Page 18 of 220 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Reading primarily Preacher Absolute 1 (Fantastic), Shang Chi Omnibus 1 (really enjoying this. Well written, nice art, stories which draw me in. I never heard of this when I was younger. It was a bit before my time maybe, but also never came across old issues either. Have vol 2 coming. Already picked up 3/4 in an IST sale). Flash Silver Age TP 2 (Fun 60s DC stories. I pick it up when I want a quick fun story. Liked it enough to order Flash Omnibus 2 along with Shang Chi 2).
    I have a bunch of partly finished Omnibus'. A bunch of DC stuff (Doom Patrol Silver Age, Brave and the Bold, Green Lanern etc). All great stuff which I go back to when I want a different one and done type story.

I am reading through three omnibus volumes at the moment: Golden Age Batman vol. 4, Golden Age Green Arrow vol. 1 and Bronze Age Justice League vol. 1.

BANNED

At the moment I'm going through a bit of an incomplete Moon Knight TPB chronology starting with the Epics vols 1 & 2.

The first epic is a bit of a mixed bag. His first WWBN appearance was solid, but I found the following 2-part Marvel Premiere and 4-part Defenders appearance a bit of a slog to get through. After those issues though, and especially once Moench and Sienkiewicz were paired up, the character concept really started to gel quickly and the stories became more and more engaging. I found myself really hoping they put out at least one more Epic to finish off the Moench/Sienkiewicz era of MK... or an Omni to get to see some of that great art in some oversized glory.

Also read the 1st 2 TPBs of Ostrander's Spectre... still love this series, with Mandrake's pencils complementing the storytelling perfectly, and it's a shame more of Ostrander's DC work hasn't been collected (I'm still waiting for them to announce the last volume completing his Suicide Squad run). I think what struck me most about both Moench and Ostrander's writing is how much credit guys like Miller and Moore get for gritty, dark and/or realistic storytelling, when these guys were right up there with them, telling dark and mature stories, often in quite thought provoking ways... all without having to resort to shock value.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Received my Walt Simonson Thor Omnibus on Friday and am about halfway through it.

I read some of these when they originally came out, but it's been more than 30 years, so I forgot how great these were. I like the new coloring, but wish they would have displayed the covers as they originally appeared, with logo, etc.

Highly recommend picking this up. Only complaint is the paper seems a tad thin.

Really struggling to get through Woods' Viking trades, they really are boring me, but i will not be defeated

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Really struggling to get through Woods' Viking trades, they really are boring me, but i will not be defeated
    why are you so determined? Usually if you don't like something you drop it mercilessly.

I've just finished DMZ and I'm not quite sure what to think of it. I liked it and I didn't. At first it was a rollercoasters of things that happened. And I got really into the story. But at other times it was a drag to go through. It should have finished earlier I think and some of the fillers should have been left out. The ending was a bit disappointing to me too. So overall it was a good read, but it could be better.
    I've also read The Massive from Wood and that one I sold on. I don't know whether I sell this one, but I know it's my last Wood for a while.
    Last edited by JPAR; 02-08-2018 at 05:59 AM.

Currently reading the Wytches TPB.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    why are you so determined? Usually if you don't like something you drop it mercilessly.
    Everything I sell lately I seem to lose quite a bit of cash, so I’m ploughing through this one so at least I feel like I haven’t completely wasted 50 odd quid before I end up selling them for about a tenner

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Ok so as part of my New Avengers run I finished Thor/Iron Man/Cap Disassembled, Secret War and House of M.
    Where are the Thor/Iron Man/Captain America Disassembled arcs collected?

Thanks

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Where are the Thor/Iron Man/Captain America Disassembled arcs collected?

Thanks
    OHC with that name.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    OHC with that name.
    Hah!

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Everything I sell lately I seem to lose quite a bit of cash, so I’m ploughing through this one so at least I feel like I haven’t completely wasted 50 odd quid before I end up selling them for about a tenner
    You should try the FB group if you haven't already. At least there are no ebay fees there.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

I really wish they’d reprint the Silver Surfer Omnibus. That’s what I’d LIKE to read after I polish off this Simonson Thor omnibus.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Recently finished reading the Spider-Man: The Other OHC. It was pretty average. The story was ok but I disliked the art by Mike Wieringo and especially the Marvel Knights issues by Pat Lee. The ASM issues by Mike Deodato Jr weren't bad.

Anyone read this Spidey event and can comment as to whether there were any further consequences for Spidey with regards to "the Other" down the line?