Page 72 of 221 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 3305

Rick and Morty HC vol 3 at work, Absolute Kingdom Come at home

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    I just started reading The Incal. I have the coffee table sized version and read the first volume (out of 6) yesterday. I have to say that even though I have no clue what's going on so far I am intrigued. These coffee table books are significantly bigger than DC Absolutes and seeing Moebius' art in that format is amazing. Looking forward to reading the second volume tonight.
    Wow, it's been a while since I posted here. Read quite a bit in the meantime:

- The Incal (coffee table size editions 1-6)
    - Black Science Deluxe Hardcovers 1 and 2
    - American vampire Omnibus
    - Before the Incal Slipcase Edition
    - Castle in the Stars Hardcover volume 2

Currently halfway through the second Knightfall Omnibus.

I am reading Batman the War Years. A collection of stories from the 40s. It also has several articles on how batman writers handed the war. It is a great hardcover read. I also have Superman the war years that I am going to read next. My mom got them for me for Christmas and found them on Wish.com of all places.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I am reading Batman the War Years. A collection of stories from the 40s. It also has several articles on how batman writers handed the war. It is a great hardcover read. I also have Superman the war years that I am going to read next. My mom got them for me for Christmas and found them on Wish.com of all places.
    You might want to check out a thread in the Batman forum section then:
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Anybody ever buy this?

Batman: The War Years 1939-1945:
    Presenting over 20 classic full length Batman tales from the DC comics vault!
    by Roy Thomas (Author)

For more than 75 years, through countless comics, television, and movies, Batman has been a symbol of strength and perseverance. He was created in 1939, on the brink of World War II — a volatile time, when we needed a hero most. Who better to come to the rescue than the Caped Crusader? For the first time, Batman: The War Years 1939-1945 details The Dark Knight's involvement in the war and his fight against some very real villains.

The poor little rich boy orphaned in a late-night robbery. The lad training for years so that one day he could avenge his parents' deaths. The bat that flies through the window at a crucial moment, inspiring Bruce Wayne with a name and a motif. All of these are wonderful elements in a timeless tale. By early 1940, both Batman and Robin were up and running in no less than two hit comic books. Bob Kane hired a teenager that he happened to meet—Jerry Robinson—to help him churn out what looked like a nice long run of Batman stories.

They didn't know the half of it.

For, as the Second World War loomed ever larger on the horizon, Batman was about to become big business, comic-book style.

https://www.amazon.com/Batman-1939-1.../dp/0785832831
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bat...=9780785832836
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...by-Roy-Thomas)

Incredible Member

I started the Silver Surfer Omnibus (Scott/Allred). I got through the first 3 issues. It is SOO good. I am really glad I picked this one up. It's not entirely how I picture the Silver Surfer talking/acting (although I haven't read THAT much with him) but I just loved reading the dialogue. It's pretty funny in parts.

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    I started the Silver Surfer Omnibus (Scott/Allred). I got through the first 3 issues. It is SOO good. I am really glad I picked this one up. It's not entirely how I picture the Silver Surfer talking/acting (although I haven't read THAT much with him) but I just loved reading the dialogue. It's pretty funny in parts.
    Got this for Christmas and wanted to jump in, but then watched the new season of Runaways which prompted me to crack open the Runaways Omnibus I was saving for later in the year (already read the series digitally last year when the first season debuted on Hulu).

Since I just started my re-read of Uncanny X-Men, I will have to read Silver Surfer during my first UXM break once I finish the first omnibus.

Not that I am complaining. It is nice to break up the older & newer material. Especially with a run as long as UXM.

All-New Member

Currently reading Hellboy omnibus vol 1, almost done with it. Although I'm enjoying the read, it's not as good as I have expected it to be. Hoping that the second and third volumes will be better as I couldn't prevent myself from buying them.
    Furthermore, just finishing these books this week:
    - kill or be killed vol 1
    - Deadly class vol 1
    - Deadly class vol 2

Both kill or be killed and deadly class were binge reading material, really enjoyed both titles.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by LukasGesquiere View Post
    Currently reading Hellboy omnibus vol 1, almost done with it. Although I'm enjoying the read, it's not as good as I have expected it to be. Hoping that the second and third volumes will be better as I couldn't prevent myself from buying them.
    Furthermore, just finishing these books this week:
    - kill or be killed vol 1
    - Deadly class vol 1
    - Deadly class vol 2

Both kill or be killed and deadly class were binge reading material, really enjoyed both titles.
    I've always thought Hellboy was lacking personally. BPRD is where it's at.

I just finished reading the Old Man Logan trade by Mark Millar.....I knew, going in, the film didn't have much in common with the original storyline by Millar, but literally the only similarities between the book and the film were the fact it's set in the future and it focuses on Wolverine. Also, I quite like some of Millar's work, but Old Man Logan has to be one of the worst comics he's ever written. How this comic ever became popular is beyond me. It goes into the same bin as Marvel Zombies as one of the most overrated comics I've read from the past 20 years.

