Page 93 of 219 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143193 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 3284
    Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

About 150 pages into the first Batman Golden Age Omnibus.

Fortunately, it’s been a much quicker read than I was expecting. And Batman has killed a lot of people so far...

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Me too. First one was superquick, about to start the second one.
    One more here doing this. Trying to catch up with the series before the return.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    About 150 pages into the first Batman Golden Age Omnibus.

Fortunately, it’s been a much quicker read than I was expecting. And Batman has killed a lot of people so far...
    Yeah, a very dark and radical Batman. I remember starting to count the killings when I was reading the first two volumes of the Chronicles TPBs a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Hope it will "click" for you. But if not, there are plenty other books
    Nope, it didn’t, whereas i’m Reading invincible again at work and I’m just flying through it, fantastic stuff, I have had the last book on my shelf since it was released, unread, I thought it was worth a complete read through before I finished it off

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I just read through all the BWS Conan! I use to think Buscema was the only artist I could take for Conan but boy I was wrong. I definitely prefer Windsor Smith Conan over all others!!!

I had some interest in reading those Conans cause I never did when I was a youngster, but I have to draw the line somewhere lol. If I catch up on my other lines I might tackle them.

I finished the WW by Perez omni #2 a few days ago, very enjoyable. Slowed down a little for me during the "Cheetah" storyline, mostly because some of the dialect-writing got a little old to read. Finished strong, though I do miss Perez doing the art.

Currently about 200 pages into the Seven Soldiers omni and enjoying it so far, can't wait to see where it goes.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I finished reading Superman: Secret Identity The Deluxe Edition by Kurt Busiek & Stuart Immonen. What a very good read. I wasn't sure what to expect but I was very pleasantly surprised. Very interesting story with some fantastic art and colours. I'm not a big fan of "real life" art inside a comic such as Alex Ross, I prefer it on covers. I initially felt that's how would it be but it's more of a blend of reality and comic form. Some beautiful two page spreads.More a grounded tale such as Busiek's Marvels. I highly recommend it..

Last edited by Raffi Ol D'Arcy; 07-06-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post
    I had some interest in reading those Conans cause I never did when I was a youngster, but I have to draw the line somewhere lol. If I catch up on my other lines I might tackle them.

I finished the WW by Perez omni #2 a few days ago, very enjoyable. Slowed down a little for me during the "Cheetah" storyline, mostly because some of the dialect-writing got a little old to read. Finished strong, though I do miss Perez doing the art.

Currently about 200 pages into the Seven Soldiers omni and enjoying it so far, can't wait to see where it goes.
    I have the first omnibus and loved it! I would like the other two, but alas, funds :P
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I have the first omnibus and loved it! I would like the other two, but alas, funds :P
    What issues are in the Perez Wonder Woman collections? I actually just read the first 7 issues of that series this week. I have the first 11 and a few other sporadic early issues that I picked up as back issues in the 90s, when I first started collecting comics seriously. Because that's when I started, most of what I have from that series is after Perez left.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
    What issues are in the Perez Wonder Woman collections? I actually just read the first 7 issues of that series this week. I have the first 11 and a few other sporadic early issues that I picked up as back issues in the 90s, when I first started collecting comics seriously. Because that's when I started, most of what I have from that series is after Perez left.
    Yeah these are the first Wonder Woman I've ever read and I've loved them so far. The three omnis go from #1-62 plus a few other related issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post
    Yeah these are the first Wonder Woman I've ever read and I've loved them so far. The three omnis go from #1-62 plus a few other related issues.
    Looking online, I found cheaper TPBs, but they don't cover as many issues as the omnibus editions. But since I have most of the first TPB in individual issues already, that will be the best bet for me, if I want to start there.

And I agree that it's a great series, at least the first 7 issues that I've read so far. It's been so long that I really don't remember much, so I'm looking forward to re-reading what I have, and maybe getting some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Wonder Woman by George Perez Omnibus HC vol. 01 collects Wonder Woman (1987) #1-24 & Annual #1
    Wonder Woman by George Perez Omnibus HC vol. 02 collects Wonder Woman (1987) #25-45 & Annual #2
    Wonder Woman by George Perez Omnibus HC vol. 03 collects Wonder Woman (1987) #46-62 & War of the Gods #1-4 plus a few later stories

So far the new TPBs have each collected half of the contents of each omnibus so DC would need to release 6 of them in order to complete Perez's run. Three have been released but the fourth hasn't been solicited yet. However, there is an Amazon fish for the fourth voulme for early next year.

Absolute Preacher Vol. 2 baybee!

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I just finished the Jim Starlin Omnibus the Thanos Wars, and it was such a blast. It has the same big narrative feel of the 4th World Books, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, or Neil Gaiman's Sandman. Reading the Death of Captain Marvel and looking at all that lush art, all I could think of was how it reminded me of the Wake by Neil Gaiman. There are times in the early issues where the figures remind me of Wally Wood and then you look at one of the panels or a cover and there is a big canal covered Mars that has to be from an old E.C. comic. There is just so much going on, Ego, Cosmic Awareness, The High Evolutionary... The big battle with Captain Marvel, The Avengers, Warlock, and Thanos, it had to be a template for Infinity War just as much as the Infinity Gauntlet or the Hickman run. There is even a big moment with Thor. So much cool stuff and there is also an early sketch where Thanos is styled more like Metron rather than Darkseid. Oh and Superman! I know I see Superman everywhere but Adam Warlock/Captain Marvel, they are distant cousins of SHAZAM for sure but they also got a big dose of Kal-El in them. In many ways those two characters are early deconstructions of the Superman myth. And getting back to the Death of Captain Marvel, they totally remind me of the Last Days of Superman! So good! Now I am on to re-reading Morrison's Seven Soldiers.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 07-11-2019 at 06:48 PM.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

I finished off the first Batman Golden Age Omnibus last night. Batman keeps on killing, but less frequently towards the end of the volume. By this point, Robin has even killed at least two people.

Some things that came as a surprise to me:

The Batplane appears within the first few issues of this omnibus. Despite owning a car from the get-go, it is not called the Batmobile until issue #48 of Detective Comics. In the issue before that, Batman #4, Gotham City is finally mentioned by name for the first time. Robin is called "the Wonder Boy" almost as often as they refer to him as "the Boy Wonder." So far, no Batcave and no Alfred.

The biggest distraction in this book was the very poor lettering done in the first 75% of this omnibus. It was very difficult to read, but by the end, it seems they had people to do more legible text. Overall, I enjoyed reading these earliest issues of Batman and would recommend any Batfan to do so as well.

Edit: Corrected the issue numbers where the Batmobile and Gotham City are first referenced.
    Last edited by Graphic Autist; 07-12-2019 at 01:50 PM.