Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
I have a different opinion on things. I think people only have different opinions/tastes because they all have different knowledges, expériences and educations.
With proper and complete eduction, people would be able to analyse better things: a story, a drawing, a composition, a characterisation, ... and therefore have lesser subjective opinions on "art" in general.
But to acquire such education it takes a very long time and a lot of will. That's why mostly when people tell you they like something, they don't really have arguments, they just like it.
If someone can give you lots detailed arguments with lots of comparisons and counterexemples, his saying that this is better than this is probably more true. But since most don't have that knowledge, who cares.
But I thing knowing more would broaden peoples minds and creat less conflicts over meaningless stuff. And people would fight less and agree more with eath other. Making evering simpler.
I very much agree and disagree at the same time
I LOVE critical analysis and I always try my best to give a reason why I dislike or like something, partially because I want people to have a better perspective on the subject matter, not just "me likey" or "me hate, so it's garbage and don't read".
But also it develops you as a person when you contextualize your own feelings.
Why do I like A book better than B book? Is it something in the art piece that works or doesn't work or is it just my personal feelings towards certain elements in it?
The problem is that people can't be experts on everything and let's be honest, being experts about comics is probably one of the least important of them (although I still want comic book criticism to exist, no question).
I much prefer movie criticism and analysis over comic book discussions so obviously I try to focus on that (but still keeping an eye on comics), but reviewing other mediums is getting increasingly harder (prose books, theatre, music) since there is only so much time in the day I can spend on consuming media.
Also, even if we can admit that something is objectively good, there's still gonna be a subjective element, because art is still not a mechanical process where you do X thing to access Y emotion.
No matter how much I tell my younger friends who grew up on High school musical (which according to them is A MUST SEE, and I actually watched them all + the spin off) that the Witch is probably the best horror movie of the last decade, they just gonna say "nah mate...it's boring and pish" and that's it. (and probably there's gonna be some of you here who think the same, even if you actually developed a finer taste in cinema than my friends).
The same thing that makes me love the movie (atmosphere, personal drama, the bleakness, the weirdly sinister but positive ending, etc) makes them hate it and there's nothing I say do that would change it.
But also, they approach movie watching very differently than I do. It just has a different function in their lives than in mine.

But we change as we age too, and develop a taste for things we used to hate and and loose some we used to love.
I never cared for jidaigeki/chambara up until fairly recently, and now I'm obsessed with it, but a few years ago I've realized a comic book I used to love (just to stir things back to comics) now I absolutely can't stand even tho I very much respect the craftsmanship involved (it's The Goon).

Anyways, I very much agree that people should develop a more analytical approach sometimes but some things will still remain subjective, no matter what. Diversity of opinion is what makes life interesting.