I think I need to read some Moore or Morrison to help cleanse my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    I've always thought Hellboy was lacking personally. BPRD is where it's at.
    I remember buying the first Hellboy omnibus and didn't think much of it, either. I never tried BPRD out.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I just finished reading the Old Man Logan trade by Mark Millar.....I knew, going in, the film didn't have much in common with the original storyline by Millar, but literally the only similarities between the book and the film were the fact it's set in the future and it focuses on Wolverine. Also, I quite like some of Millar's work, but Old Man Logan has to be one of the worst comics he's ever written. How this comic ever became popular is beyond me. It goes into the same bin as Marvel Zombies as one of the most overrated comics I've read from the past 20 years.

I remember buying the first Hellboy omnibus and didn't think much of it, either. I never tried BPRD out.
    I remember reading OML and thinking the same thing. Enemy of the State was the much more entertaining Millar run imo, and even that wasn't great.

I always recommend BPRD but it does take a bit to pick up steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post

Yes, definitely the worst thing Millar has ever written...although strangely enough he followed it up with a bunch of the best stuff he's ever written (Jupiter's, Starlight, Huck, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Yes, definitely the worst thing Millar has ever written...although strangely enough he followed it up with a bunch of the best stuff he's ever written (Jupiter's, Starlight, Huck, etc).
    worse than Nemesis?
    or Wanted?

Although I can see what he was going for in both (same for OML).

As for Hellboy: I think it gets better with repeated readings. It has too much hype and when you first read it you might expect something bombastic but I think it's main strength is its atmosphere and the elegant and effortless way it's executed.
    Or at least it worked for me that way.
    Also not sure how well it works in the new omnibuses, I've always read it in publication order.

Just Finished:

- Chew Omnivor edition vol.1
    - Scalped French Omnibus vol.2
    - IDW Library of American Comics Essentials - 1934 Krazy Kat
    - Batman: White Knight french tpb
    - Daredavil by Franck Miller & Klaus Janson (3 volumes)
    - Punk Rock & Trailer Parks + My Friend Dahmer + Trashed
    - Batman by Neal Adam french Omnibus vol.1

Just Started:

- Spirou & Fantasio french omnibus vol.6
    - Snowpiercer french omnibus

Is waiting:

- Darkest Night french omnibus
    - Brightest Day french omnibus
    - Uncle Scrooge by Don Rosa french Omnibus (7 volumes)

Will get soon:

- Gotham Central french omnibus vol.2-4
    - Batman: New Gotham french Omnibus (3 volumes)
    - Batman: Murderer & Fugitive french Omnibus (3 volumes)
    - Chew Omnivor edition vol.2
    - Hellblazer, Vol. 3: The Fear Machine
    - Marvel Knights Daredevil by Smith & Quesada: Guardian Devil
    - Marvel Knights Daredevil by Mack & Quesada: Parts of a Hole
    - Marvel Knights Daredevil by Bendis, Jenkins, Gale & Mack: Unusual Suspects
    - Marvel Knights Daredevil by Bendis & Maleev: Underboss
    - Hulk: Future Imperfect / The End tpb
    - Hulk: Planet Hulk tpb
    - Donald Duck Dynasty by Carl Barks french omnibus (24 volumes)
    - Golden age of Mickey Mouse by Floyd Gottfredson french omnibus (12 volumes)
    - Romano Scarpa Omnibus (Mickey, Donal, and more Disney stories) (4 volumes but ongoing)
    - Teenage Mutan Ninja Turtules: Color Classics vol.2
    - Batman by Jim Aparo french omnibus vol.2
    - Batman by Neal Adams french omnibus vol.2
    - Spirou & Fantasio french omnibus vol.7-13
    - Lucky Luke New french Omnibus (3 volumes so far)
    - Kick Ass boxset
    - The Secret Service: Kingsman + Kingsman: The Big Exit + Kingsman: Red Diamond
    - TEOTFW (The End Of The Fucking World) tpb
    - Tom Strong french omnibus vol.1
    - Planetary book 1 & 2
    Last edited by jb681131; 01-11-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Just finished the second LE sized Alien book that DH released last year, and I must say there has never been a worse fit than Sam Keith and Aliens, the art is absolutely awful, I don’t think I have ever seen anything as bad in a comic, I remember his Maxx stuff, but this looks like a not particularly talented 10 year old has drawn it, I’m surprised DH didn’t just bin it when they received it

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    worse than Nemesis?
    or Wanted?

Although I can see what he was going for in both (same for OML).
    Personally I'd say yes. While Nemesis and Wanted can be brain-dead and offensive, OML is just lazy as hell and dumb. The laziest uninspired post-apocalyptic tropes, and those stupid X-Box's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Just finished the second LE sized Alien book that DH released last year, and I must say there has never been a worse fit than Sam Keith and Aliens, the art is absolutely awful, I don’t think I have ever seen anything as bad in a comic, I remember his Maxx stuff, but this looks like a not particularly talented 10 year old has drawn it, I’m surprised DH didn’t just bin it when they received it
    I'd disagree with this wholeheartedly. While it was a shock as a kid to open those beautiful Earth War covers and be presented with the radically different Sam Keith artwork, I think his xenomorphs and their surroundings are some of the most interesting in that universe.