Page 126 of 219 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130136176 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 3272

Avengers Arena and Avengers Undercover by Dennis Hopeless:
    I don't think I've ever read anything from Hopeless before, but these two series made me want to seek out more of his stuff (oh hey he wrote Spider-man...Greg Land on art...riddled with tie ins...nevermind).

Arena is an obvious cash in on the Hunger games craze that was going on at the time, but it's well written, I cared about the characters (more than I did in Avengers academy with those set of heroes, but I really should go back and give that series another read) the art is mostly good, especially Kev Walker, and Hopeless is not afraid to shake things up a bit.
    Also they explain why it's a Hunger games/Battle Royale rip off. But even if they didn't I think that concept is strong enough to work with teenage superheroes (especially with the added drama of them being basically sworn to be the good guys and then slowly watch them turn against each other).
    Undercover is a good sequel, maybe not as good as Arena but it's still engaging and I would like to see this group of kids forming a team and having some further development (make them the new Runaways maybe, although that ship has probably sailed by now).

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I am re-reading Stray Bullets Uber Alles and re-watching The Wire. Stray Bullets is a brutal world and the characters feel real. The book takes off from issue 1. Issue 6 introduces the character Amy Racecar and I have forgotten how inventive this book was, but I remember the sense of menace.

The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller. I’ve owned it for 30+ years and never read it before. Enjoying it so far through chapter one.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

I'm reading a Dutch series Agent 327. I love this. The first stories were wrtten in the 60's. I'm now up to the 80's. This year two new collected editions will follow. In total there will be 8.

b6205e7afe89d03e474af95a829b0a7143c34ab4.jpg

Wicked+Divine:
    Kieron Gillen in his most Kieron Gillen form but if you like his "look at me, I'm cool and doing cool things in my cool sunglasses but also not giving a hoot" style of character writing (which I do!) then this series is an absolute blast.
    A fairly simple concept, with the 12 gods being reborn every 90 years in the bodies of teenagers but they only live for 2 years, then the whole thing just spirals out from that, multiple twists and turns keep the plot intriguing and very engaging.
    The gods being portrayed as rock stars makes sense (especially since they are teenagers) and even the more obnoxious characters grew on me after a while.
    Also I really like a well constructed urban fantasy and for me this is a prime example of that.
    I'm usually not a fan of McKelvie's art style, it's too clean and static for me but after a while I started enjoying it a lot and now have a newfound appreciation for it.

How is this not a tv show already?

Spectacular Member

I got to the end of the 2nd hardcover of Wicked + Divine and decided it was a decent jumping off point. I wasn't really getting much of a payoff, I appreciated some of the plotting but some aspects (dialogue, depth of characters) was not really working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by madave View Post
    I got to the end of the 2nd hardcover of Wicked + Divine and decided it was a decent jumping off point. I wasn't really getting much of a payoff, I appreciated some of the plotting but some aspects (dialogue, depth of characters) was not really working for me.
    Totally understand if the style of writing is not for you although the series was only half way done at that point so of course you were not getting much of a payoff
    I've just binged the whole thing so might be a different experience although I've read the first 2 ohcs before when they came out.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Daredevil by Brubaker v1. What a big difference between him and Bendis. Bru is a master at street level character storytelling. Bendis’ DD run is pretty good too, but not as good as Bru’s.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Just wrapped up K Vaughan’s and Tony Harris’ Ex Machina. Great read...dark but made sense. The most powerful man in the world, with a voice that controls machines, ends up politically powerless and without a voice. Really enjoyed the run. Think it was a little rushed towards the end, but #50 saved it.
    Brian K Vaughan is one of a handful of writers who can really, really stick the landing. Very satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Daredevil by Brubaker v1. What a big difference between him and Bendis. Bru is a master at street level character storytelling. Bendis’ DD run is pretty good too, but not as good as Bru’s.
    I always felt it was a fairly seemless transition but this is a big debate that will forever divide DD fans.
    Who is the best at pushing Matt further and further into the abyss for our entertainment?
    Bendis? Brubaker? Miller?

I prefer Bendis to Brubaker but it's not a significant difference (almost flip of a coin) and the third place is reserved for Zdarsky.

Amazing Member

OK guys looking for some advice over the long weekend. What Omnibus should be next up?

Doom Patrol by Morrison (also have Invisibles but figured I would do them in order)
    Thor by Simonson
    Uncanny Avengers (just finished first read of Uncanny X Force a few weeks ago)
    New X Men
    Wonder Woman by Simone
    Last edited by lodebone; 05-22-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lodebone View Post
    OK guys looking for some advice over the long weekend. What Omnibus should be next up?

Doom Patrol by Morrison (also have Invisibles but figured I would do them in order)
    Thor by Simonson
    Uncanny Avengers (just finished first read of Uncanny X Force a few weeks ago)
    New X Men
    Wonder Woman by Simone
    not that there is any continuity between Doom Patrol and the Invisibles but DP is probably a good warm up. It's weird but structurally the stories are easy to follow, while Invisibles is all over the map, experimenting and doing it's own thing.
    As to what to start first, it depends on the mood you are in I guess. I always just go by what I feel like, no point forcing yourself (for whatever reason).

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I always felt it was a fairly seemless transition but this is a big debate that will forever divide DD fans.
    Who is the best at pushing Matt further and further into the abyss for our entertainment?

I prefer Bendis to Brubaker but it's not a significant difference (almost flip of a coin) and the third place is reserved for Zdarsky.
    Zdarsky really surprised me. I think I only read one or two books before his DD run and didn't think he was amazing or anything, but what he has done on DD is phenomenal. I hope he stays on the book a very long time. Even if he only does 40 or so issues, if it stays at this level, it will shoot up my list of all time DD runs.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post

Zdarsky has definitely taken him there.

One of my favorite series from the '70s
    The Champions
    81i6d2Lu5uL.jpg