 1-2: the sequel to My lesbian experience with loneliness, focusing on the mental health parts even more this time. Sometimes a miserable read but I can't put it down. I really hope the author will manage to live a nice, fulfilling life one day. (based on the title of the next book in the series I won't get my hopes up just yet).

A witch's love at the end of the world: 3 volume lesbian witch manga. I really like the set up and the conflict but I think it should've been longer because the end felt a bit unearned. I would watch a 2-3 season anime of this but the manga felt a bit hollow.

Blue Giant vol 3-4: the second 2-in-1 volume of the manga about a kid who wants to make it as a jazz saxophone player. Absolutely loving it.

Kageki shojo vol 1: This one had a prequel before (KS: The curtain rises) which is quite essential for the story (it really was just a chunky vol 1). Girls go to a specialized high school that trains them to be members of an all girl traditional Japanese theatre group. It's been a few months since I've read the first volume and I was afraid I won't recognize any of the characters but I fell right back into their world and can't wait for more volumes. Kinda wish it was released in bigger chunks like Blue giants cause I just want to read more.

Tea Dragon society: what a beautiful, gentle and warm book. I really need to find vol 2 or just wait for the paperback reprint I guess. It's just about people (and magical creature people) taking care of cute little dragons that grow tea leaves on them. Beautiful art, truly all ages book. Good vibes, loved it.

Nameless city vol 1: thanks for the recommendation newparisian, will be buying the other two volumes eventually. Basically a critical depiction of colonialism for children in a fictional version of China. Intriguing story, good characters, good art. Very very solid middle grade (but really all ages) story.

Wynd book 1: Don't think I've ever read any Tynion before but I can see why people like him so much. Will definitely check out more of his indie work.
    Fantasy world where humans try to live separately from magical beings but keep getting "infected" with magic. Lot of metaphors for otherness (also the main character is openly gay and it's nice to see some male gay rep) and it works really well, also good world building and I'm quite curious where this will go.
    I can very much see this being adapted to an animated series.

Poison Ivy: Thorns: breaking my "no big two" rule cause this just looked like right up my alley (also bought it in my LCS so at least I supported them). Gothic horror flavoured YA origin for Ivy, lesbian romance, patriarchy, secrets in the basement etc. Good stuff, some of the issues the books dealt with were a bit too on the nose but it was engaging and I really liked the art style and the colours.

The girl from the sea: Molly Knox Ostertag didn't disappoint. A selkie (mytical creature that turns from seal to human) comes to land, falls in love with a human who isn't out of the closet yet and also just going through some weird times cause she is 16.
    Literally just finished it like 10 minutes ago so dunno what to say other than I loved it and I just want more books from Ostertag.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Nameless city vol 1: thanks for the recommendation newparisian, will be buying the other two volumes eventually. Basically a critical depiction of colonialism for children in a fictional version of China. Intriguing story, good characters, good art. Very very solid middle grade (but really all ages) story.

Wynd book 1: Don't think I've ever read any Tynion before but I can see why people like him so much. Will definitely check out more of his indie work.
    Fantasy world where humans try to live separately from magical beings but keep getting "infected" with magic. Lot of metaphors for otherness (also the main character is openly gay and it's nice to see some male gay rep) and it works really well, also good world building and I'm quite curious where this will go.
    I can very much see this being adapted to an animated series.

The girl from the sea: Molly Knox Ostertag didn't disappoint. A selkie (mytical creature that turns from seal to human) comes to land, falls in love with a human who isn't out of the closet yet and also just going through some weird times cause she is 16.
    Literally just finished it like 10 minutes ago so dunno what to say other than I loved it and I just want more books from Ostertag.
    Cheers re: Nameless City.

Tynion has a sizable library of creator owned material. I enjoyed the Woods and am currently reading Something is Killing the Children and Dept of Truth. The first issue of the Nice House on the Lake was solid too.

I've had my eye on Girl from the Sea. Hmmm...

I've just finished reading the first TPB of Die. I wasn't feeling it to begin with but after a few of issues, I'm in. I'll be ordering volume 2.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post

Tynion has a sizable library of creator owned material. I enjoyed the Woods and am currently reading Something is Killing the Children and Dept of Truth. The first issue of the Nice House on the Lake was solid too.

I recently read the first 2 TPBs of Something Is Killing The Children. I'm liking it. I do like Tynion but I've not tried Dept of Truth yet.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I've just finished reading the first TPB of Die. I wasn't feeling it to begin with but after a few of issues, I'm in. I'll be ordering volume 2.
    Stick with it. I was also "this is fine but not setting my world on fire" after vol 1. But vol 2-3 really upped the game.

Woods and Something is killing the children are definitely on my list. I think there's gonna be a deluxe of Something ... but I might just get the trades since my lcs had the first. (I stopped caring about deluxes, even tho they are nice, but I just want to read good stuff really)

If you enjoyed The Witchboy you get the same quality with Girl from the sea but more focused on the romance and teenage life than the plot. (but there is a plot too)

Stick with it. I was also "this is fine but not setting my world on fire" after vol 1. But vol 2-3 really upped the game.
    I will stick with it

I've just finished reading Giant Days Volume 7.

Currently halfway through Superman : Exile and Other Stories omnibus. Really enjoying the stories in this collection as a first time reader. I find the work compiled in this volume to be a lot stronger and more entertaining than Bryne's work that kick-started this era of Superman comics.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I am going through the Final Crisis Ómnibus and Bronze Age Justice League volume 3. I just read issue 153 with Earth Prime and Ultra. The art is by George Tuska and it funny how dynamic the Marvel/Kirby style reads. Dick Dillin is elegant and his poses look classical but sometimes the action leaves me cold. I am surprised how much of Morrison’s JLA and Multiversity are updates of these ideas and villains. Libra is a terrific villain in Final Crisis and the old JLA. I like the supplemental Titans books in Final Crisis. Clock King is a better villain than I expected.

World of Black Hammer 3 at work
    Swamp Thing omni by Nancy Collins at home

I recently read:

Ironheart: Those With Courage via Comixology. I wasn't familiar with the character, beside knowing of her existence and maybe she showed up as a secondary character in a comicbook I read years ago, but I'm not that sure. I enjoyed it a lot.

All New Wolverine: The Four Sisters, in a spanish edition. I Loved it, I'm probably gonna collect the whole series

Last edited by Chubistian; 08-08-2021 at 10:53 AM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH