Page 134 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138 ... LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,010 of 2074
  1. #1996
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,186

    Default

    I bought a bunch of Vietnam War comics several years ago and only read Vietnam Journal. Yesterday I went back to these issues and read the first 15 issues of The 'Nam. What a fantastic read. I'm not familiar with Golden's art style but his characters looked somewhat like caricatures which unfortunately made his black characters drawn a bit racist. Other than that, it's been an entertaining read. I'm planning to read them in chronological order with Savage Tales (Nam stories only), Punisher: Platoon, Born, Semper Fi (Nam stories only) and the Hearts and Minds graphic novel.

  2. #1997
    Amazing Member Hive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Almost done with the Wolverine Goes to Hell omnibus by Jason Aaron. I have been enjoying most of it, though the quality does vary throughout. Not always a fan of the artwork, but I've seen a lot worse. I liked how the main arch of Wolverine in hell kept developing while offering up new mysteries, though his interactions with the devil were a bit... too much at times. The highlights of the book for me were the parts involving Cyclops, I really enjoy how militant he was written at the time.

    This is my first omnibus, and while I like the quality of the format (not to mention how good it looks on my shelf), I do find it a bit cumbersome to physically read - compared to smaller volumes. And given that the contents of this volume could easily have been split up in 2-3 volumes without hurting the flow, I would have preferred such an approach.

  3. #1998
    Spectacular Member FreakyFraser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    Almost done with the Wolverine Goes to Hell omnibus by Jason Aaron. I have been enjoying most of it, though the quality does vary throughout. Not always a fan of the artwork, but I've seen a lot worse. I liked how the main arch of Wolverine in hell kept developing while offering up new mysteries, though his interactions with the devil were a bit... too much at times. The highlights of the book for me were the parts involving Cyclops, I really enjoy how militant he was written at the time.

    This is my first omnibus, and while I like the quality of the format (not to mention how good it looks on my shelf), I do find it a bit cumbersome to physically read - compared to smaller volumes. And given that the contents of this volume could easily have been split up in 2-3 volumes without hurting the flow, I would have preferred such an approach.
    I considered buying the omni but I found the Premiere Hardcovers of the main story for super cheap and found I only liked the story, nothing more. If I ever come across the omni super cheap I'd buy it mainly for the look of it on my shelf lol

  4. #1999
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Just finished reading the Astonishing X-Men omni. Enjoyed it for the most part. I’m annoyed though by bringing dead characters back. Cheapens the original events somewhat. Though marvel for sure isn’t the only guilty party in this.

  5. #2000
    Amazing Member Hive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nab432 View Post
    Just finished reading the Astonishing X-Men omni. Enjoyed it for the most part. I’m annoyed though by bringing dead characters back. Cheapens the original events somewhat. Though marvel for sure isn’t the only guilty party in this.
    Yeah both Marvel and DC have been ruining deaths for many years now to a point where they now mean absolutely nothing. They need to do fewer of them and instead make them permanent, they need to quit doing all the obvious resurrections.

  6. #2001
    Amazing Member Hive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyFraser View Post
    I considered buying the omni but I found the Premiere Hardcovers of the main story for super cheap and found I only liked the story, nothing more. If I ever come across the omni super cheap I'd buy it mainly for the look of it on my shelf lol
    Eh, don't buy it. Wolverine goes to hell and Schism was great, but if you have those already, there's no reason to get the omni. The Spider-Man story was decent but the Chinatown/Tokyo story, which was about 1/5 of the book, wwas pretty bad. Too silly while trying too hard to be out of place funny - and I've read enough Wolverine vs. ninjas in Japan stories as is...

  7. #2002
    Mighty Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    WGBS
    Posts
    1,866

    Default

    I finished the first 5 Hellblazer Trades. I made it all the way to Dangerous Habits. I really enjoyed the Delano run, I think he ended up setting a lot of character work down that Ennis runs with effortlessly. Dangerous Habits definitely felt tighter than the other books. I have book 6 Bloodlines on deck! (Side note my tpb of Dangerous Habits started to lose pages. I love those thick Vertigo trades but this one fell apart.) I also re-read Brubaker Philips Incognito. Sleeper gets all the praise but Incognito really benefits from being more compact.

  8. #2003
    Spectacular Member captchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    107

    Default

    I'm reading Fantastic Four 11-20 in the original Marvel Masterwork hardcover edition.

  9. #2004
    Mighty Member Steroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,395

    Default

    Currently reading the UXM volume 1 omnibus. As long as I have been reading comics i have never read these issues. So far at issue #111 and it's been a wonderful read. I'm starting to really understand where Storm and Jean fans have been coming from now that I'm diving into this material.

  10. #2005
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Currently reading the UXM volume 1 omnibus. As long as I have been reading comics i have never read these issues. So far at issue #111 and it's been a wonderful read. I'm starting to really understand where Storm and Jean fans have been coming from now that I'm diving into this material.
    My copy is on the way, and like you I haven't read these before. In honesty, I haven't read much X-Men at all. I'm hoping to get through it fast enough so I'll know if I should get the following books that are also being reprinted.

  11. #2006
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Florida, US
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Finished Superman/Batman Vol I (Loeb/McGuiness/Turner), and really enjoyed the whole thing overall.
    Now reading "The Return of Barry Allen" - Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novel Edition.

  12. #2007
    Spectacular Member Dr Hank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
    My copy is on the way, and like you I haven't read these before. In honesty, I haven't read much X-Men at all. I'm hoping to get through it fast enough so I'll know if I should get the following books that are also being reprinted.
    I envy a first-read again...and vol. 2 is even better!

  13. #2008
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Currently reading the UXM volume 1 omnibus. As long as I have been reading comics i have never read these issues. So far at issue #111 and it's been a wonderful read. I'm starting to really understand where Storm and Jean fans have been coming from now that I'm diving into this material.
    Quote Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
    My copy is on the way, and like you I haven't read these before. In honesty, I haven't read much X-Men at all. I'm hoping to get through it fast enough so I'll know if I should get the following books that are also being reprinted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post
    I envy a first-read again...and vol. 2 is even better!
    This was my first ever Omnibus purchase some 8-9 years ago and my first ever Omnibus read. Quite excellent. You'll want to purchase Vol. 2 as Vol. 1 breaks off during the Dark Phoenix saga. Personally, I'm not an X-Men fan but this was a great era.

  14. #2009
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post
    I envy a first-read again...and vol. 2 is even better!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    This was my first ever Omnibus purchase some 8-9 years ago and my first ever Omnibus read. Quite excellent. You'll want to purchase Vol. 2 as Vol. 1 breaks off during the Dark Phoenix saga. Personally, I'm not an X-Men fan but this was a great era.
    Sounds good! Yeah if I End up liking it I will lost likely get vol 2-4 as well. Really wanna read the first run as well and Will try to Hunt down the Epics for those.

  15. #2010
    Mighty Member Steroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post
    I envy a first-read again...and vol. 2 is even better!
    Just finished volume 1 and it was fantastic, I definitely have to get the Vol. 2 reprint when it comes out and if I like it will get the others. Was definitely shocked to learn that the series was bimonthly for a good chunk of the early run.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •